Check stops and the new BC ORV regulations.

Dunnbuggy

Reaction score
Off Road Vehicle Management Framework - Ministry of Forests ...
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca › mof › orv
The Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Management Framework was launched in 2009, with the goal of establishing ...
this is the web site if you want to read up on it

Last edited:

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to know if you do get nailed with no registration, will it be just a fine or will you be prevented from riding until you show proof of registration? That could ruin the day for sure!!

Read site DB just posted. I'm reading it will be a fine only of $230.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what if you have the sleds with insurance but no registration? Are you gonna get a fine? Even if we ride on crown land

You sure are. Sleds don't actually require insurance to ride on crown land or Forest Service Roads in BC, just registration....so you'd be missing the only thing you're actually required to have.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a OHV has to be registered to be on a trailer or in the back of your truck?
Yes it does.

from what I was told they can take your toy if you do not have proof of ownership. They will hold it( at your expense) until you have the bill of sale or what ever paperwork is required.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it does.

from what I was told they can take your toy if you do not have proof of ownership. They will hold it( at your expense) until you have the bill of sale or what ever paperwork is required.

Bill of sale is not the same document as registration. If I have the bill of sale, I wouldn't need registration to transport the thing.

(SK)AndyM

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear,
out of province registration is sufficient??

Was reading the regulations and part of it led me to believe all that was required was proof of ownership (bill of sale) for out of province (SK). I am assuming with the new ORV requirements in BC this year we will all need valid plates and out of province should be fine with nothing more>?

(SK)AndyM

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear,
out of province registration is sufficient??

Was reading the regulations and part of it led me to believe all that was required was proof of ownership (bill of sale) for out of province (SK). I am assuming with the new ORV requirements in BC this year we will all need valid plates and out of province should be fine with nothing more>?

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/mof/orv/QA_ORV_Act.pdf

A link to BC'S ORV

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they are looking to have the plate in a specific spot on the sled?

I'm thinking about scanning my plate and having a wrap style sticker made up and putting it on the side of my tunnel. Original plate could stay under the seat and no holes would have to be drilled in the sled.

Wonder how they would feel about that?

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they are looking to have the plate in a specific spot on the sled?

I'm thinking about scanning my plate and having a wrap style sticker made up and putting it on the side of my tunnel. Original plate could stay under the seat and no holes would have to be drilled in the sled.

I'm just guessing that won't work

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my question. I live in Alberta but have never registered my sled because I ride in SK if I ever ride around home. So as an Alberta resident can I register my sled in BC instead of Alberta? Just simply because I would rather have a sticker then having to mount a plate on my sled.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here's my question. I live in Alberta but have never registered my sled because I ride in SK if I ever ride around home. So as an Alberta resident can I register my sled in BC instead of Alberta? Just simply because I would rather have a sticker then having to mount a plate on my sled.

Because a sled is a motor vehicle, you need a BC residence and a BC driver's license to register it in BC. I have some new found experience with registering sled and it will be over my dead body before I register it in BC.

Let me ask you this. Is that sled legal in Saskatchewan? If you can somehow register it in BC, yes you can have a sticker. It is your choice between a plate and a sticker.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I don't know what the enforcing officer would say, but if it is legal in your home province, it will be legal in BC. Maybe it will depend on whether the CO wants to be a dick or not.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Its in the document for mounting.

Where do I mount the number plate or sticker to comply with the ORV Act regulations?• The number plate or sticker must be clearly visible on the front, back or left exterior of thevehicle and fastened in a horizontal position. In the case of motorcycles, a sticker may beattached in a vertical position on the left front fork with the first number/letter at thebottom of the fork.• The number plate or sticker must be unobstructed, free of dirt and kept in good conditionso that the numbers and letters can be easily read.• The ORV Act registration and a number plate or sticker may also be used for highwayscrossings if the ORV is also licensed and insured under the Motor Vehicle Act and displays acurrent insurance validation decal affixed to the number plate or sticker.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sure are. Sleds don't actually require insurance to ride on crown land or Forest Service Roads in BC, just registration....so you'd be missing the only thing you're actually required to have.

Based on the BC Gov document I would challenge you in saying that sleds dont need insurance to ride on Forest Service Roads. Just based on their document.

• Insurance – On public roads and highways, Basic insurance continues to be a requirementfor all motorists, including ORV owners; ORV riders who opt for incidental access tohighways will require ICBC’s Basic insurance. On Forest Service Roads, $200,000 in thirdpartyliability insurance continues to be a requirement. On all other Crown land, liabilityinsurance is voluntary but recommended.

I am not saying you are wrong, but they will have the ability to enforce it as it is written.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/mof/orv/

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its in the document for mounting.

Where do I mount the number plate or sticker to comply with the ORV Act regulations?• The number plate or sticker must be clearly visible on the front, back or left exterior of thevehicle and fastened in a horizontal position. In the case of motorcycles, a sticker may beattached in a vertical position on the left front fork with the first number/letter at thebottom of the fork.• The number plate or sticker must be unobstructed, free of dirt and kept in good conditionso that the numbers and letters can be easily read.• The ORV Act registration and a number plate or sticker may also be used for highwayscrossings if the ORV is also licensed and insured under the Motor Vehicle Act and displays acurrent insurance validation decal affixed to the number plate or sticker.

Hey Thanks :) The link wasn't showing up on my phone in the earlier post. I see it now that I am on the laptop.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Thanks :) The link wasn't showing up on my phone in the earlier post. I see it now that I am on the laptop.

Keep in mind, you are in Alberta so you are bound by the requirements of the Alberta registration laws first. Alberta's laws are in need of a overhaul but as per the document

Licence plates18
(1) The Registrar must issue an off-highway licence plate for anoff-highway vehicle if the Registrar issues a certificate ofregistration for the off-highway vehicle.
(2) The Registrar must issue off-highway vehicle licence plates inthe number and of the type and colour approved by the Minister.
(3) The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licenceplate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of theoff-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it does.

Nope. Only if it comes up as stolen, or is being transported on a truck or trailer that is stolen. Or is on the roadway or crown land without the proper registration and insurance. They can check it out, but without just cause, they cannot seize it.

Top Bottom