CO detector

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advise on CO detectors in a enclosed trailer. Is this necessary? Do I install one that detects CO and propane because of the heater? If they are necessary why didn't the manufacturer put one in? Asked a few dealers and getting conflicting stories on this.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sure wouldn't hurt to have both. The only problem with a propane detector is they take quite a bit of power to run. If you only have one 12 volt battery in your trailer, between the detector, lights, stereo, etc, it won't take long to kill it. And the power supply from your truck to your trailer is not going to keep up to charging it. As far as a carbon monoxide detector, you can buy a portable unit that sticks to the wall that takes a 9 volt battery, and costs $50.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advise on CO detectors in a enclosed trailer. Is this necessary? Do I install one that detects CO and propane because of the heater? If they are necessary why didn't the manufacturer put one in? Asked a few dealers and getting conflicting stories on this.

How much time do you spend in your trailer with the doors closed? I'd put one in a holiday trailer but not a sled hauler unless you are planning to sleep in it. Wouldn't think a propane detector is really necessary unless you are stealing un-odorized propane from the gas plant you work at.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I hope to never have to spend the night in the trailer. My concerns I guess were more for just having a few pop's inside after riding. Checking around I think spending the $30 for a detector is cheap peace of mind. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom