Couples that sled together.. article

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First Time - I being a city boy had to go out with my new girlfriends family sledding. This family has been a sledding family forever and my new girfriend grew up riding from age 3. I was put on an old Phazer and was constantly stuck. My future father in law got to pull my stuck pathetic newbie sledding a$$ out of the snow constantly all day. And he through in lots of comments about how poor of a rider I was every time he found me in a hole.

Best Time - All the sledding trips we take now with our 2 boys. So many good trips through the years it is hard to pick one.

Most Trying Time - Her sled broke down and we had to double back to the parking lot. I said "do you want to drive and I will hang off the back"? She said sure, got on the sled, hammered the throttle, pitched me off the back and instantly smoked a rock hidden in the snow and smashed in my front belly pan.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's see - first time as a couple with sleds: I bought her a late birthday present - a new 1997 S-chassis doo that had been lightweighted (was actually on display at the Edmonton show that year (hemi orange with blue accents and a 136 x 1.75" track) and had a 503 fanner in it. I recall she was some pissed at me at the time. Anyway, off we went to Mc Bride, to Belle Mountain. It took a few hours of coaxing to get her to climb the little hill, but she eventually did - she was a bit rattled from missing a couple turns on the trail up. I was pulling the kids on a sleigh, and dumped them accidentally on way up. Thier sledding careers were over until Mom bribed them with pizza for supper... they both rode until they moved out of home.

Best time: Riding Silent Pass with her on her 2004 Summit X 600. We had the kids along with thier own sleds, and another buddy on a 800 151 rev chassis - she found the perfect line up a hill and made it, although buddy made numerous passes and failed. Super proud of her for reading the terrain so well, and outriding the "boys".

Most trying time - meeting a groomer on way up to Mileage (Chappell). Scared the sh*t out of her - she bailed off the sled and wasn't happy at all. Just a bit more "coaxing" involved to get her back on the machine after that - ended up buying helmet communicators.

Most humorous: Using said communicators and listening to the profanity from her after she took flight off a jump in flat light (didn't see it coming). This was in the early days, and she became slightly addicted to "catching air" after that

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very first time.......
Magnet dusted me with his new sled, I didn't even have my helmet on yet, gravel in my eyes sucked, he took off, left me behind, then let the piece of crap extra sled he had, leak fuel all over my legs for a few hours, as they were stinging, he said 'oh suck it up'. :0
No wonder I quit it for a couple years, he still can't figure out why....

Anyone with a dreamier one than that ? Lol

But now it's lots of fun, we have fun riding together, and after going through many sleds, I think I finally found 'the one' (sled, not new hubby, lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny i have no recollection of that first ride:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: lol
this is the way it really happened, it was a beutiful sunny day, temp right between 0 and -5, we left from the staging are just north and west of whitecourt, we left the parking lot and were immediatly greeted by a freshly groomed trailed with just a little dust of powder on it. we rode the trails all day wih bothe machines running flawlessly without any issues whatsoever. we ended the day with a beutiful bonfire roasting hot dogs and marshmellows and then later loaded the sleds and headed home,

best time so far was last year this time riding in 3ft of fresh in our back yard yes temp was -30 but fresh pow blasting over the hood all day was awesome, and really learned to appreciate the 159 track on her plaris she was riding then. btw she is on her second sled since then. was a great day of riding for the two of us.

last one also goes for most memorable i think.

most trying would probably be 2 yrs ago in swan hills when she was rocking a 121X1.5 on a 96 xlt special the factory piped unit with the reed case engine. was stuck all day because of the track and a c clip that had fallen off one of the needles. of course i was unaware that it was running like a bag of chit until i tried to get it unstuck once drove back to the truck and loaded the pos it was lucky it didn't get left at the y intersection of the goose tower road. later after she:rolleyes: calmed down a bit back at home i decided to check the carbs and found the problem. later strectched it to a 136 2" and dropped the jets a couple sizes and got it running real nice and she decided she wanted something different lol

now finally we got all of her off breed japanese crap sleds, polaris and cats, out of her mindset and got her on a doo. should be a great season if we ever get some snow.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember your first time?

Only been doing this a couple of years, but the bug bit us at my dads old lease on 127st where he borded horses. lots of pic nics in the summer then my brother in law decided to by an old ski doo, a Formula 500 i think. Well an afternoon of pulling the kids around on sleds got her interested so on she hopped, a quick instruction "press here to go and hold on...", 10 seconds later she was face down in the snow and hooked!! So was I!!

Best time?

Finding the perfect first sled at Cycle works. We decided we would try a used unit first. Kijiji had tons but I didn't want something beaten half way to H**L and back. So we decided to wait unless we stumbled onto something we couldn't turn down. One afternoon looking at new sleds at CW the salesman says "I might have one in the back. The deals not done yet on the trade but I can show it to you...". A couple days later we drove away with our first sled and haven't looked back since!

Most trying time?

When I accidentially rear-ended her new machine. Nuf said.

Time that sticks out the most?

Whitecourt Poker rally last year, -35! Two familys with 2 kids each. We looked at each other and asked "Are we nuts!!??". Turned out to be an amazing ride and not a peep from the kids about the cold! Guess they had to many layers on to speak!!

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FIRST TIME
It was at Hasler (West of Chetwynd) I had sledded in the mountains before on older sleds, but this time I just bought my first brand new mountain sled (01 ZX 800 151"). The week previous I crushed my left index finger in a workplace accident (another long story) it split my finger length wise about an inch and a half, they stitched it up and took X-rays, doc said it wasn't broken say I figured it shouldn't slow me down from sledding. So off we go sledding with friends, only one sled so we are doubling and my finger is so sore I can't bend it around the handle bar or use it to apply the brakes. We get back to Aluminum bowl and tried to climb out on our way to the bears den. (Anyone who has been there before knows how icy it can get on a low snow year) We start climbing outta there and my wife can't see where we are going so she keeps leaning over around me to see where we are going, so now I'm jumping around all over the sled trying to keep us from disaster. After crashing twice buddy takes my wife up on his sled. I get up there and my bride is sitting in the snow kinda freaking out about the crisis that was narrowly averted and how we just climbed so high up this huge mountain. The rest of the day she was a little scared. Years later we go back there and she go sailing up the mountain by herself, on her own sled and now wonders why she was so freaked out.... Doc called the following Monday and said due to the swelling on the X-rays he couldn't tell but the folks in Edmonton verified that my finger was broken, so take it easy with the finger..... (Must be why doctors call it a PRACTICE)

BEST TIME
She says it was at Powder King. The clouds were low hanging and we dropped into a placed called Merv's Doghouse (or Marv's Doghouse or Marv's Bowl, something like that) on the way out you have to climb up the face of the hill then transition into the ridge, near the top of the climb while riding the ridge you don't want to go to far left or right. Anyways we are in the clouds, can't really even make out the hill, defiantly can't see the top and it time to leave (couple years prior we seen a kid break his femur bone trying to climb outta there) My bride wanted to go up on her own sled but wanted to follow a couple sleds behind a buddy of mine just because she couldn't see through the clouds to well. She made it to the top like a pro, upon coming to a stop I gave her a huge hug lifting her off the ground. That's her best time. I think there's been to many best times to count.

MOST TRYING TIME
At Kakwa back when we were allowed to go up on the Wishshaw glacier. To get up there is not an easy climb, it's a long pull and near the top you have to side hill left onto a cornice then onto a flat landing area. If you don't make the slid hill it's either into the rocks or 50 foot drop off the cornice. She had been up there in the past but for some reason couldn't really remember. Buddy and I go up and down a few times so that she had tracks to follow. I'm at the bottom, some guys are up top and from the bottom you can't see past the cornice to the top. Wife takes off on here way up the mountain and to me it LOOKS like she makes it... then I go to start my sled and I notice stuff rolling over the cornice and down the mountain... I get closer and it's a speedometer, then some plastic pieces, then part of the windshield... I go racing up the mountain to find her up there with some guys, the sled on it's side smashed to beat He!!. She must have got scared and forgot to keep following or tracks and kept climbing until she plowed into a huge rock. She wasn't hurt but I was mad, she pulled off the hardest part of the climb but to this day I'll never figure out what made her even want to go where she went. The sled was totaled, it wouldn't even steer one direction all the way, I had to ride it out 50 KM back to the truck. (at about 10km/h) Almost two thousand dollars in parts to repair I did the labor.(Flying Nun, all A-arms, Speedo, tach, Front aluminum support, Bumper, Hood, Windshield, the list goes on) I made her pay for the parts I was so mad.

MOST HUMOROUS
Last year at the Ladies ride in Revy she drove into the back of one of the ladies in her group busting her headlight and hood into a bunch of pieces. Apparently it didn't damage the other sled which I find hard to believe (I'm sure I own those fine folks some money, they say no) That was in the spring and my bride didn't really make it out too many times since then so I didn't fix the headlight. Then this past October we were at the sled show in Edmonton and we run into the lady my bride drove into, she asks how's your headlight and my wife says what headlight???, man it was all I could do from bursting into laughter.... Headlight is now replaced and I made one hood out of that one and the other one from the crash mentioned above, LOOK OUT GIRLS!!! she is ready for another ladies ride.

Sorry for the long post, I can't tell the story any other way.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time was this year up at Swan Hills with our brand new sled(get to that later). Hadn't gone more than 100 feet and turtled it on the first turn with her riding on back. Not a good start, keeping in mind that she was adamant about not sledding at all. Rolled the sled a couple more times and I thought for sure that she was done. at the end of the day my buddy traded his sled and his wifes sled for ours just to see how it rode and my wife rode the Phazer. She did ok despite the icy conditions but I still thought we were done.

Last time which was her second time we went out to medicine and I rode my switch back while she drove the Venture(with power steering) by herself. I got some advice from the S and M crew about setting it up better. Turns out the front springs were too loose and the rear shock was too tight. She had a great day fell off twice but the sled stayed upright. She very much enjoyed it but discovered that we use a whole different set of muscles while riding. She is looking for the next ride. We have a convert!

The funny part is how we GOT the new sled. We went to Riverside Yamaha to get me a new helmet as some putz stole mine. Got the helmet- check. We were going quadding out at Alberta Beach for the Quad rally so she wanted a balaclava to keep her a little warmer- Got balaclava- check. She found a set of Blue snow pants that fit her (she is short) Got snow pants - check. Then of course she want a jacket to match, found a jacket to match - check. Then we sorta sauntered over to the sleds and looked at all the ones they had. Looked at the venture light, she didn'care for it as it was white. What she found was the 2012 RS venture GT because it was PRETTY, all Ruby red and all. Didn't care that it had Electric steering (does now I tell ya) or that it had 3 cylinders or a great suspension. Nope all she cared was that it was a 4 stroke a two up and RED. Got sled- Bigger check!
Sheesh all I wanted was a new helmet! It certainly came out of left field that she would care to sled, but then I should have realized that she has been quadding for the last year and half and had a ball. You just never know.

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is the old adage, "couple's that play together, fight like cats and dogs in the truck back to town", or something like that.

You're slipping man.... I expected you to jump in to this thread a few days ago... lol.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time was way back when we were still dating, we were out at her dads farm. He had a couple old sleds to play around on so we doubled up for a ride out on the lake. I pinned the throttle and she goes flying off the back, 5 minutes later when I get back to her I told her I didn't know what happened but the sled suddenly got much more powerful. I was surprised that she got back on as she did not think it was very funny. A few minutes later we get to close to the culvert and the back of the sled breaks through the ice, we both managed to bail and save the sled from sinking, but the ride is over!!!

About ten years pass, we are married now with a couple of kids, I bought a sweet 93 Cat EXP 136" from the neighbor, and I'm getting into sledding again. The next time she comes riding the EXT is hers and we go out to Lucille in Macbride, we aren't up there for 10 minutes an she disappears. We are all standing around the cabin and she is calling on the two way radio but is no where to be seen. She is staring to sound desperate but we still can't find her. Turns out she is only a couple hundred yards away but buried in a tree well. Good thing she is wearing her bright lime green Cat jacket so we can see her when she swims to the top of the snow. She's not to sure about hill climbing but loves racing around in the deep snow in the meadows and is having a great time. The next morning she wakes up and can hardly walk so she spends the day hobbling around town with a couple of the other girls in the group.

A few more years pass and I find a great deal on an 07 RMK 600 144" on E Bay, somehow she believes me (or just figures it's not worth fighting about) when I tell her I'm buying her a new sled. She has only been on it a couple of times, she seems to like it but is not a fan of being out in the cold. Oh well it's nice to have a back up sled and it works great for ditch banging when we have enough snow to ride around here.

backseatrider

Reaction score
First Time:
Glen and I had just started dating and we went to Salmon Arm for xmas with a bunch of people from his club. I was driving the "trail princess" in the mountains. I drove it like a motorcycle but I had to stay on the trail when everyone else got to play. Second day of trip, Hunter's Range, I won the tshirt the parking lot girls were giving away. Got to the top and everyone else is playing in the powder but the "trail princess" has to wait on the trail and watch. I timed it well, saw my chance and away I went, big circle, snow over the hood, and back on the trail! Glen and Alberta are sitting there with their mouths open, I just grinned!

Worst Time: Same trip and Norm arrives and has brought something called a "mountain max" for me to try. Going up to Owls Head, the trail is rough, the throttle is flimsy, and the seat is so slippery I can't stay on. I got to ride Glen's sled in the end and the next year I own my own!

Best Time: Going to Mountain Mania in Revy and we stopped in Golden to ride with the men. My first trip to the mountains on my new sled, got stuck but then I kept up and heading to MM5 next weekend.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was the best trip to date, but I only realised it after the next trip I made without her.
So we were with a group of 7 with one other couple. They had gotten a little ahead of us due to her getting stuck. When I got her sled out and turned around on the trail, she took off and I had a bit of a time trying to catch her. She was following anothe group of riders that she mistakenly thought were our buddies. We were at the bottom of Super Bowl in Allen creek and I had to chase her all the way to the very top of the next two ridges before I got her to stop. We headed back down and eventually rejoined our group. Excellent day of riding but nothing that I thought too much about.
The next opportunity I got to ride, 2 weekends later. A guy from work had picked up a new 154 etec and wanted me to take him for a day ride to Valemount. He had never been in the mountains before but had grown up on sleds and even rides very aggressive motorcross. We rode the same area in Allen Creek. He was doing pretty good too, untill I suggested we go back past Super Bowl. He looked up at the long steep climb that my wife had ripped up the previous trip and said, " maybe we should stick to the easier stuff, its my first time". I didn't tell him my wife had climbed that very hill. But I can say that I sure was proud of her and told her so as soon as I got home.

I also told him about it too, but only after we returned to work.lol

heres a couple pics. My little monkey Caleb rides with us too. I cant wait untill he's big enough to pull on the old mans skies!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 129
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 127

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good post! Mom, needs to be kept on track, sorry!

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was feeling a little bad actually, some of these guys spent more time writing down their experiences, than some of my relationships have lasted.Women! can't live with em, can't hunt em like coyotes!

Bwaa haa haa.. Hunt em like coyotes!! I think you don't understand the whole foreplay thing.. maybe that's why your relationships don't last?.. Just sayin.....

:p

YFZ 450

Reaction score
General..... was this over the new year. If so I might have been there ...... lol

Top Bottom