Collison questions.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my 5 week old truck for rear ended and the woman who hit me is being very uncooperative. I have one quote to repair the bumper at $700 and she feels that's a rip off and claims "by law she's legally allowed to make me get 3 quotes". Now I don't have time to be driving around, losing wages and burning fuel. Is she right? Because I am also not bound to use the cheapest quote either so it's a total waste of time.

I was being generous by not going through insurance but now I think I'm going to.

Sent from my iPhone

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insuranceand police report...mayby they give her undue attention and care ticket...may be hidden damage..no time for folks like that

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's "law" but insurance co will ask for three quotes, even pointing you towards their approved service providers. They want you to get it done cheap. However, you do have the choice as to where to get it fixed.

Tell her you're trying to be fair and nice, and if she's going to be difficult it only takes a minute to call the police and insurance co. That's your right, and is law.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh I know what you are going through. Guy hit my parked 2010 Superduty after he was forced into it by another driver. Whacked my mirror and busted it. Said he wanted to go the cash route as he has a $2500 deductible. I told him ok I would get a quote for the mirror which was $1300 and change. He tells me he would like me to get a used mirror on Kijiji and I say no. He tells me he can get a Napa mirror made in China for $417 and I say no. He says I will pay you in installments over a month as he doesnt have that kinda cash. I tell him Maybe. Long story he says a cheque is in the mail to the body shop but calls me when I'm there getting the new mirror on and says he found 2 new mirrors for $100. If the cheque is not cleared at buddies shop by Monday I will be just go the insurance route as I have left the file open. Hopefully he comes through.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh I know what you are going through. Guy hit my parked 2010 Superduty after he was forced into it by another driver. Whacked my mirror and busted it. Said he wanted to go the cash route as he has a $2500 deductible. I told him ok I would get a quote for the mirror which was $1300 and change. He tells me he would like me to get a used mirror on Kijiji and I say no. He tells me he can get a Napa mirror made in China for $417 and I say no. He says I will pay you in installments over a month as he doesnt have that kinda cash. I tell him Maybe. Long story he says a cheque is in the mail to the body shop but calls me when I'm there getting the new mirror on and says he found 2 new mirrors for $100. If the cheque is not cleared at buddies shop by Monday I will be just go the insurance route as I have left the file open. Hopefully he comes through.

Yes that's the other thing I'm worried about. Her husband is a lot better to deal with do I won't be talking to her anymore. But what happens if I bring the truck in, repair is made and they don't release my truck until it's paid and I'm out of a vehicle?

It was reported to the cops the next morning and is on file, but since no insurance adjuster was involved, how would insurance come in after the fact? I have pictures on my phone. Is that good enough?

It's minor but at the end of the day the marks weren't there when I purchased it and it will eventually start to rust if it doesn't get repaired. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417820091.715801.jpg

Sent from my iPhone ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417820162.430408.jpg

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
insurance companies will send their own adjuster to appraise damage. You are legally allowed to take your vehicle wherever you want... I am sure they would love 3 estimates and would surely opt to pay you only for the lowest.. but beware as some shops will use aftermarket parts... that's where sometimes you may want to use a dealership bodyshop... and honestly $700 does not sound unreasonable if its a good shop and they are doing it properly

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your not at fault so easy enough to give your insurance co teh heads up. Tell them your trying to deal with it personally, but that your not sure where it's going to lead to. At least your insurance co will make a report and be ready for you if the need arises.

In a similar situation I todl the autobody shop the money was coming from the other party. Body shop made the person give the shop their credit card information, or pay up front. Most shops should know how to handle these situations. Not the first time I'm sure.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call your insurance company, that is what you pay them for. You tried to be nice, she's being difficult, let them deal with the headache..... She can still pay them without going through her insurance I think.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just report it to your ins. broker and they will contact your insuance company, then they will contact her insurance company, stay out of it and let your ins adjuster handle the process. The shop is your choice not the insurance company and not there preferred shops.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get some scratch remover or a power polish, that **** will buff right out.... is it dented?

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, she is being difficult and wants to ride it out until you forget it. How is your neck? You were slammed pretty hard, right? You could remind her that you are developing aches and pains or she could just pay up. If you make a claim on insurance, your fault or not, your rates will go up. Push hard for the CASH settlement, if you take a cheque, make sure a receipt is given to both parties. Covers your ass if have to go to small claims court for a bounced cheque

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The body shop has his credit card now and will direct bill him. He was a lot better to deal with and when I mentioned I'm going through insurance now he told me not to talk to his wife anymore. I'll talk to the body shop again on Monday for a few questions I have.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Always good help on here.

Sent from my iPhone

Pantherscry

Reaction score
So, she is being difficult and wants to ride it out until you forget it. How is your neck? You were slammed pretty hard, right? You could remind her that you are developing aches and pains or she could just pay up. If you make a claim on insurance, your fault or not, your rates will go up. Push hard for the CASH settlement, if you take a cheque, make sure a receipt is given to both parties. Covers your ass if have to go to small claims court for a bounced cheque

If your insurance rates go up for a accedent when you are not at fault you need to find a new company. I have been hit a few times and have always given the option to pay me in cash. Most people are honest and pay up but as soon as they start messing around I would get insurance involved. With that said you also always file a police report. Without that your vulnerable to being screwed.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's your deductible? And it only the bumper that's scratched? I'd just get her to buy a new bumper and when that one rusts or you back into something you have the new one on hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom