Coffee Pot

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How times have changed! Two years ago I got roasted big time for having "secret areas"....I didn't really give a rat's ass that I got roasted as the intimidation wasn't going to make me change my mind. It is sweet to know that not every Tom, Dick, and Harry know where the sweet spots are after a nice dump.

I tour a lot of peeps around and enjoy showing them the general area but I have secrets that we locals keep to ourselves so that after the second or third day of a dump we can find some powder.

I understand that this newbie is looking for a quiet, safe, spot and as I'm not familiar with Coffee Pot I have no advice. It appears that maybe he would be over his head in this area. Family friendly areas are, IMHO, not a problem to point out.

I didn't get the fact that Coffee Pot fit the family friendly profile.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How times have changed! Two years ago I got roasted big time for having "secret areas"....I didn't really give a rat's ass that I got roasted as the intimidation wasn't going to make me change my mind. It is sweet to know that not every Tom, Dick, and Harry know where the sweet spots are after a nice dump.

I tour a lot of peeps around and enjoy showing them the general area but I have secrets that we locals keep to ourselves so that after the second or third day of a dump we can find some powder.

FS see this is where i differ to some point. Myself its nice to expose some of these areas slightly. I know some of the areas i ride you could spend all day trying to brake a trail in, at least if some others knew as well you could ride that spot vs spend all your time breaking it in for nothing. Yea some pow will be taken but id rather have some rather than none.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it is coming to this. I thought that we were all one happy family and all got along and played well with each other. Now I see some that are not willing to share the sand box so to speak. Some valid points made though. Noobs should not start out in areas that are hidden away that few people know about. It would be irresponsible to give directions to these areas and not offer oneself up as a guide to show them the ropes. As stated earlier take them to an area that is safe.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I can't believe it is coming to this. I thought that we were all one happy family and all got along and played well with each other. Now I see some that are not willing to share the sand box so to speak. Some valid points made though. Noobs should not start out in areas that are hidden away that few people know about. It would be irresponsible to give directions to these areas and not offer oneself up as a guide to show them the ropes. As stated earlier take them to an area that is safe.

Oh, senor Pipes, we are one happy family but one has to protect the values so to speak! It really p*sses me off when I am in an area and another group follows the tracks and chews the hell out of the trail with trenches and no respect for the riders the next day. Trails aren't for playing on, they lead to the play areas but the weekend warriors have a hard time understanding this concept. If we trench the trail going in, we stop, get the shovels out and fix it so that it will set up and be good to go for the trip out or the next day. Not so with everybody and the respect for the trail seems to be getting less and less.

I have no problem showing peeps the area but if the values and attitudes are not compatible then why show the "secret spots"? They are big boys and can explore the area themselves.....JMHO.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Always been that way, locals always have secret spots. This is the benefit of living here, it's definately not the big wages or low taxes!

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Morn Good Reading . Will pass a thank you on to the person who grooms the trail in Brewer. Also a heads up to you all. Here in the valley a bunch of people are trying to set up controls as to who can go where. Most of them at the meeting have self interests, not the general puplics. Going to lay the laws down as to where you Bike ,Walk , or Snowmobile? Good write ups about it in Local paper. Take Care!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Morn Good Reading . Will pass a thank you on to the person who grooms the trail in Brewer. Also a heads up to you all. Here in the valley a bunch of people are trying to set up controls as to who can go where. Most of them at the meeting have self interests, not the general puplics. Going to lay the laws down as to where you Bike ,Walk , or Snowmobile? Good write ups about it in Local paper. Take Care!

Is this the article??

Seriouslly though how the hell would they monitor this and get the word out that i cannot snowmobile, hike, bike in certain areas. As well i would think the government body would not want to take place in this. Why would the government designate areas only for personall interest when they have a buisness to run and designate these areas to logging, mining, farming, or houses. I guess if it was indian land they could do whatever with it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The Southern Rocky Mountain Management Plan (south eastern BC) and the Southern Rocky Mountain Advisory Committee are similar in nature. There is wide representation from the area including industry, recreational users, and those who feel the area should be turned into a Park.

It was very active in the formational years and there seemed to be a balance except for the ever lingering Park concept perpetuated by WildSight. Talk about serving one's own agenda!

There is a gov't appointed chairman from the bureaucracy in Cranbrook. Lately, there has been a very noticeable drop off in meetings and discussions. The big problem, as I saw it, was that there was no effort on the part of Gov't to enforce any of the recommendations that were eventually turned into legislation.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of all this! I started riding out in mtns In 85 and beleive me the people in bc were begging us to come out! Alot of days on boulder not another sled, and no groomed trails back then. Now it has turned 360 degrees where even guys from Alberta don't want anyone else in. Pffffffffft is all I can say to you guys. The locals will always have spots to go we will never find. So what? If the guy wants to go pm him and tell him once he sees how rugged it is probably wont ever go back. And you can have your secret area! Big deal!

watson21

Reaction score
Hey Tuckerchef you might want to leave the Purcells to these other tools. Go ride Frisby at Revy. Good place to learn and usually alot of help around if you get in a jack-pot. Just expect it to be busy.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Tuckerchef you might want to leave the Purcells to these other tools. Go ride Frisby at Revy. Good place to learn and usually alot of help around if you get in a jack-pot. Just expect it to be busy.

nice, i can see you're gonna make lots of friends. 20 posts in and you're calling people tools....

watson21

Reaction score
Sorry Dude. My response was not ment to offend. Sometimes I type before I think. I just felt tucker-chef could have gotten a bit more help from us rather than this thread turning into a piss!@# contest about secret areas and skier bashing. I am fairly new to the mountains but have been out lots. I found Frisby to be the friendliest area for newb's. The Purcells can be a bit of a challenge. Once he gains experience he can rip and tear where he wants. Next response I will try to more sensitive to the feeling of others.
thx

tuckerchef

Reaction score
Wow, did that ever get out of hand. Back on topic............

I've found the area I've been looking for. We had a bit of confusion on here as to which area I was looking for. I found the coffee pot area with a map from Toby Creek Adventures and directions in an earlier mentioned guide book. I've had a good time so far in the Purcells. I've been to Quartz, Paradise and Forester a few times and will return many more. I can understand not telling or advertising (your stash) and that's fine. On the other side there's no need to tell or advertise that your not going to tell where (your stash) is. Just say nothing. There are lots of great spots available in club maintained areas to keep me busy exploring. Thanks for the posts.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Dude. My response was not ment to offend. Sometimes I type before I think. I just felt tucker-chef could have gotten a bit more help from us rather than this thread turning into a piss!@# contest about secret areas and skier bashing. I am fairly new to the mountains but have been out lots. I found Frisby to be the friendliest area for newb's. The Purcells can be a bit of a challenge. Once he gains experience he can rip and tear where he wants. Next response I will try to more sensitive to the feeling of others.
thx
We were helping, it was suggested he ride somewhere else until he gets some riding experience, and mountain knowledge. Then he can source out riding anywhere he likes. I find too many people these days find out how to get to a spot and have no business being there, they are a liability to themselves and others in the area.

No skier bashing here at all, I take my skiis everytime I sled. The area he asked about is listed in a ski touring book, if sledders continue to poach ski terrain(official or non official) they will never gain any respect with other backcountry users.

Just because some of us aren't going to offer up our stashes easily on a public forum does not mean we're tyring to be pricks.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, did that ever get out of hand. Back on topic............

I've found the area I've been looking for. We had a bit of confusion on here as to which area I was looking for. I found the coffee pot area with a map from Toby Creek Adventures and directions in an earlier mentioned guide book. I've had a good time so far in the Purcells. I've been to Quartz, Paradise and Forester a few times and will return many more. I can understand not telling or advertising (your stash) and that's fine. On the other side there's no need to tell or advertise that your not going to tell where (your stash) is. Just say nothing. There are lots of great spots available in club maintained areas to keep me busy exploring. Thanks for the posts.

Cool,
Glad you are getting out. Best advise I can give is respect the mountains and the other users, both can make or break your experience.
I agree about the club maintained areas, I have been riding Forester for 10 years and still finding new spots.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool,Glad you are getting out. Best advise I can give is respect the mountains and the other users, both can make or break your experience. I agree about the club maintained areas, I have been riding Forester for 10 years and still finding new spots.
Pano-dude while your posts may have not been a little harsh there was a few that were and I would say didn't need to be posted. Seems a few albertans figure they own the exclusive rights to these spots? Kinda gives us all a bad rap? But hey they know who they are and I'm sure they feel quite proud of their rant!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah hell forget I said anything. I'm not going to be accused of flaunting my spots on the internet or thinking I have some exclusive rights to them just because my "location" says I'm in one province but may just have grown up in BC and spend as much time riding there as the locals...

Good luck finding your own spots, do some research and don't ride in tenures, provincial/national parks, watersheds, animal closure areas, private areas, etc. and make sure you have the back country knowledge about survival and avy training to be able to survive and perform self-rescue. Been breaking my back breaking trails for many years but I guess I'm just a stupid dumb hick because my location says Calgary and I only ride on the weekends so us weekend warriors from the "City" are not allowed to have any areas to ourselves even though we are the ones that discovered them, I'm probably not allowed to have fun while riding either. Have fun following my tracks if you can.

Last edited:

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah hell forget I said anything. I'm not going to be accused of flaunting my spots on the internet or thinking I have some exclusive rights to them just because my "location" says I'm in one province but may just have grown up in BC and spend as much time riding there as the locals...Good luck finding your own spots, do some research and don't ride in tenures, provincial/national parks, watersheds, animal closure areas, private areas, etc. and make sure you have the back country knowledge about survival and avy training to be able to survive and perform self-rescue. Been breaking my back breaking trails for many years but I guess I'm just a stupid dumb hick because my location says Calgary and I only ride on the weekends so us weekend warriors from the "City" are not allowed to have any areas to ourselves even though we are the ones that discovered them, I'm probably not allowed to have fun while riding either. Have fun following my tracks if you can.
Modman you were not the only one that seemed a little harsh! Im from Alberta and like you have done alot of searching for areas also. With the traffic in bc now adays I can see your frustration I see it to. I guess it just seemed a bit harsh for someone asking for a little help. I think it could have been handled differently but whatever. I'm not the moderator and I guess I had no reason to get worked up. But if you would've (and others) explained like you did in last post your reasoning why he should not go maybe it would've been less of a squabble. I'll keep my beak to myself from here on in. Steve

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I understand that this newbie is looking for a quiet, safe, spot and as I'm not familiar with Coffee Pot I have no advice. It appears that maybe he would be over his head in this area. Family friendly areas are, IMHO, not a problem to point out.

I didn't get the fact that Coffee Pot fit the family friendly profile.

Hahaha..

I've been gone for 1.5 years (motorcycle expeditions) and I come back to this thread. I've read up to this post because I'm thinking the whole time "Wow, has the tune ever changed around here?!?" Then I seen your post. Knowing guys who have rode with you before and said good things.

I'm all for keeping some areas quiet. Sadly, with more sledders there are more poachers. More areas have to be found.

I'm in the dark because I don't get out often or have time to explore, but I enjoy sled/boarding more then anything so I'm trying to just get away from sledders and enjoy some turns. Usually only two or three of us in our group who keep it low key.

Maybe see you guys out on the slope. I'm back in Canada now!

Top Bottom