Check this vid out.. Crazy!

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most hills like that end at the trees. He rode right out of the trees and onto the cornice. Not thinkin at all there. Plus he then pulled the sled back part way to the trees, he was probably still out on the cornice when he relaxed. I would have been back at the tree line.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah. What was wrong with that....

If ya go over it It's the quick way back down to the truck

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool video, as a person who spent his life back country skiing sometimes the mountain sense of sledders is unbelievable. It is called a "cornice" and you should stay off of them. Usually a good idea to stay out from under them too, another thing I see sledders doing all the time.

Great helmet cam footage though.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Last year up on morning glory where it overlooks kinbasket lake a few of us stopped to take in the view and get some pics.... I noticed this metal pole sticking out of the snow about 15ft in from us...I said "wow is that a survey post way up here"...upon closer examination it was an indicator of the cliff edge, we were all standing and parked 15' outside the cliff edge on a cornace with a straight drop down to the lake....

little un-nerving.....

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scary !!!!! Brother inlaw told he was sleding with a buddy one time and they stopped on top of mountian figureing they where save,not knowing they where on top of a cornice ! He got off his sled and his leg went through the cornice!He told his buddy to back up.He pulled out his leg and could see the valley bottom below!Later on they where in the valley and they looked up at the location and the way the sun was hitting the cornice you could see his leg hole.He was LUCKY that day .

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told 22 years ago on my first day in mountians. Don;t go passed the trees when climbing as that is the end of the cliff and you will be on a cornice

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if I were that guy I would of have backed up into the trees. Lucky he didn't fall cause where were his riding partners?

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's crazy scary just took an avy class and i must of missed that part still lots to learn

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's crazy scary just took an avy class and i must of missed that part still lots to learn

yua quick weekend class is just the begining,,, or good value from down low so to speak,,

so many variable's but I would say that guy made a major mistake,, always stop just past or at the tree line on stuff like that,, those cornices can get huge!!!!

or at least look first or check out the other side,, the snow was setup so who could of went anywhere no need to be on that cornice,,,

pretty kool vid I must say,,, it was close

Top Bottom