clutches getting smokin hot on rev

dieselboy

Reaction score
i have a 2005 rev 800 151 and i got all the screen kits and vent kits and my deflection is good but yet my clutches are getting very HOT :confused: , it seems after 5-10 minutes of riding the sled isnt getting as much power to the ground, becuase at first it will stant on the back wheels :D then after a while the ski's will only be about 4 to 5 feet off the ground :( . could use some advice

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
WELCOME ABOARD, DIESELBOY... ARE THEY STOCK GEARS IN IT STILL?? BE SURE TO POST YOU HOME FLAG/PIN ON THE "MEMBERMAP" ON THE FRONT FORUM PAGE, JUST DOWN THE LEFT SIDE.......

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does your secondary free float on the jackshaft at all or is it tight???

dieselboy

Reaction score
for gears not sure but the clutches have been messed around with and it is tight to the jack shaft

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion but typically there are 3 thin shims in behind the jackshaft bolt, I would remove 2 of them and let the clutch self centre on the jackshaft as your clutches turn. It doesnt take much misalignment to heat clutches up. MY TWO CENTS:cool:

dieselboy

Reaction score
its only got 1600kms on it so weak spring i dunno? but could it be that the guy who biult it for me clutch it for high attitude ?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the condition of the belt? and how hot is hot, your clutches will always be hot to the touch, cold hand warm clutch, is your max rpm consistant? do you think your clutch back shifting properly. Do you have any black marks on the primary? you'll always get some on the bottom of the primary. You said you had the clutches built how did the sled run before, or is this sled new to you?

dieselboy

Reaction score
hot like cant keep your hand on clutch brand new belt old belt same thing and i bought the sled last year and modded it but i didnt pay attention what it was like before does it make a difference if it is clutched for high altitude?

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its only got 1600kms on it so weak spring i dunno? but could it be that the guy who biult it for me clutch it for high attitude ?

Typically if you are clutched STRICTLY for mountain riding your setup will be light for at home and your sled will over rev. What is your max rpm that your getting

dieselboy

Reaction score
its like 3000feet i was just looking at it in the shop and the bolt that comes out of the secondary doesnt have anykind of a spacer on it to hold the bolt back from squeezing the clutch like there is on other sleds one supposed to be there?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hot to the touch, i'm refering to is as soon as you hand touches the clutches you get BURNT, after I make a 1 mile pull on a hill this is how hot mine are but I have vertually no belt dust and my rollers are like brand new after 700km of mountain riding and it was above zero at the time, every high horse power sled I've owned i've never been able to hold my hand on the clutch for very long. it sounds like there is a heavy finish rate spring in the primary and light weight in the pins.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its like 3000feet i was just looking at it in the shop and the bolt that comes out of the secondary doesnt have anykind of a spacer on it to hold the bolt back from squeezing the clutch like there is on other sleds one supposed to be there?
Can you slide the clutch back and forth on the jack shaft?

dieselboy

Reaction score
caper11 on your rev behind the thick washer on your secondary bolt is there supposed to be a space there?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
caper11 on your rev behind the thick washer on your secondary bolt is there supposed to be a space there?
I'm thinking there is but i'll run out to the shop and look, from cold clutches to hot when you notice a preformance loss is you rpm the same, what clicker are you on?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
behind the washer on my clutch there is something there it is a darker gray, I don't know what it's mad of but I don't know if you have the same secondary as mine, maybe deano can answer this one.

Top Bottom