Chevy Silverado 1500 towing

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the turbo idea, and have been thinking about setting up a kit for my truck... then again I could buy a lot with 6g

But you will never get that bang for your buck like a turbo lol. Buddies 04 5.3 is pretty stupid with a 76 mm and poor tuning from some local yocal. At 10 psi the truck is 500 to the tires. Now that he has a bit more cam in it, and tune it properly....... Who knows.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But you will never get that bang for your buck like a turbo lol. Buddies 04 5.3 is pretty stupid with a 76 mm and poor tuning from some local yocal. At 10 psi the truck is 500 to the tires. Now that he has a bit more cam in it, and tune it properly....... Who knows.

Is he running factory ecu, injectors, and ignition? I too was looking at this for my 6.0l.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
60 pph injectors, aftermarket fuel pump. He converted from the stock returnless pump setup to return style in doing so. Originally his PCM was just tuned.... but he has gone with a custom operating system on the stock computer. Basically he deleted the mass airflow sensor ( because honestly its useless if you can tune) and he is staying open loop now ( versus closed loop operation stock where the O2 sensors control the air fuel ratio for stoich at cruise). Ignition is just the stock coil packs.

If you want to do this kind of thing I suggest you do like him or I have and buy the software to self tune. He went with HP tuners and I have EFILive. Both are good but I find EFI allows me to do more without emailing anyone ( like custom operating systems as an example). Tuning isn't nearly as difficult as some make it out to be...... That said I wouldn't trust anyone in Alberta to tune my wheelbarrow.

If I can ever find the truck I want ( clean low mile 03-07 reg cab short bed 4X4 GMC) I am building one too. I will be much, much wilder than the setup my buddy is running. But then my power and et goals are a lot loftier too.

Last edited:

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am towing a Jayco 28 foot trailer, that weighs in at a commerical scale at 4800 lbs, with all our stuff, and 2/3 tank of fresh water in it. My 2010 Silverado LT (with towing package, cooling, etc), will pull 9000'ish, so they say. I would NOT want to tow much heavier than I already do. You could do it, but not that well. I bought this trailer because it was a bit lighter and generally, am happy with its performance. I mean after all, it is a half ton. For the 6-10 times a year it gets used, it's all good. I wasn't prepared to get into a new Silverado HD just for that.

There are sacrifices to make if you want to tow a house behind you I suppose!

Top Bottom