Cellular Booster

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
What do you guys use in order to get cell service in the McLean Creek, Burnt Timber area? I would like to get a booster so I can use my cell phone in emergencies but really know nothing about them. I was calling on GPS Central and they have a Wilson Booster Kit for 170.00 but I am not sure if that would be the right one. Any feedback would be great!!!!

Cheers!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a sure call but Wilson work just as good, there are well worth the money if you drive through lots of area with low cell service. They don't actually give you service where there is no service at all like some people think they do, if without a booster you have 1 bar then turn your booster on you will get up to 4 bars service usually. I paid 400$ for mine but well worth it as I drive through many places with low service for work.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the wilson booster as well works well but you need the larger 24-30" anntena with the spines coming out to get the best range they around 400.00

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
They don't actually give you service where there is no service at all like some people think they do.

If this is the case, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass I really am asking, how does it work for areas like McLean Creek or Burnt Timber? There is definitely no cell service until the camp store, at lease for me with the iPhone 6, but I take 911 calls all the time from people on quads way out in the bush and can hear them as clear as if they were in the city. I assumed they were using a booster....am I wrong???

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All a booster does it "boost" your signal so if you have no signal at all I don't know how it would boost your call. It may give you service if your very close to that 1 bar service with no booster on. There are lots of places I don't get service with my booster on. But they are worth getting imo.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will boost a signal....plain and simple. If there is NO SIGNAL...then there is nothing to boost...lol

Mine will usually add one or two bars vs regular cell phone reception but there are time where I have no signal even with the booster. Worth their money in my opinion also.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The boosters work well. Don't cheep out, get the good stuff. Makes a differance for sure, it's like having the old cells with the untenna....remember them days when they worked and came with 3 + watts. This is what the booster dose it amps to 3 watts AKA boosts.
sat phone is best in them crappy areas when you need to call out.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Booster will help in certain parts of the campground at Maclean Creek but not sure about Burn Timber I know it did help along the road in but I can not remember where.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a surecall and it is worth about 600 bucks and yes they work good, I use mine in my Rig in the bush and sure miss it when I don't got it!

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the money your spending on boosters why not invest in a good UHF/VHF radio? With the amount of repeaters around i have not come across a area in the mountains i cannot get communications. You can get the cables and software to program in all your local channels. I leave mine in the quad just pulled it out after a year and still had a full charge took 2 1/2 days of it scanning to kill the battery for a fresh charge

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
For the money your spending on boosters why not invest in a good UHF/VHF radio? With the amount of repeaters around i have not come across a area in the mountains i cannot get communications. You can get the cables and software to program in all your local channels. I leave mine in the quad just pulled it out after a year and still had a full charge took 2 1/2 days of it scanning to kill the battery for a fresh charge

So you use that to communicate with the Rangers only as opposed to being able to call someone via phone?

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rangers? i use it to communicate with anyone. I always lock it on the local logging chan for that road when going in. If need be i can always contact hwys or emergency services. I will grantee that even with a booster you will run into dead spots but with the amount of repeater systems i can always get radio. Iv been in spots where i can see the cell tower but still not get a signal on my phone but the radio was loud and clear

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a wilson mounted in my truck and love it, have been places with no signal and it works to get a low signal enough to make a call. The only thing i don't like is the cradle mine has gonna get the new antenna for inside that will boost the signal for everyone in the vehicle not just the phone in the cradle.

The worst part of the booster is camping in the bush and everyone wants to use your truck to make calls.

pizalm

Reaction score
As everyone else says you need some signal for it to work. I have a Wilson in my truck and it works awesome, in places where a 1 bar comes and goes you can make calls reliably. I couldn't go without one now. I also have the antenna that lets everyone in the vehicle use it but I find it doesn't work that well to makes calls unless it's right next to the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Gsp1700 globalstar is 500$ plans vary depending on what u want.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for a globalstar the phone is $500, they have a few offers where they throw the phone in for free when you commit to a contract. lowest cost is $780 for a plan with the free phone.

I won a sat phone last year at a trade show, cheapest yearly plan is $300/yr or you can do a pay and talk. globalstar phone worked fine every time I used it

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.....that give me a lot to think about!!! I was just hoping there was an easy solution to allow me to use my cell phone in McLean Creek not only for emergencies but to talk to the wife if I have to.

Top Bottom