Coffee Pot

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha your joking. why do you think silver mines is called silver mines? lets not give directions over the internet.....too many people already found out where Silver Mines is in the last 10 years lets not give gps coordinates and google earth map directions to the non-club zones. Those are for you to discover on your own. Thats part of the fun.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha your joking. why do you think silver mines is called silver mines? lets not give directions over the internet.....too many people already found out where Silver Mines is in the last 10 years lets not give gps coordinates and google earth map directions to the non-club zones. Those are for you to discover on your own. Thats part of the fun.
Agree!

tuckerchef

Reaction score
I found the directions in a book on back country skiing and snowboarding in Raduim and area. Best $7 you can spend on amazon.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

100% agree. What's the point of breaking trail and discovering areas if people go and broadcast them all over the internet so that every Tom Dick and Harry can go there and follow the tracks the next weekend? Find your own spots to ride.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not very bud friendly are we. shheesh modman, fix that friggin basement and get that sled out. yer gettin cabin fever i think. hehe

tuckerchef

Reaction score
100% agree. What's the point of breaking trail and discovering areas if people go and broadcast them all over the internet so that every Tom Dick and Harry can go there and follow the tracks the next weekend? Find your own spots to ride.

It's my understanding that Coffee pots is recommended as "A great spot for newcomers to the sport to make some safe easy turns." I found this in "Radium Ski & Snowboarding Guide.

My girlfriend and I are new to the sport and looking for safe easy access areas until we're more comfortable. What's the point of a*holes hiding beginners areas, you should be better than that.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that Coffee pots is recommended as "A great spot for newcomers to the sport to make some safe easy turns." I found this in "Radium Ski & Snowboarding Guide.

are you guys talking about the same area?? where is the coffee pot located in your book tuckerchef???

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No problem - you can have that death trap all to yourself!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the Brewer Creek area

ahh yes brewer. If you see the local guy up there with his homebuilt groomer, pitch him a $20. That guy runs that trail every weekend for free and grroms it. Does a wicked job. And the area the others are talking about to where you mentioned are not the same. Brewer is a good ride for all levels. can get to the ski hill from here if you try. With snow being a little low, not sure if the waterfall going in would be fun, mayby a local an chim in.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My girlfriend and I are new to the sport and looking for safe easy access areas until we're more comfortable. What's the point of a*holes hiding beginners areas, you should be better than that.

First off-your reading a ski/snowboard guide book. Not a snowmobile trail rating book.
Im not an a##hole. Coffepot is not rated from the local snowmobile club because they do not maintain it or for that matter not that many people go up there. The point is if your a beginner
you should stick to club trails where there is enough riders to help you out if you encounter problems and the trails and riding areas are rated to help riders make better decisions.

As for the rest of the areas. Sleds can go anywhere in the mtns providing you know how to ride one,you can self rescue, your able to assess and interpret constantly changing avalanche conditions, you respect closures, and you can use a map/gps while being capable of navigating. So with that said nothing is really a secret but us more experienced riders have found that hearing about a spot and then going out to explore it is a lot more enjoyable then showing up to a parking lot with 50 other sledders that read directions to the area over the internet and do not have the skill set, equipment or knowledge to be out there. Great places to start are places like Quartz where you can get experience and have a stepping block to bigger expeditions into the mtns. Your just a grasshopper so don't get over cocky to quick or you might find yourself in trouble out there.

Good luck and happy shredding

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are a beginner and looking to gain some experience go and ride Paradise, lots of help there if you need it. Calling experienced peeps a-holes is not gonna get you much help.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off-your reading a ski/snowboard guide book. Not a snowmobile trail rating book.
Im not an a##hole. Coffepot is not rated from the local snowmobile club because they do not maintain it or for that matter not that many people go up there. The point is if your a beginner
you should stick to club trails where there is enough riders to help you out if you encounter problems and the trails and riding areas are rated to help riders make better decisions.

As for the rest of the areas. Sleds can go anywhere in the mtns providing you know how to ride one,you can self rescue, your able to assess and interpret constantly changing avalanche conditions, you respect closures, and you can use a map/gps while being capable of navigating. So with that said nothing is really a secret but us more experienced riders have found that hearing about a spot and then going out to explore it is a lot more enjoyable then showing up to a parking lot with 50 other sledders that read directions to the area over the internet and do not have the skill set, equipment or knowledge to be out there. Great places to start are places like Quartz where you can get experience and have a stepping block to bigger expeditions into the mtns. Your just a grasshopper so don't get over cocky to quick or you might find yourself in trouble out there.

Good luck and happy shredding

I won't even take my girlfriend who is a newer rider into Quartz. Way too many yahoo's and aholes running around there. Sure its a nice short ride in, its great if you want to climb, but just because it has easy access I wouldn't consider it beginne terrain.

I believe the book he has also lists snowmobile trails. I've seen that book before.

I've never been into Blaeberry, but from Olers posts I would be more inclined to take a newer rider into there.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not very bud friendly are we. shheesh modman, fix that friggin basement and get that sled out. yer gettin cabin fever i think. hehe
No disrespect to the newbie or yourself bud, but I ride to get away from the crowds and have some clean snow to rip in, if I wanted to be with 1000 other humans, I'd go to the mall on the weekend. I don't want to be an internet sensation or anything, I just want to ride with a couple buds and away from the masses. We discover new areas, we break trail, we struggle for a day to push the envelope into new terrain, and I sure don't want 100 of my closest internet pals showing up there the next weekend because it got broadcast on the WWW.

Welcome to the sport and try to understand we are not being @$$holes dude, reading what a ski book says and being able to access the terrain on sled are globally different. I also know that teamdirt and buddies spent a significant amount of time breaking trail into an area a couple yrs back to have a little spot of heaven to themselves, only to have his hard work broadcast onto the internet Monday morning by someone else, for everyone to read, so put yourself in other people's shoes, if you found a little bowl of your own, would you want to share it with 100 other skiers the next weekend?

Between skiing and sledding you are looking at the terrain in vastly different ways and what you can ski down in 10 mins, might take you all day to go up with a sled. There are ski areas that most people are not able to access with a sled simply due to terrain, and while the books make it sound easy, often times in 2 ft of fresh powder it just ain't that easy. I'd be happy to show you around to some other areas if you are interested. I sent you a PM.

Mm

mcridge

Reaction score
If your talking silver mines... i'll give you directions on how to get to the valley. I can't believe that no one on here will help this guy out. It's not like your all locals who are trying to protect your secret local spots. Alot of us are from alberta and had someone else tell us or show us where these spots are. The mountains are for all to enjoy, not just a select few who have spent alot of time exploring. I have and am not scared to share an area with a newbie.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your talking silver mines... i'll give you directions on how to get to the valley. I can't believe that no one on here will help this guy out. It's not like your all locals who are trying to protect your secret local spots. Alot of us are from alberta and had someone else tell us or show us where these spots are. The mountains are for all to enjoy, not just a select few who have spent alot of time exploring. I have and am not scared to share an area with a newbie.
you obviously did not read all the posts, he is a noob looking for directions to sled(with his girl friend) in a local ski touring area... He was given advice to ride areas that are more sled specific and have people around to help if he gets into trouble.

It would be irresponsible to recommend or tell a noob how to get to Silvermines or any other area that has that much danger involved.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be irresponsible to recommend or tell a noob how to get to Silvermines or any other area that has that much danger involved.

100% agree P-D. As a sledder I feel obligated/responsible to help other sledders, both on and off the hill. Silvermines and many other areas around the area are not for the average person to go out and ride, there are big slopes and big risks with many of these areas. Risks which some people are not aware of if they are just given directions in. Something minor like "Make sure you pack gas" can have a significant effect on someone's experience in an area if just a little detail is omitted.

Top Bottom