Chainsaw Recomendations

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an older ms250 without easy start. It had those crappie leaky oil and gas caps. Finally got the updated ones.It took a while to break it in but now it runs good.It's my camping, limbing7,quad saw.I also have a 036 pro, night and day better, heavy but does it cut and it's never been back to the dealer and it's probably 17 years old. Starts and runs like a dream, never have to touch the needles. Big difference between a pro saw and a homeowner saw.
There are updated caps? Did they cover under warranty or did you just go buy them? Cost?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine suck , leak everywhere....
Both of the new models ( low end ) are not what they used to be for husky & Stihl ... sadly .
I would also look at a Mikita .

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine suck , leak everywhere....
Both of the new models ( low end ) are not what they used to be for husky & Stihl ... sadly .
I would also look at a Mikita .

I would stay away from Mikita! Not sure if they have gotten better in the last few years but my brother bought one in about 2005 and pure junk. Pulan was twice the saw.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya may as well wrap a fishing line around a tree and pull back n forth than try some of these poulans. BIL used to get his weekly workout trying to get his started, or he just faked it till i pulled out my stihl ms 260. my young lad has a nice husky that runs good, cuts nice too. after a chain tune-up . lol.:theCabin:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two entertaining things about Poulan owners, they brag about how cheap they are and that they cut good AND I enjoy watching them try to start their Poulans

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For firewood, the smallest I would go is the 266xp or the 044 in the stihl line... bigger is better . Mine is the Husqvarna 61, to heavy for light work and too light for heavy work. The perfect saw for sledbunnyracing ha ha. It is 20 years old and runs great all the time. Every saw works great with aspen fuel.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shindaiwa also make a very good saw ...
our local rental store switched over to them . From both Stihl & husky .
Very powerful & reliable saws ....

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
77d9b7b5c03ff66c7f770389256cfed4.jpg

This little saw is the best thing I have bought and I use it the most .
Have a tool box made up with oil,gas,chain,small spitting axe and saw .
Pricey but with sharp chain they cut awesome.
Big work requires a big saw .

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not but whether you buy a stihl or a husky buy it from a saw shop not big box. The big box models are budget built and not of the same quality as the real deals. Much better service and support at the local saw shop too.

I have a trusty old 266XP that I probably won't ever get rid of, great saw in its day and still a good firewood saw.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to throw a wrench into the mix. With what 95% of us cut for firewood, save yourself from ever having to replace it and buy yourself a Stihl MS 241CM.

Bought the saw 2 years ago for limbing, and have never used my larger bucking saw (270) since. Small light little unit, revs to the moon and cuts wood better than most 50cc saws I've used.With auto adjusting carbs these 42CC units run so good all the time, it just really isn't needed to go larger anymore...She starts 2nd pull every single time, with very little vibration being a pro grade saw. Never had a saw sing through wood like that little thing does. Keep the 16" Bar, buy a full chisel chain (63PS) and you will smile every time you use it.

If you are one of those "I hate Stihl people" the Huskys have come a long way as well, but I would stick with an "XP" unit, 550XP, 543XP etc. JMO.

Whatever you do, keep an eye out for the sales though, I believe my 241 was like 520 bucks? Well worth it.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shindaiwa also make a very good saw ...
our local rental store switched over them . From both Stihl & husky .
Very powerful & reliable saws ....

I have had mine for 20 years. Great saw but I have a small 14" bar on it and the chain doesn't stay sharp very long. It is the only reason I got a stihl for the bigger saw. Most people won't spend that kind of cash on a chainsaw though. They will outlast anything out there.

SamStorm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So has anyone had any experience with those Li-on Huskys? Thinking of getting one to toss on the SxS if I can find somewhere to mount it. 77" wide wheelbase and bumpers are taking a beating on trees. Thing has the turning radius of a bus and 17 point turns get a little tiresome some days, along with getting stuck in the twisties.
Like the thought of battery over gas not having to worry about fuel going bad for the little use it may get. But im off the school better to have it and need it than not have it.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So has anyone had any experience with those Li-on Huskys? Thinking of getting one to toss on the SxS if I can find somewhere to mount it. 77" wide wheelbase and bumpers are taking a beating on trees. Thing has the turning radius of a bus and 17 point turns get a little tiresome some days, along with getting stuck in the twisties.
Like the thought of battery over gas not having to worry about fuel going bad for the little use it may get. But im off the school better to have it and need it than not have it.

I have the Stihl battery powered saw for my sxs and love it, just dont go cheap on the battery, if they offer different sizes, go with the biggest. As for cutting, it is very impressive and the battery lasts longer than you expect, just gotta remember to charge it.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am actually considering using my shindawa on my sxs instead of the stihl. It starts quicker.

Top Bottom