compression question...

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just have a couple of questions about my compression... I was playing in the mud with my quad and got it totally covered with mud... so much so that it couldn't cool anymore... even with the fan running. So to make a long story short it overheated and boiled over. I added water, but it would only run for a short while before over heating and boiling over again. This happened 3 times so after adding water for the 3rd time I just towed it home. I'm concerned about the motor so I did a compression test on it and it ran on 1 cylinder, with the other showing 120 psi. The quad is a 2006 700 sportsman EFI, I looked in my shop manual and it says that I should have about 150-170, but I couldn't pull the spark plug wire off of the left cylinder as it's to hard to get at, and I could only hand tighten the compression tester on the right side. With this scenario should I be worried about the motor????

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first thing i would do is remove the rad and thouroghly clean it you WILL NOT get it clean in the machine may look clean but backside will still be plugged dont scratch your head on this just do it you will see once it is out. seeing as you are concerned about the motor you can back off rocker arms so that all valves are shut then rig something up to tie in air compressor to spark plug holes (blow gun with rubber tip) blow into each cylinder after ensuring all valves are closed watch your coolant to see if there is air entering the system if there is prolly a head gasket if not just clean the rad good, reinstall and ensure the cooling system has all the air bled out of it. If you ride alot of mud you may strongly consider relocating your rad

Goodluck

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need to somehow make it so the other cylinder won't run (unplug the coil). You should hold the throttle wide open while turning it over. THe warmer the better as well.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it make a lot of difference if the spark plug is still in the other side? I just put new plugs into it and it was a huge pain in the a-- to get to the other plug... unless there is a trick that I'm missing... and I certainly couldn't do it if it was hot!! I did give the rad a thorough cleaning and took it out for a ride yesterday, the cooling system seems to be working great now, just still not sure about the motor, it seems to be ok but the compression test did come back low. How do you plug the other plug hole? I'm not sure what the rocker arms are and not sure where these are :( I've never had this motor apart so it's a bit greek to me... sorry... I have been looking at the shop manual to try to learn. Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom