Cops in golden

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by my RC friend that even a half ton with extra springs or air bags is a no go. It all has to do with brakes and breaking distance tied in with payload weight. The brakes are the problem.

Dont see that holding up one bit. If you are under your gvw, the vehicle was design to stop a truck with a certain gvw(full payload). The same can be said for pulling, most half tons are rated to pull +8000lbs trailers.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want to know how to avoid golden on your way to revy from alberta just ask, its not hard and most will know how already. currently there isnt a way to avoid the scale west of town. driving around golden after dark with a sled is going to bring attention to yourself, its the game. sorry. we go to town early in the morn to avoid issues. the botom of the hill on the way into town is where they most often hangout waiting for you in the truck parking bay, if you have a keen eye and spot them turn left into town and you may not get pulled over.
the opposite side of the road(east bound) is where they set up speed traps and are very hard to see, so dont charge at the hill.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem in Golden,. 15 years plus sledding around there. I know they are f's but you shouldn't worry as long as your following the rules. Lots of AB's with jacked up trucks-no mud flaps-extra wide tires-tint. F150 eco boots with decks and 2 sleds- trailers on half tons etc..... Follow the rules and you should have limited problems. IF not be prepared....

If you question anything I just said get to know the department of transporation laws and motor vehicle safety acts....nothing new. Same **** just a whole ton of new sled owners with no clue of transportation laws....

Last edited:

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found golden and revy the best of all the places I ride for cops without the (I was bullied in school so now I'm the bully)I have been pulled over for no reason besides my lifted truck stands out and got a fine cause of my trailer plug adaptor (7to4)has a little blue led in it to show it's working even after I showed him that on the plug it says dot approved on the adaptor but still way better then most places in bc where cops in force there opinion and not the law

i dont understand, you got a ticket for have a blue indicator light?.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if you take the illegal tint off you windows, put the appropriate size flaps on, put the right size offset rims on so they don't look retarded and don't give the cops a reason to pull you over?

Sent from my iPad using

and if they do shut the f@#$ up...or the fines add up!!.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
either way there are some cops in golden that seem to think they are doing gods work. I wont name names but you'll know if you get him as he has a very bad attidude and doesn't like sledders. we think he is incapable of being nice. but don't worry he hates locals just as much and seems to derive pleasure from ruining as many peoples day as possible.
and yes they built a new cop shop to be training ground for new recruits so look out as many dont know the laws they are just bluffing.
I would have thought there was far better places to train than a ski town of 5000 people

then its the towns fault for cheaping out on quality police officers??... i have no idea just a thought. ive worked for a few companies who hire 90% apprentices and things go wrong all the time. and it may make sense from the town budget side, im not a local to golden but i dont see it as a high crime area like a larger city. like any skilled trademen they move on after they gain their experience....just my 2 cents.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots have already. Years back the president of the Calgary Snowmobile Club actually distributed maps to club members on how to divert around Golden via back roads to miss the weigh station at the bottom of the hill where the RC's usually ran there stops so peeps could ride in Revy instead. I know it was a huge concern for the Chamber of Commerce in Golden at the time. They were trying to charge sledders for not running hazardous goods placards on there enclosed trailers because of jerry cans of fuel in the trailers. Can you believe that?

where could a guy get thet map today ...i wonder.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont understand, you got a ticket for have a blue indicator light?.[/QUOTE
Ya can't have any blue or red lights on ur truck but that was a stretch even better my truck went on to high idle cause I was there for 45min and this cop came running up yelling that I was trying to gas him and saying he was going to right me a stunting fine I couldn't help but laugh really hard in his face he didn't like that much actually everybody in the truck started to laugh really hard every profession has a few

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont understand, you got a ticket for have a blue indicator light?.[/QUOTE
Ya can't have any blue or red lights on ur truck but that was a stretch even better my truck went on to high idle cause I was there for 45min and this cop came running up yelling that I was trying to gas him and saying he was going to right me a stunting fine I couldn't help but laugh really hard in his face he didn't like that much actually everybody in the truck started to laugh really hard every profession has a few

gotcha...but wow!

Nordeggab

Reaction score
I'm from Alberta. I do lots of sledding and boating in BC. I have learned to get everything I need before I leave Alberta and I never stop in Golden Revy or Valemount. The toyhauler helps a lot. I can usally drive strait thru in the afternoon without harassment.

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not the first time i've heard this about golden, but is revy as bad? brother in law just moved there so was planning on a visit this winter.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can't make you require a dangerous good permit to cary gas unless it is over a certain amount. Just not sure what the amount is at the moment. I can ask my brother...he's up on all this as he is a manager with a large freight company. So they say you need everything strapped down inside a trailer??? Open any big rig trailer and see how many pallets are strapped down, that would be none of them... doesn't make sense.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if you only put one sled on it!?

F150's are somewhere around 1800lb payload while the dodge 1500 is 1400 lbs (confirm these numbers). Sled deck= 350lbs?, sled= 600lbs, driver= 200lbs, Gear/gas= 200lbs... That's basically at the limit of the dodge.

Payloads are rated without spare tire, passenger, etc etc. Typically only driver and probably minimum fuel. Load the truck with gear, driver, ramp, deck, fuel etc...everything you would take sledding, minus the sled and then drive to the scale. You will need to have at least 600 lbs of payload remaining to legally carry most sleds probably. I've done it and I know what my truck can carry, I guarantee most will be surprised at the numbers on the scale gauge.

Its all based on the truck, drivetrain, box length, cab size, 4x4, etc. There is no "generic" payload, everyone needs to look at their sticker. People should think of it as a bare frame wtih 4 wheels, capable of holding 6000 lbs. The more crap you pile on (bigger cab, heavier box, 4x4 transfer case, front axle, etc), the less "free" weight (i.e. payload) they can put in the box. A 2 wheel drive, single cab has a payload close to or over 2000 lbs I think.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Payloads are rated without spare tire, passenger, etc etc. Typically only driver and probably minimum fuel. Load the truck with gear, driver, ramp, deck, fuel etc...everything you would take sledding, minus the sled and then drive to the scale. You will need to have at least 600 lbs of payload remaining to legally carry most sleds probably. I've done it and I know what my truck can carry, I guarantee most will be surprised at the numbers on the scale gauge.

Its all based on the truck, drivetrain, box length, cab size, 4x4, etc. There is no "generic" payload, everyone needs to look at their sticker. People should think of it as a bare frame wtih 4 wheels, capable of holding 6000 lbs. The more crap you pile on (bigger cab, heavier box, 4x4 transfer case, front axle, etc), the less "free" weight (i.e. payload) they can put in the box. A 2 wheel drive, single cab has a payload close to or over 2000 lbs I think.

Yeah forgot about the driver, they're included along with all fluids full (full gas tank) required to drive off (GVWR). What I'm getting at is you can do some simple math before heading out or buying a truck. You are correct all trucks are different... let me do the math again, except more accurate numbers.... Sled deck = 400lbs, 2 stoke sled = 600lbs, four 5 gallon jerry cans = 120 lbs, gear/clothes = 80lbs, tools = 50lbs, and many hundreds of pounds of snow/mud on you're truck, very close (over on some models) to payload limits on a quad/crew cab dodge. It's good to be aware of this cause next thing you know you have a few passengers or a heavy yammy on the deck!

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
wondering how many will skip golden and decide to go elsewhere
After reading this i will be skipping golden from now on, i have wanted to go to a few places i have never been but is it worth the hassle of getting harassed...

My truck is stock height, little bigger tires, huge mud flaps, no tint. But i have had my fair share of d-bag cops.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen a ford f150 with 6.5 box and a 8 foot deck in red deer, if they put 2 sleds on the deck it will be on the axle, but if he stays in alberta he will be ok till they kill someone

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both these routes would add lot of time

Than just don't be drunk retartd In yer lifted F350 & you wont have anything to worry about:rolleyes: But by all means everyone go some where else. More snow for me. I heard Golden is the only place in BC that has Police.....

Top Bottom