clutch problems

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went out for a quick ride in Bruderheim on my way up to Fort McMurray, I havent had my KX 250 out of the garage since May '07, when I fired it up everything went good; new gas, plug, chain lube etc. I rode for a few minutes and than the bike wouldnt go anywhere. Motor ran good still but no power to the rear wheel, The tranny oil is old and a little milky so I will cahnge that, anyone have any suggestions if that doesnt work?

Reaction score
Ok my dad is the person with 25 years in the small engine mechainc so i have learned a bit, me first gess would be to check the front sproket if it doesn't do anything then i would check the transmission. I don't think it would be the clutch or the bike would have a hard time to start.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went out for a quick ride in Bruderheim on my way up to Fort McMurray, I havent had my KX 250 out of the garage since May '07, when I fired it up everything went good; new gas, plug, chain lube etc. I rode for a few minutes and than the bike wouldnt go anywhere. Motor ran good still but no power to the rear wheel, The tranny oil is old and a little milky so I will cahnge that, anyone have any suggestions if that doesnt work?
wrong oil in trans or broken clutch spring inside

Waxy

Reaction score
Since you're going to be draining all the oil anyway, I'd be taking that clutch apart rather than just throwing new oil in there.

Make sure the plates are all within spec and not grooved, and that you don't have any broken or worn out clutch springs.

I'm guessing you can put a new clutch in that bike for around $50-75 depending on exactly what you need, and assuming the basket is still in good shape. You may want to look into that as an option

After doing that, make sure all your gaskets/o-rings are good, buy new ones. Check your counter sprocket too, that's good advice, make sure it's tight and sealing (no oil weeping out). Any water getting into the transmission will just give you the same problems in short order.

Fill it up with good quality oil and you should be good to go.

Waxy

Top Bottom