Check Eng/Temp/Rev lights???

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have never summerized my sleds, and today I went to spark it up for it's monthly firing. My sled almost got to operating temps, but then it died. I have given it new fuel all summer, so that shouldn't be the isssue??? But even when I resparked it, and got to operating temps, it wouldn't idle on the bottom end? Also the 3 light's in the title would come on, on the dash just before it would die.
My last trip in Revy at the end of March, it started to do the same thing, I thought I was hitting my RER button on down hills???
I have ripped it across the yard a few times in the wet summer, but I don't know what's going on now?

Any help would knowledgeable be appreciated :D

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is it idling at, should be 1800.Does it do it at a higher idle? Could be the free play in the throttle or voltage reg.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hmm almost sounds like the stator acting up when it gets warm?

Hmmmm..... That makes sense!

What is it idling at, should be 1800.Does it do it at a higher idle? Could be the free play in the throttle or voltage reg.

Reg idle, but when it gets close to 110F it shuts down and flash's the lights. There is no free play in the throttle, once it has reached the operating temp, it just shuts down. I took it out for a rip, took the hose to the tunnel and sliders first. Whacked the throttle (with tether on :D)
She hesitated and then phucked off, But then cooling it back down before going to bed. She still wouldn't idle for me :(

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it flash any codes when you first start it? There should be some freeplay in the throttle though.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does it flash any codes when you first start it? There should be some freeplay in the throttle though.

No sir, fire's up on the 3rd pull from dead cold. I do know about throttle free play.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hope ya find out what it is, as the snow is going to start falling wednesday this week, looks like 2-3 ft maybe. hehe

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throttle freeplay should be 0.010-0.030 measured between throttle block and flipper.Not sure why it shuts down at 110F could be the stator.Does it just quit or does the idle slowly come down and quit? Will it start right back up?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 3 lights come on the dash, and it just quits!
It takes about 3-5 pulls just to make it spark, and about another 3 to fire up for 30 seconds.

I'll go back outside right now, to see what it does again. Thinking it will be the same :confused:

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the voltage regulator is on it's way out.Have you ever changed it?Should have a look at it see if the back of it is melted.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
325 org miles on it, so no. I have never changed it

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just went out and sparked it, 1 pull (at 100F) and she fired. Idling between 1650-1750, let it idle to 130F and it didn't fall???
I hate Murphy's Law....
I did take it for a good rip across the grass earlier, maybe just the plugs are fowling up???
I don't know?

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check the voltage reg it's under the spare belt holder. If it looks ok put some seafoam in the gas tank,might have a sticky injector loading the motor with gas.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would check the voltage reg it's under the spare belt holder. If it looks ok put some seafoam in the gas tank,might have a sticky injector loading the motor with gas.

Thank you, I'll check an do that tomorrow :D

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say possible voltage regulator as well. If you can get it to act up again, look at the battery meter on the right side of the gauge. Check to see if the level drops at all.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 on voltage regulator. There is an updated regulator that replaces stock one because they fail all the time. Mine wouldn't quit but when the regulator got warm my headlights dimmed, my guage cluster wouldnt come on and it wont idle right/bog. replaced with the updated regulator problem solved. I know my sled is a 06 rmk 600 but i've heard of this issue with the 2008-2010 800's as well and some with low milage like yours. I think there is a thread about it in this section from last year.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you and good call y'all. Just put the new reg in it and went for a bit of a rip. That has seemed to cure it :D

Very big thanks to Rhodesie, for running my VIN # and catching it while I still had 6 or 7 days of warranty left :beer: :beer: :D

Top Bottom