Chainsaw Recomendations

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Premium fuel usually sits in the tanks longer than the regular. Most repairs done to power saws in the shops is because of fuel related problems, ethanol eating the lines and carbs gummed up. But hey at least you saved 10 dollars in buying cheap fuel.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I buy the premixed stuff right from Husqy just for that reason. Has stabilizer built right in. It's expensive but my saw only gets used a couple times a year so probably worth it.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look on your chain bar if it says the ES bar you have a good bar. If not ....well they do make better bars for sure. Windsor made a good bar but I think the got bought out by Oregon so who knows. Cannon makes an expensive good bar.

I don't see ES on here

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha ha it should be on the end of the bar passed the stihl, I would say yours is the grease kind

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Premium fuel usually sits in the tanks longer than the regular. Most repairs done to power saws in the shops is because of fuel related problems, ethanol eating the lines and carbs gummed up. But hey at least you saved 10 dollars in buying cheap fuel.

With a heavy recreational element in the Koots, the premium is rotated quite well. As I stated above, I've never had a fuel related problem. If one believes what is written on the pumps, there is no ethanol in premium fuel.

In the video, he talks about "standard pump fuel". Is he referring to regular? I know that my saws don't like regular fuel and purr like a kitten on premium.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^

I agree with dougs assessment of premium fuel in tanks, it turns over enough to not be stale, their premium tanks are usually not as large as regular gas tanks, and those they fill every week. I have gone through 12 l of premium this month on two saws, @$1.15 a litre, buying the "canned gas at ctc, wallyworld or ?? Would be over $120. Lol i'll leave that califonia fuel to those that have extra cash

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aspen fuel is 30 dollars for 5 liters, most people would take a couple of years to burn that up in their little motors. I would not be surprised if that was not equivalent to 8 liters of premium fuel, it runs that much better. 12 liters a month equals a lot of run time... on my saws anyway.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Aspen fuel is 30 dollars for 5 liters, most people would take a couple of years to burn that up in their little motors. I would not be surprised if that was not equivalent to 8 liters of premium fuel, it runs that much better. 12 liters a month equals a lot of run time... on my saws anyway.

I burn, more or sometimes less than 25 liters a year in my saws. I just take it out of my sled gas stock and use cheap 2 stroke oil (Castrol). My last Stihl was purchased in 1982 and I ran it for over 20 years (passed it down to one of our sons and it is still running well). I don't think I have a problem.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That is all I use now for the last 2 years.

2 chain saws and a leaf blower.

Probably only us 5 liters a year.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me I'll be lucky to burn two tanks of fuel this summer.
Premix fuel makes it simple.
I'm all good.

yup, i agree for the amount you use a litre or two is affordable, more than that it becomes a different story, for me at least. and i think i will be over 20 litres fairly soon.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes i agree, you have assessed what works for you, no problem. i find it very expensive, was $9 a litre when i looked, that gives me around 8 lts at the pump, sthil runs very good. pretty much using mine every 2nd to 3rd day right now, 3-4 hrs, with last weekend 2 days 17 hrs, and the young lads husky(nice saw), been that way for a couple weeks, into the dangerous part now, then onto tree topping if able. these are 70-80 ft trees, wet and heavy. i am becoming a bit f---it thinking these days. haven't cut this much wood in 30yrs. surveying days, was usually an everyday occurrence .

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't beat a 365 Husq, but if your just using it recreationally don't spend the extra money. I've got a 280 C and its does well for the weekender.Nice that is has a tooless bar tensioner for us that loose the chansaw tool time to time.

Top Bottom