Cops in golden

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll chime in here, for the sole purpose of having some sort of constructive, helpful discussion. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. This is my own opinion.

I have cops in my family, and yes!!! They have the right to search your vehicle and trailer.

Well, police don't really have the blanket 'right' to search your vehicle. This isn't north korea. It has to be based on reasonable and probable grounds, or incidental to an arrest, provided its related to what you were arrested for. Ie. If you get arrested for say, Driving while Disqualified, etc...police can't search your car for drugs, guns, etc. Get arrested for impaired driving, police can search your vehicle for liquor, or drugs, whatever the case may be. Every scenario is so different. IF you have open liquor, a gun in plain sight, there are usually search powers in whatever act it related to (Liquor Act, Firearms Act, Criminal Code, Wildlife Act), etc. It's pretty straightforward.

It's been a couple years since I was in BC, but the MVA or its regs (I can't recall which), does allow for inspection of trailers for the purpose of inspecting load securement, without consent of the driver. Tractor trailers, enclosed trailers, etc, all are designed for carry loads, which must be kept secure, so you don't have projectiles, or loads that are unsafe, etc. You get the idea.

Typical cop answer, not true.

They must have reasonable and probable grounds to believe that you have committed some type of offence in order to legally search your vehicle. Refusing a search does not constitute probable cause. But that usually doesn't deter them because then they just lie and say they smelled alcohol (or some other lame excuse to the judge if gets to court) and search anyway.

You need to challenge the cop and ask what offence he suspects you have allegedly committed, that usually puts an end to his fishing trip.

Your right, saying no to say a consent search is not grounds for anything. I guess it could be construed as suspicious, but its your right. Probable cause is an american term but I get your drift. I would hope that no peace officer, etc, would lie for the sake of searching something, but that being said, there are bad cops out there, just like there are pretty good ones. I have no doubt it has happened.

I didn't use the line. I bought it like this. The point I'm trying to make is the cop was a a-hole Im saying it how it was he was under the truck making me turn my wheels and the last thing he said to me and my wife. Was bc stands for bring cash... Real cool. Then we stopped at the prestige to grab a bottle and the ladies in the liquor store said thas why people go to Revy because they seen it all go down

See this is the problem with peoples experiences of law enforcement. All it takes is one knob, to ruin the reps of everyone else. The majority of people don't have many interactions with the police, etc, and are usually basing their entire opinion off one encounter, and its usually a traffic stop, etc. See to me, getting under your truck, and doing all that, is a little much. And to say something like what you mentioned, its pretty unprofessional, and frankly pisses me off.

I am a normal guy, that does normal guy stuff. Sledding has become a passion of mine, I hunt, fish, ATV whatever. It just so happens that I am in law enforcement too, but that is all people see. When I am at work, doing my job, I try to come across as a normal dude and not some Johnny Law that is power tripping. Its still my job, but you can do it without being a dick more often than not.

I have been on the other end (while having been in this occupation), and gone through roadchecks and had an interaction with a police officer who was a complete jerk off who had didn't know what I did for a living, nor did I mention it. I've had the flashlight in my face, berating my wife and I, and asking me accusatory questions, and non sense logic. I hear you guys. I was in my mid 20's driving a half decent truck, wearing street clothes. I try to think of the guy sitting in the drivers seat and how he/she is going to feel coming away from the interaction. That cop really bothered me, but it taught me something for sure. That being said, if your jerk, chances are, you probably won't come away happy.

I dunno. To me, I don't enjoy nickel and diming guys that work for a living, have bills to pay, kids and better things to spend their money on. Don't get me wrong, there are some things 5-0 can't look the other way on, and ought to be enforcing, but there is no solid reason for things like what go in Golden. Especially if its driving the town. I like tasking to task, the real bad people who are ruining our towns, cities, whatever, not the people who work and are good people.

Maybe I'm way off here. Take this for what you will. Just thought I would give a view from the other side of the fence. Cheers.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with a police officer buddy of mine on this situation. First the lift thing is them checking to see if the modifications are safe and yes in BC if you have done it yourself you need to have proof of inspection, usually a sticker on the window and a paper you keep in the glove box with the insurance. Second they can not search you vehicle without probable cause however if the cops asks and you say no one can only assume that creates suspicion. You can still refuse but if they really want to throw a screw in your day they will impound it and get a search warrant. If your running legit why say no, just show him the goods and be on your way. When you start pulling attitude, not saying you did, they can surely flex some muscle and mess your whole trip. Better to stay with in the law on its all good. I use to run a lifted truck with 35's and tint and all that, was a real heat score for sure, got pulled over lots, forced inspections and even made me pull my tint on the road side, to avoid the hassle I just keep things stock and ever since ive been problem free.

Yaco

Reaction score
I've only skimmed over a few pages of this thread so excuse me if I missed someone already mentioning the laws regarding some of these issues. Haven't seen anyone post the correct information for trucks with lift kits in BC so here it is.

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

[h=4]Application[/h] 25.20 This Part applies to a vehicle that was
(a) disposed of as salvage and subsequently rebuilt,

(b) altered by changes to its suspension height by more than 10 cm from the original basic specification of the vehicle manufacturer,

(c) altered so that its
(i) freight carrying capacity has been increased beyond the original gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle, or by design changes other than those established by the manufacturer of the vehicle, or
(ii) seating capacity has been increased, or
(d) built after January 1, 1971 from new or used parts, other than a trailer with a licensed gross vehicle weight of 1 400 kg or less, and that does not display the statement of compliance under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada).
[en. B.C. Reg. 304/2001.]
[h=4]Limitation on operation[/h] 25.21 A person must not drive, operate or park a vehicle on a highway until it has been presented to a designated inspection facility and an approved certificate of mechanical condition in a form set by the director has been issued in respect of the vehicle by an authorized person.

[en. B.C. Reg. 304/2001; am. B.C. Reg. 135/2003, s. 3.]

[h=4]Duties of authorized persons[/h] 25.22 (1) An authorized person must not issue a certificate under section 25.21 unless he or she is satisfied, and certifies on the certificate, that the vehicle complies with the Act and its regulations and is safe for use on the highway.
(2) The provisions of sections 25.02 to 25.06, 25.09, 25.12 and 25.13 apply to persons issuing inspection certificates, operators of a designated inspection facility and authorized persons.

10cm = 3.93701 inches. So basically a 4 inch lift or more and you are required to have the vehicle inspected at a designated facility and passed before legal operation is allowed within the Province of BC.

Hope this helps some people who are wondering. If you need/want to research any Provincial laws go to bclaws.ca

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
either way there are some cops in golden that seem to think they are doing gods work. I wont name names but you'll know if you get him as he has a very bad attidude and doesn't like sledders. we think he is incapable of being nice. but don't worry he hates locals just as much and seems to derive pleasure from ruining as many peoples day as possible.
and yes they built a new cop shop to be training ground for new recruits so look out as many dont know the laws they are just bluffing.
I would have thought there was far better places to train than a ski town of 5000 people

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wondering how many will skip golden and decide to go elsewhere
Lots have already. Years back the president of the Calgary Snowmobile Club actually distributed maps to club members on how to divert around Golden via back roads to miss the weigh station at the bottom of the hill where the RC's usually ran there stops so peeps could ride in Revy instead. I know it was a huge concern for the Chamber of Commerce in Golden at the time. They were trying to charge sledders for not running hazardous goods placards on there enclosed trailers because of jerry cans of fuel in the trailers. Can you believe that?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots have already. Years back the president of the Calgary Snowmobile Club actually distributed maps to club members on how to divert around Golden via back roads to miss the weigh station at the bottom of the hill where the RC's usually ran there stops so peeps could ride in Revy instead. I know it was a huge concern for the Chamber of Commerce in Golden at the time. They were trying to charge sledders for not running hazardous goods placards on there enclosed trailers because of jerry cans of fuel in the trailers. Can you believe that?

That's hilarious about the maps. Can't really blame them. Charging for no DH placards is pretty bush league!

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
scarey stuff...know l;ll be avoiding it...to many other places to go without the fear of being hassled unnesasarly..cuse spellin

CuttindeepXM

Reaction score
All, please help me out

i have a ford f150 with air bags and have been hauling my sled for a few years, flag the back to avoid pullovers. Bought a deck this year and hope to put two sled on my ford half ton, will this fly? Seen it done before and am unsure as ab says I am under my gvw with two sleds and deck....

What will BC say?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All, please help me out

i have a ford f150 with air bags and have been hauling my sled for a few years, flag the back to avoid pullovers. Bought a deck this year and hope to put two sled on my ford half ton, will this fly? Seen it done before and am unsure as ab says I am under my gvw with two sleds and deck....

What will BC say?
unless you are foolish enough to cross a BC weigh scale while they are open, BC will say nothing. here on snowandmud.com.....different story.

Highmark10

Reaction score
All after market bumpers, lift kits, light bars, tinting etc is illegal no matter where if the cop wants to he can ticket you none of them are Department of Transit approved

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for chumps reply I have mud flaps and I'm sorry I never new 35's upset u so much. And your right every lifted truck across this country must me compensating lol

Offset on your tires can be as dangerous as the absence of mud flaps. I had a rock come right through the windshield of a rental car from a truck with mud tires sticking out (no fender flares). Was scary as chit!

anyhoo, that documentation business seems rotten to me too.

Top Bottom