Clutching suggestions

R_janssen

Reaction score
I was debating on putting the SLP y-pipe and pipe but from what i've read it isn't worth the 6 or so Hp. I currently have an SLP can my 2012 E-Tec 800, so I'm thinking I might just do a bit of clutching. It just has stock clutching right now and pulled strong and never went off of clicker 1.

So my questions is, what is a good clutch kit to put on? Whats everyone having good success with? And should I just to work to the primary or secondary as well?

Thanks

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The full SLP combo works very well on the 2012 Etec. I don't understand when you say it isn't worth the 6hp or so? Peak HP is only slightly higher than stock, but torque is improved throughout the entire range. With the SLP it runs best at about 8050 rpm as well with stock clutching. One of the ways Doo controls rpm is through their tiny pipe. The SLP was worth it for me. When this thing hits 7200 rpm you know it.

Clutching is subjective. Just like with women, some guys like blondes, some like brunettes, Maxwell likes ginger's from what I hear? :p (not an official fact)

What do you feel your current clutching lacks? The stock 2012 clutching has its short comings, but I rode with it for near 1800ish miles last winter and just compensated with the way I ride. It doesn't have an explosive bottom end that many people like, but at WOT its hard to want to change it. It recovers RPM's (back shift) okay, its not great, but not horrible. I have ridden some fairly heavily modified 2012's that work awesome but depending on your riding style it might not be what you need.

There isn't just one clutch set up that works for everyone. Understand what your current clutching lacks for you and go from there.

R_janssen

Reaction score
Don't have any concerns with the clutching but I am going to pull the clutch apart and check the ramps and everything for wear. Just thought if It needs anything I would put a clutch kit in while it was apart. I wouldn't mind a little more bottom end power for when I need it. I might still put the full SLP pipe and Y-pipe on though.

I've got all summer to decide what I want to do. I just more so wanted to get some ideas of what other have done for what works and doesn't.

rotaxsummit

Reaction score
Im doing the P85 primary and Paragon secondary at MM right now 0n my 2011 etec turbo, they seem to now their clutches talk to Ken 780-474-9400

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our Spi kits have worked absolutely awesome, i cant say enough good things about the results we had. IMO single biggest problem with the tra clutches is the primary and the fact in stock form you cannot adjust the moveable sheave to belt side clearance. However that being said we have a shim kit which now allows us to accomplish this. Go ahead and measure this tolerance i would bet you will find it is in excess of .050" which is way to much, ideal is .015"-.020". By tightening this tolerence not only do you gain a more positive engagement(less trenching) it decreases belt slippage and best of all increases track speed by running the belt higher in the primary. Shim kit= $50.00 includes all the shims you need and the fingers to hold your slider shoes in the gov cup. With our setup we have also drastically been able to increase our gear ratio without sacrificing any belt life. Give me a call for further info 780 986 6370.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just some food for thought, those of you who are dead set on doing the p 85 on your doo thing. We have available to us a quick change full race version of the p 85. Comes machined to fit your crank, pre balanced and has a quick adjuster to set your moveable sheave to belt side clearance on the clutch shaft. Better than a stock p 85.

Deano

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just some food for thought, those of you who are dead set on doing the p 85 on your doo thing. We have available to us a quick change full race version of the p 85. Comes machined to fit your crank, pre balanced and has a quick adjuster to set your moveable sheave to belt side clearance on the clutch shaft. Better than a stock p 85.

Deano

is there any truth to the fact that the crank stubs can not withstand the torque that the P85's can put on them with the 800R?

rotaxsummit

Reaction score
Their is nothing wrong with running a P-85 on a doo as long as its a balanced clutch. Mountain magic runs the polaris primary in all their turbos. the p-85 is a great clutch, easy to set up, and tough.

Top Bottom