CN vs Chevy

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My younger brother is a locomotive engineer. He said to me" should I ever get stuck on a crossing, if you have time, lay something metal, anything, across both rails. This will close the circuit and cause the closest signal lights to turn red. This will force the oncoming train to slow to 15kms and watch for something on the tracks. Or, if you can, send someone in each direction asap, with something red-preferably attached to a stick- like a shirt or rag or orange flagging etc, as far down the track as they can. Place the red item in the middle of the rails. This will tell the train crew that there is an emergency ahead and to slow the train." If you have time!

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
my younger brother is a locomotive engineer. He said to me" should i ever get stuck on a crossing, if you have time, lay something metal, anything, across both rails. This will close the circuit and cause the closest signal lights to turn red. This will force the oncoming train to slow to 15kms and watch for something on the tracks. Or, if you can, send someone in each direction asap, with something red-preferably attached to a stick- like a shirt or rag or orange flagging etc, as far down the track as they can. Place the red item in the middle of the rails. This will tell the train crew that there is an emergency ahead and to slow the train." if you have time!

i heard that about laying a metal strip across train tracks would set off the closest signals for the trains... Is it actually true?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard that about laying a metal strip across train tracks would set off the closest signals for the trains... Is it actually true?
Yes it does. I have installed railway crossing light systems before. That is how we tested them. Grab a stick of conduit off the truck and lay it across the tracks.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. I have installed railway crossing light systems before. That is how we tested them. Grab a stick of conduit off the truck and lay it across the tracks.
So if that didn't function properly, lawsuit time?

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now this is very useful information. Again, doesn't sound like in this situation there was much time for that, but at least we can all feel like experts if we find ourselves stranded across a set of tracks in the future!

PonyboyCurtis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can confirm, used to do this as kids to stop cars at crossings. We would use a wire and thought it was funny back then, little buggers!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here's a few more pics,
And this is another topic about adding trailer insurance to your policy. Your automobile policy covers only the liability damages that are caused by your truck and trailer. If you have collision on your truck this does not cover the trailer you are pulling or the contents in it. You need to insure your trailer for collision, in Alberta trailer insurance runs around $300 - $500 per year. Don't believe me ask your broker/agent, don't find out the hard way as I know a few that have. Lucky these guys were ok. I frequent Summer River Lodge and cross these tracks each time we enter terrys yard, no issues.

In a case like this the liability of the truck insurance will most likely cover the damage to the train, Clean up of any fluids that excaped within the accident being from the train and the truck including engineering costs, there is also a cost down the line for the train to stop, and all the other trains that have to stop along the line. They do have time sensitive freight. This will get expensive.

IMG_9264.jpg IMG_9265.jpg IMG_9266.jpg IMG_9267.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom