Clemina Avalanche Video

BSLAP

Reaction score
I think you do have a point here...it's so easy sitting from home watching the video on your computer and passing judgment.

Most everyone that's posted here "claims" that they aren't doing stupid stuff like climbing south facing slopes, sitting in the bottom of run out zones, and some even say that they are "playing it safe", doing meadows and what have you....etc, etc...

On the video you will notice that the eight sitting at the bottom obviously must have been taking pokes before the guy that sets off the avy. That hill is very tracked up.....So, there are what?? Nine people that are total idiots?? Come on guys.....it could have been any of you on that hill or at the bottom.

There is no point in bashing each other over this. The ones that are truly playing it safe are staying at home or doing flatland stuff. There are some mountain riders are still going to the mountains and doing what they love to do....and that usually involves HILLCLIMBING.....whether it be on a south facing slope or not.

There is no use in saying that there is "safe" places to ride in the mountains. There is no such thing. I witnessed it myself this year....saw a place slide that I never, ever thought would slide. It really hit home that the snowpack is just way to unstable this year. The risks are there, and as long as people have the sleds and the means to get to these areas there is no use to tell them otherwise. THEY AREN'T LISTENING!!!

It would really be a positive step for our sport if EVERYONE took an avalanche course, knew how to use their gear, (and I don't mean just relying on your ABS pack!!) studied the avalanche forecast before going out, and used common sense when they were out....it would save so many lives and would prevent a lot of the back lashing that I see going on here.

Please sign up for the next avalanche course April 18 & 19th in Valemount. It is so necessary, and it the smartest thing that you will do all season!!

ZacsTracs

Well said Snoqueen. It's so easy for people to pass judgment.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you do have a point here...it's so easy sitting from home watching the video on your computer and passing judgment.

Most everyone that's posted here "claims" that they aren't doing stupid stuff like climbing south facing slopes, sitting in the bottom of run out zones, and some even say that they are "playing it safe", doing meadows and what have you....etc, etc...

On the video you will notice that the eight sitting at the bottom obviously must have been taking pokes before the guy that sets off the avy. That hill is very tracked up.....So, there are what?? Nine people that are total idiots?? Come on guys.....it could have been any of you on that hill or at the bottom.

There is no point in bashing each other over this. The ones that are truly playing it safe are staying at home or doing flatland stuff. There are some mountain riders are still going to the mountains and doing what they love to do....and that usually involves HILLCLIMBING.....whether it be on a south facing slope or not.

There is no use in saying that there is "safe" places to ride in the mountains. There is no such thing. I witnessed it myself this year....saw a place slide that I never, ever thought would slide. It really hit home that the snowpack is just way to unstable this year. The risks are there, and as long as people have the sleds and the means to get to these areas there is no use to tell them otherwise. THEY AREN'T LISTENING!!!

It would really be a positive step for our sport if EVERYONE took an avalanche course, knew how to use their gear, (and I don't mean just relying on your ABS pack!!) studied the avalanche forecast before going out, and used common sense when they were out....it would save so many lives and would prevent a lot of the back lashing that I see going on here.

Please sign up for the next avalanche course April 18 & 19th in Valemount. It is so necessary, and it the smartest thing that you will do all season!!

ZacsTracs

I agree with you to some extent...as there will always be some risk. However, there are definite ways to minimize the risk...and hillclimbing on any slope, no matter what aspect it is, isn't the "smart" thing to do right now.
I also agree that everyone should take an avalanche awareness course...the one that Zac's Tracs puts on is awesome and is fun at the same time. Having the gear is only good if you know how to use it! We always look at the CAC bulletins before we go out...It helps in assessing your risk and making a an educated decision as to what type of terrain is going to be safest for different areas.

Yes...there were 9 stupid people in that video...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'm also wondering if the group video taping went over there to see if everyone was ok or just watched from the "safe hill" they were on. Just my 2 cents!

from where they were it would take at LEAST 10 minuts to get over there..if the people that were close didnt have him out by then chances are its too late anyways.

obviously they didnt since they saw at least 10 sleds in that area. im sure it would have been a dif story if he was by himself

ps. they were on a safe hill..top of a knoll you access by riding a very wide ridge

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you to some extent...as there will always be some risk. However, there are definite ways to minimize the risk...and hillclimbing on any slope, no matter what aspect it is, isn't the "smart" thing to do right now.
I also agree that everyone should take an avalanche awareness course...the one that Zac's Tracs puts on is awesome and is fun at the same time. Having the gear is only good if you know how to use it! We always look at the CAA bulletins before we go out...It helps in assessing your risk and making a an educated decision as to what type of terrain is going to be safest for different areas.

Yes...there were 9 stupid people in that video...

I realize those 9 guys didn't make smart choices. However I hope now they now realize the absolute power of mother nature and never take her for granted again. All of them need to get educated now that have been given a second chance, and who knows? Maybe it scared them enough that they will get out of sledding all together!! They could be spokespeople at avalanche courses on "what not to do in the mountains." I sure hope that more people see this video and it starts sinking in!!

Thank you again Sasksummit for posting this video and taking those pictures. We really need more footage like that to really make people understand. Once again, please sign up for an avalanche course. Me, my husband and our 12 year old are signed up for the one in Valemount on the 18th & 19th of April. They need a MINIMUM of 24 registrants to hold the course. SIGN UP NOW!!! You can carry around all that expensive gear on your back but it's really not much good if you don't know how to use it!!

ZacsTracs

Toze

Reaction score
Does anyone know who the person was or the group at the bottom are?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm just saying that I've seen avalanches come down lots before.My brother was buried in one a few years ago, he was just weaveing though a creek bed and it broke 1000ft above him.We got him out in time but he was turning purple,the avalanche happened for no reason.Also seen one come down about a half mile from us and covered a main trail for a couple hundred feet,so if you were just trail riding you could have been buried.It's just not the hillclimb hills that slide!

What is this.... no reason? There is always a reason and it is related to weak layers underneath or extra weight on top. The extra weight on top can becaused by sunshine and/or wind loading and be perfectly "normal". Other than that little mistake I agree with you....:beer:

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that the bleeding hearts who have been trying to shut us down for years are going to watch the news! Yup it made the 6 o'clock news! Channel 2 CTV they will paint all sledders with the same brush! Not using our heads in the worst avy conditions in years. We are hurting ourselves by not riding safely in the areas that we have fought soooo hard to keep open!!!

urbanstyles

Reaction score
Alright,

I need to chime in here. As one of the 'idiots' at the bottom. Actually the one guy who's sled was burried from the run out. I agree that mistakes were made on this hill. But it was more from lack of knowledge than anything. That day was my second day in the mountains.. EVER. Should I have known to watch from a safer distance and to park with a way out? Yeah in hindsight, it seems pretty obvious. But anyone who says they start out a new activity or career or whatever and never misses something obvious.. is simply wrong. It's a mistake I'll never make again. There was two runs made at this hill before the one in the video. That's what cut the support away. Again, in hindsight, the guy riding should have just straight shot over the top, it's safe up there. Easy to criticize even your own actions after the fact. We thought we were safe sitting on the massive ridge at the base of the hill, ( and for the most part we were as it didn't roll out much past it) Lessons were learned, everyone involved was impacted by the severity of what happenned and will make much smarter decisions in the future. For myself, that will include an avalanche course. Call me an idiot if you like, I could really care less, but I agree with those that point out that education is the main factor, because trust me, some of that knowledge is not the sort that comes naturally to those starting out in the sport.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that the bleeding hearts who have been trying to shut us down for years are going to watch the news! Yup it made the 6 o'clock news! Channel 2 CTV they will paint all sledders with the same brush! Not using our heads in the worst avy conditions in years. We are hurting ourselves by not riding safely in the areas that we have fought soooo hard to keep open!!!

I totally agree with you on this one.....we are going to be faced with many more closures next season. Not only will the tree hugging nazi's close areas for so called endangered species, but now they really have ammunition to close areas simply because of the really bad choices that some have made. Too bad people didn't listen when the first avalanche warnings came out in December.....:nono:

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice video, but not so nice comments about this fellow sledder.I'm wondering why all these people with full brains and not pea size brains are still going to the mountains at all.Is it not to hillclimb or watch people hillclimb, and how do these smarter people know "the safe hills" they are climbing on are safe.I'm also wondering if the group video taping went over there to see if everyone was ok or just watched from the "safe hill" they were on. Just my 2 cents!

Yes did did go over to make sure they were ok.
It was about a 10 min ride from where we were. We watched the aftermath for a bit and could tell no one was running around looking. We were pretty positive he made it out.

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Way to go dunderheads your little stunt has just made the 6 oclock news. Now what do you think the public at large is going to think of this stunt? I have a pretty good idea and the majority will be thinking shut the back country down to protect those dimwhit sledders who don't seem to get it!!!! What was going through these sledders heads (nothing but air and testostorone) when we are in the middle of one of the worst avalanche seasons that we have experienced in many years and we have seen one of the highest sledder fatality rate ever recorded due to avalanches? I don't get it but someone in goverenment might get it and we will not like what their solution will be:rant:

Britt

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
That is amazing footage.It makes you wonder how he/she convinced him/herself it was safe to climb it.I think i will stick to the Grizzly

Apex162

Reaction score
Way to go dunderheads your little stunt has just made the 6 oclock news. Now what do you think the public at large is going to think of this stunt? I have a pretty good idea and the majority will be thinking shut the back country down to protect those dimwhit sledders who don't seem to get it!!!! What was going through these sledders heads (nothing but air and testostorone) when we are in the middle of one of the worst avalanche seasons that we have experienced in many years and we have seen one of the highest sledder fatality rate ever recorded due to avalanches? I don't get it but someone in goverenment might get it and we will not like what their solution will be:rant:

Britt
Couldn't agree more - the media is foaming at mouth what next:rant:

KingCatz

Reaction score
i didnt see it on the news what channel
It was on the CTV Calgary news @ 6pm... How much do the avy courses cost? I want to take one, but was thinking maybe more would take it if there was some kind of cost included with mountain sleds and you get a rebate if you register? People won't do anything like that it seems unless it is mandatory, or it is free (or some kinda rebate). I know you get money off if you are a member of some sled clubs, but again, not everyone is a member of those either.

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
Rule #1- Know your surroundings!!!!!!!!! That includes on the trail! Don't think that just because you are on a trail you are safe and can hang out having a sandwich when there is a mile long run out funneling right towards you!

BE AWARE AND TAKE THE BLINDERS OFF!!!!

So you have to be stopped and having a sandwich to be at risk of an avalanche on the trail. GOOD TO KNOW!!!!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Alright,

I need to chime in here. As one of the 'idiots' at the bottom. Actually the one guy who's sled was burried from the run out. I agree that mistakes were made on this hill. But it was more from lack of knowledge than anything. That day was my second day in the mountains.. EVER. Should I have known to watch from a safer distance and to park with a way out? Yeah in hindsight, it seems pretty obvious. But anyone who says they start out a new activity or career or whatever and never misses something obvious.. is simply wrong. It's a mistake I'll never make again. There was two runs made at this hill before the one in the video. That's what cut the support away. Again, in hindsight, the guy riding should have just straight shot over the top, it's safe up there. Easy to criticize even your own actions after the fact. We thought we were safe sitting on the massive ridge at the base of the hill, ( and for the most part we were as it didn't roll out much past it) Lessons were learned, everyone involved was impacted by the severity of what happenned and will make much smarter decisions in the future. For myself, that will include an avalanche course. Call me an idiot if you like, I could really care less, but I agree with those that point out that education is the main factor, because trust me, some of that knowledge is not the sort that comes naturally to those starting out in the sport.

Thanks for responding and I'm glad nobody was hurt and that your man enough to admit that a lesson was learned. Cheezs. ride safe :beer:

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It;s coming up on CBC national right away here.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright,

Cheers you can still have a beer, dont let any one sh!t on you.

Top Bottom