CN vs Chevy

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyo MT definitely do not. Been running them in the summer for years. Terrible winter tires

If you use them in deep snow they work very well, found that out my last trip out. Knee deep snow from the road to my cabin (about a 1km long) and those Toyos did wonders in the snow. Im sure it helped to be on 40's but I was rather surprised that I didn't get stuck, thought for sure I was going to have to unload the sled.

27576590_2008145049454594_7019295554710536192_n.jpg

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lawsuit for what?
Improperly maintained crossing.

I donno who maintains the access road, should have been plowed and sanded if icey........

It's 2018, definetly not someone's fault and some will be sueing someone.

Last edited:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Improperly maintained crossing.

I donno who maintains the access road, should have been plowed and sanded if icey........

It's 2018, definetly not someone's fault and some will be sueing someone.

Insurance will just pay for replacement vs fight in a liability battle.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you use them in deep snow they work very well, found that out my last trip out. Knee deep snow from the road to my cabin (about a 1km long) and those Toyos did wonders in the snow. Im sure it helped to be on 40's but I was rather surprised that I didn't get stuck, thought for sure I was going to have to unload the sled.

View attachment 209421

Sure if the tire has decent tread left the large lugging will help chew through the snow. But you will never get me on the side that the toyo MT is a good winter tire.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a few more pics,
And this is another topic about adding trailer insurance to your policy. Your automobile policy covers only the liability damages that are caused by your truck and trailer. If you have collision on your truck this does not cover the trailer you are pulling or the contents in it. You need to insure your trailer for collision, in Alberta trailer insurance runs around $300 - $500 per year.

I don't pay anywhere near that for collision on my enclosed(Replacement cost). It costs the same as PL/PD.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a few more pics,
And this is another topic about adding trailer insurance to your policy. Your automobile policy covers only the liability damages that are caused by your truck and trailer. If you have collision on your truck this does not cover the trailer you are pulling or the contents in it. You need to insure your trailer for collision, in Alberta trailer insurance runs around $300 - $500 per year.

I don't pay anywhere near that for collision on my enclosed(Replacement cost). It costs the same as PL/PD.
What company?

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay about $200 a year for collision fire and theft on my travel trailer. Only worth about 10,000 though.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 209421

not really a fair comparison. you had about 1K of payload in the back of your truck with that loaded yamaha

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BACK TO THE TRAIN ISSUE ! Yes I"m a Loco Engineer and have worked in multiple dept"s. We do not want pin heads to start dropping things across the tracks ! This is just some info for when there is a EMERGENCY ! If time permit's, 911. Then,short rails out. or vise/versa, depending on are situation. Then run in both directions and place something "RED" between the rails at least 1 Mile !, so we may have a chance to slow down or simply flap you arms like a chicken if you see a train. We can not stop on the dime ! I love to sled and trains and sleds dont mix, neither do semi trucks. Did that a few yrs ago.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BACK TO THE TRAIN ISSUE ! Yes I"m a Loco Engineer and have worked in multiple dept"s. We do not want pin heads to start dropping things across the tracks ! This is just some info for when there is a EMERGENCY ! If time permit's, 911. Then,short rails out. or vise/versa, depending on are situation. Then run in both directions and place something "RED" between the rails at least 1 Mile !, so we may have a chance to slow down or simply flap you arms like a chicken if you see a train. We can not stop on the dime ! I love to sled and trains and sleds dont mix, neither do semi trucks. Did that a few yrs ago.
I find this interesting.

How long does it take to stop a train?

And what does it feel like when you hit a semi in a train?

Kinda like hitting a deer in a semi?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My younger brother is a locomotive engineer. He said to me" should I ever get stuck on a crossing, if you have time, lay something metal, anything, across both rails. This will close the circuit and cause the closest signal lights to turn red. This will force the oncoming train to slow to 15kms and watch for something on the tracks. Or, if you can, send someone in each direction asap, with something red-preferably attached to a stick- like a shirt or rag or orange flagging etc, as far down the track as they can. Place the red item in the middle of the rails. This will tell the train crew that there is an emergency ahead and to slow the train." If you have time!

It only works for trains controlled by signals as well. There is lots of areas that trains operate in dark territory not controlled by signals and operate on voice instructions.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find this interesting.

How long does it take to stop a train?

And what does it feel like when you hit a semi in a train?

Kinda like hitting a deer in a semi?
it all depends on how fast the train is traveling, how much weight it is carrying, how many cars it has, grade, track temperature....... you do the math.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters at all in this situation, but should any of you ever find yourself stuck or see a situation involving someone stuck at a crossing, there is almost always a number to call on the crossing signs which directs you to the Rail Traffic Control center for that area. There is normally a number on the sign or a name of a local siding or mile markers, its not worth taking a chance over, make the call, ensure there is no traffic inbound and then get unstuck.

This is oblivious only helpful if you have cell service and time to make the call but the controller can get a hold of the train crew to inform them of issues ahead.

Is there a radio frequency that the engineers monitor?

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scarry as you dont know what is on the truck.....been there, done that. Duck because who knows what will break the glass.

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have TGBO's. Train Orders to give direction on our route. No Dark Territory at all ! Yes when we operate on OCS territory this applies. However you can go in either direction and place a red flag or something to alert us. Please and thank you.

Top Bottom