Cattaract Creek.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we went over into fording on saturday, chest deep pow everywheres. all the tracks we made last weekend were totally covered and it was like breaking trail all the way in again, just with a bit of a base this time! to bad you didn't make it over, we left a bunch of fresh.

fullmont

Reaction score
Summit X- Did you have to ride over a lot of shale/rocks to get up to the pass? We were riding 200m sections of bare ground. Tough on the carbides and plastic skis.
Just wondering if this is common or if there was more wind than usual the last couple days.

tasco

Reaction score
Yup there was a bit of shale and rocks. It took Summit x a few minutes to figureout where the trail was and we had to back trak once. I had my GPS with me and will up load the track and waypoints I made during this ride. If you have a garmin gps you should be able to upload the track and way points into Map Source and then into your Garmin gps

I hope that this will help The track actually starts from longview, this is for those that can't find the Catarak and Etherington area

Attachments

• Fording Pass Trail.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 124

fullmont

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. guys. I don't have GPS yet, but will keep the file.
Next time we'll look for those marker pipes and find the POW.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shale and the top of the pass are always bare. The wind blows 24/7 up there. Its worth a little abuse for the payoff:woohoo1:

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
Yup there was a bit of shale and rocks. It took Summit x a few minutes to figureout where the trail was and we had to back trak once. I had my GPS with me and will up load the track and waypoints I made during this ride. If you have a garmin gps you should be able to upload the track and way points into Map Source and then into your Garmin gps

I hope that this will help The track actually starts from longview, this is for those that can't find the Catarak and Etherington area

Thanks for the track....I just upgrade my etrek to a Rino so this will be very helpful....I have never been over so I am hoping this track will do the trick.....

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys
If anyone goes out for a ride can you please give us an update of the snow conditions. I am hoping to head out on Saturday but I am getting a little worried with the warm temps forcasted for the next couple days.

Thanks

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey Guys
If anyone goes out for a ride can you please give us an update of the snow conditions. I am hoping to head out on Saturday but I am getting a little worried with the warm temps forcasted for the next couple days.

Thanks

A big group of us were out there yesturday. Trails have good snow on them. But there isnt much for snow anywhere else to play in. We still had a fun day out though.The grummer was unload at Cataract staging area last night......

Thanks Tasco for letting me ride with your group. Hope to ride again with ya. :beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:

tasco

Reaction score
But the groomer did'nt go down the trail system he took of east towards the Catarack campground probably doing some grooming in the logging area's.

We'll definatly do it again Calgarysledguy :ThumbsupMsn:

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update guys. Anyone heading out on Saturday for a ride? I am not sure yet if Taz_56 is going to be able to come along so I may be a lone wolf out there looking for some buddies to ride with. :(
Hopefully things will work out. This will be the first ride for me this year and I am starting to feel like I got cabin fever.

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone been out this week, we are coming down tomorrow to try and find our way over the Pass to BC, and were wondering what the conditions are like with this warm weather?

fullmont

Reaction score
According to the Kananaskis Country Trail Report, there hasn't been any snow since Jan 8. Conditions are listed as fair to good, with soft snow and ice because of the warm weather.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting out this weekend for a day ride in Cattaract ? ill even ride the trails all day long, i haven't been for long time and i used to go down EVERY trail by the end of the day when we used to go :D

Anyone else thinking about heading out ?

fullmont

Reaction score
The Kananaskis trail report is pretty accurate-it's updated thursday afternoon.
If they get some snow down there the trails will be good.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is still lots of snow on the bc side but you gotta ride a lot of bare trail to get there. Hope this snow amounts to somthing:dunno:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the pass was a bit bare on the way over, but i'd rather go over a couple rocks to find some meadows to play in 1 hr from home rather than driving all the way to golden (3hrs+ away), especially with all the avy risks at the moment. here a couple pics from last weekends ride.
with the plus teens in calgary, it certainly seemed a like day of spring riding in april and not mid January, but i still enjoyed it. the other 4 times i've been over the pass this year we've had anyways from 3-5ft of fresh.

Attachments

• P1180025.jpg
    P1180025.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 53
  • P1180032.jpg
    P1180032.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P1180034.jpg
    P1180034.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P1180035.jpg
    P1180035.jpg