Chainsaw Recomendations

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know some places here in Calgree, require an operator with an "Aerial Lift Ticket". Because of potential liability...

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 100% guilty of this! guess I've got some research to do!

I recommend getting a gauge to check tooth angle and raker height when learning to sharpen a saw. Stihl made a nice one.
Proper Angles are important to keep consistent on all teeth.
Low rakers are just as bad and worse than ones that are too high.
The biggest thing I notice when I use someone else's saw is that it cuts crooked, and the chain is filed differently from one side to the other. A crooked cutting saw make the bar wear uneven making the saw cut even worse.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hardwoods and Frozen wood require more angle and lower raker depths, if you don't your saw is not doing the work ...you are.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hardwoods and Frozen wood require more angle and lower raker depths, if you don't your saw is not doing the work ...you are.

Ahh I think you have that backwards. Remember your sharpening a chisel not a knife. Poplar imo is a softwood.
Raker distance should be around .025"- .035"

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A ton of research as been done to get the perfect angle and raker depths, every chain is always the same angle and raker height. I was so happy when they started putting those file lines on the chain. I used to just love it when several people used the same saw, hell you would be surprised how different each person would file it. You could not even hold it hard enough to cut a straight line. Some teeth even got filed straight across. It still cut though.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Gave the new Stihl a test run today.
Performed awesome.
Next weekend I'll do some real work and give her a good run.
Again, thanks to everyone for the advise.
3867da9f216ff2811a0bc9f06b7b3c32.jpg

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll cut, you haul the lumber

Last edited:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Walked into the new ASE in Sherwood Park last week. Was looking for a chainsaw and checking out the commercial Club Cadet mowers. Walked around showroom for 10 minutes(its small), looked at the few Stihl saws they had out, sat on and fully checked out the mower I was interested in. It was like I was invisible to the 4 employees in the room even in my high vis motorcycle jacket. Walked by a guy sitting at desk by door on way out, didn't even look up.

I know they are in a new location and busy setting up, but I will be spending my money somewhere else.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Walked into the new ASE in Sherwood Park last week. Was looking for a chainsaw and checking out the commercial Club Cadet mowers. Walked around showroom for 10 minutes(its small), looked at the few Stihl saws they had out, sat on and fully checked out the mower I was interested in. It was like I was invisible to the 4 employees in the room even in my high vis motorcycle jacket. Walked by a guy sitting at desk by door on way out, didn't even look up.

I know they are in a new location and busy setting up, but I will be spending my money somewhere else.

Josh at All Season Equipment.

Are they behind Costco now?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been drowning brain cells with brewhouse lately, usually a bit cheapet

Top Bottom