Cataract to Elkford?

cedric

Reaction score
I've been up over Fording Pass to the BC side before, has anyone rode from there down the valley to Elkford, then gassed up and come back? Seems like it would be a good adventure, might need to carry a bit of fuel.

Hirmkin

Reaction score
I’ve ridden to the cabin in Elkford from Cataract side about 10 years ago.
Back then the trail was tough with the trees starting to over take the trail not sure if the trail would even be passable now.
I did it riding a Polaris 500 rmk and I remember some of the hills seemed to be huge, probably not so much now with the bigger sleds we ride now.
Just a word of caution the first side hill that you come across after you turn left at the tee can be tricky as this as being know to avalanche.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I’ve ridden to the cabin in Elkford from Cataract side about 10 years ago.
Back then the trail was tough with the trees starting to over take the trail not sure if the trail would even be passable now.
I did it riding a Polaris 500 rmk and I remember some of the hills seemed to be huge, probably not so much now with the bigger sleds we ride now.
Just a word of caution the first side hill that you come across after you turn left at the tee can be tricky as this as being know to avalanche.

I think that spot with the trees your talking about is just after that Avy area if im not mistaken???If it is Myself and Smokindave went that way last year and went all the way down to where it hit a creek or stream. Then we turned around as the sun was starting to go down.But yes there were lots of willows(trees)trail was tight and your hood will get scratched up pretty good if you care.Nothing a 10min power polisher wouldnt fix.I looked on google map and we still had a long way to go befor elkford.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is the way we went. We wernt trying to get to Elkford we were just ridding.Not sure if that was the right way to get there or not........

cataractfordingnew4.jpg

cataractfordingnew2.jpg

cataractfordingnew.jpg

cedric

Reaction score
This route looks promising, aside from the last 300m. Once you were in the clearcut, it should be easy from there. Should be...

Any of you guys been down this way?

Attachments

• elkford_route.jpg
    elkford_route.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 423

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been up over Fording Pass to the BC side before, has anyone rode from there down the valley to Elkford, then gassed up and come back? Seems like it would be a good adventure, might need to carry a bit of fuel.

From What I figure it's about a ~40km or so trip from the Summit of Fording Pass to Elkford. Thats assuming that the cutlines shown on Google Earth are passable. It would be quite an adventure!

Attachments

• Fording.jpg
    Fording.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 405

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The problem lies in the bowels of the logging companies. It the road is plowed into Elkford, no way as it is illegal to ride plowed logging roads in BC and the govt is looking for cash.

There is no doubt that part of the "east side" and all of the "west side" will be plowed this winter. I'm referring to the west and east side of the Elk River.

I'm trying to get some buddies on this side to go up and maybe open the trail a little more this winter.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The problem lies in the bowels of the logging companies. It the road is plowed into Elkford, no way as it is illegal to ride plowed logging roads in BC and the govt is looking for cash.

There is no doubt that part of the "east side" and all of the "west side" will be plowed this winter. I'm referring to the west and east side of the Elk River.

I'm trying to get some buddies on this side to go up and maybe open the trail a little more this winter.

Do you know what is the right way to get there?The way i have it marked on my map . Or the way Cedric has it marked?Have you ever come up threw that way?

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Im in!!:d

Hirmkin

Reaction score
Calgarysledguy your way is the right way. The other way I've been down that way as well and it wasn't passable maybe with enough snow it might be.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calgarysledguy your way is the right way. The other way I've been down that way as well and it wasn't passable maybe with enough snow it might be.

really?? i thought it would be cedric's way, looks to be a lot shorter!

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
really?? i thought it would be cedric's way, looks to be a lot shorter!

Cedrics way looks shorter for sure. But looks like it goes threw cut blocks and then into the mine.Or right beside it.It might be slower going that way.The other way looks like you hit a road or major trail......long and straight.

I have no idea. What ever way it is. I think it would be a long a@S ride there and back......

fording6new.jpg

cedric

Reaction score
The way I posted is shorter, but you might run into trespass issues around the mine when you follow that logging road down. And that 300m section could really be a deal breaker. Things look easy till you get there. That's why I thought I'd ask on here before I plan to take this on.

I'm always up for an adventure.

I've never been to Elkford, is it feasible to roll into town on your sled and buy a tank of gas and then go back, or maybe stay the night and go back the next day?

Hirmkin

Reaction score
The blue way you end up on a power line right away once you start to head south. We crossed the power lines headed west into the Elkford trail system and ended up at a cabin, then we turned around and headed back yes it's a long ride The red way you can go a few miles into some very small riding areas. I can't remember why it's not passable I think it gets to narrow or maybe it's because we were all riding 500's. I haven't been there with my 800

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Cedrics way looks shorter for sure. But looks like it goes threw cut blocks and then into the mine.Or right beside it.It might be slower going that way.The other way looks like you hit a road or major trail......long and straight.

I have no idea. What ever way it is. I think it would be a long a@S ride there and back......

fording6new.jpg

The blue way is the correct way. You come out using Aldridge Creek and arrive at the power line.

Tembec is logging on the east side and the road will be plowed to the sub-station (Britt Creek).....end of trip! You are 26 kms from gas, a warm bed, and Elkford.

Yes it is just sort of across from the Elkford cabin but the road on the west side is plowed.

I can meet anyone at the Britt Creek substation with gas for $60/23liters of regular.....hahaha

Hirmkin

Reaction score
Ferniesnow, do you have the technology to point out where the cabin is and post it?

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
go here

click on link

this will take you to their website -->Elkford Trails
look for the heading GOOGLE EARTH
click on that link
it will upload a .KMZ file which will upload POI's and TRAILS
that someone in their club took the time to create
I found it very useful
There is also a map(PDF) and lots of info to chew on
enjoy