Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

RoughNecksRam403

Reaction score
Is there anyone going out there friday or saturday or sunday that wouldnt mind a beginner tagging along?

ill be picking up all the basic safety gear on thursday. Id absolutely love to get out with someone or a group. I really want to learn and get out and ride!

Hirmkin

Reaction score
We rode Cataract Monday and we had any where's from 4” to 8” of snow on all the trails.

Today we went again and had another 8” to 12” of new snow.
Two days of fresh snow on all the trails ;)
Some of the better trails were Fallers, Oyster Excursion, Pasque Trail and Wilkinson trail
The boy has never riding in snow this deep before, he soon learned that he needed to be the boss of it.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 190

Charette_Syndrome

Reaction score
Yes we were also out today... It was a stuck fest just tryin to get into where we wanted to go!!! Worth it when we finally shovelled and boot packed some serious trails just to get in!!! Forgot SD card at home!!! Grrrrr epic day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fshog

Reaction score
Is there anyone going out there friday or saturday or sunday that wouldnt mind a beginner tagging along?

ill be picking up all the basic safety gear on thursday. Id absolutely love to get out with someone or a group. I really want to learn and get out and ride!

I may be heading out Saturday or Sunday, was out last weekend and was decent riding.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode Cataract Monday and we had any where's from 4” to 8” of snow on all the trails.

Today we went again and had another 8” to 12” of new snow.
Two days of fresh snow on all the trails ;)
Some of the better trails were Fallers, Oyster Excursion, Pasque Trail and Wilkinson trail
The boy has never riding in snow this deep before, he soon learned that he needed to be the boss of it.

are the trails you speak of clearly marked? Are those pictures of a trail?

looks awesome, I'm hoping to head out there for the first time this weekend.

is it safe to leave gas cans and ramps in truck box or is there a lot of theft out there?

Last edited:

Hirmkin

Reaction score
Yes those trails are marked just follow the maps posted along the trails.
The first one is Fallers trail and the next two are of Oyster ExcursionTrail
I always lock mystuff, I think on a weekend it could be a little safer as there’s alwaysseems to be some families enjoying themselves in the Cataract cook shack which is right at the parking lot.

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone else have any pictures and does anyone know what the weather is suppose to be like this weekend?

TryHonesty

Reaction score
Man I really want to get up to Fording!! Sounds like the whole area has some decent snow. Smooth out the trails for everyone, awesome! No rooster tails people, keep the trails nice! :D

Charette_Syndrome

Reaction score
Ya well don't drive into the ditches right b4 the parking lot... Pulled not one, but 2 trucks outa the ditch today!!! Priceless!

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the weather is suppose to be like this weekend?

is the weather in Longview typically the weather at Cataract?

Hirmkin

Reaction score
I use Nakiska for my weather guide

Saturday
Scattered flurries
High -9 °C
Low -17 °C
P.O.P. 60%

Sunday
Variable cloudiness
High -17 °C
Low -26 °C
P.O.P. 40%

Charette_Syndrome

Reaction score
Honestly the weather over their can be blue sky at the lot, and snowin blindly 2 kms away, or vise versa... Seeing as ur on the internet, check places NSEW to build a picture of what it could be... This is Alberta man, weather changes by the hr...

Charette_Syndrome

Reaction score
At the parking lot there is one... To bad it's so far away from the good snow, and the trails close to the shack are WHOOPED... I just use the shack as a place to eat something warm if fires goin, while my truck is warmin up...

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that map a few pages back still a good reference?

Last edited:

fshog

Reaction score
As others have stated, the weather can change dramatically when on the trails. We were out last weekend at the south end of the trails and it was almost a complete white out. By the time we got almost back to the staging area, the sun was shinning! You can disorientated out there as sometimes the sun is behind the clouds and it's difficult to know North/South, but trails are well marked at intersections and if it's the first time out, stay on where you see lots of tracks as sooner or later this will bring you to a trail sign. Just sled smart!!

Top Bottom