Cold seize

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats great that it will be fixed under warranty, I am still very impressed with T & T. Still got a bad taste in my mouth about the sled tho. Needing a new engine after 50 or so km's. I ran into this with a 2003 800 xcsp. Just about every time I rode it I did the engine. Made me a pretty good mechanic tho. Ha Ha. Its funny. you don't see people babying a chainsaw and they last for a long time and they are always at 100% work load.

Thank you for the kudos - even though your experience with the unit has been a bit fooked. I am happy Cat is fixing it under warranty as these 800s are damn near bulletproof! Since they have come out, I can only remember one that we've had to do a top end in - an 07 the guy ran it with 2.5 yr old fuel in it WFO across the lake.... We will make sure to keep you current on the situation =)
I hope this helps your Friday :beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the $25 thermostat to be the culprit?

Cold seizure can absolutely happen at full throttle and is often where the most damage is done. Usually two times of day when you see most cold seizures - in AM about 5 kms up the trail, everyone is going mach chicken with a cold motor, t-stat quickly slams open and very cold coolant from the rear coolers (that are now full of snow) rushes into motor and shrinks cylinders. Right after lunch same thing happens because motor is only slightly warm after sitting for 45-60 mins, someone guns it wide open from the lunch spot up the nearest hill trying to impress their buddies, cold coolant in the coolers rushes in and squeeeeeeek.

Motor at full throttle can move a lot of coolant. I would test t-stat because if it hung up shortly, then jumped from 1/2 to full open, this would result in a rush of coolant to the cylinders. I have seen this on my own sleds a couple of times on the temp gauge. No adjustments to the cooling system and rode all day, then all of a sudden the temp spikes and then dropped off.

Top Bottom