Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really only started snowing this morning, wasn't much fresh when we got there. We had a short day and were out by lunch, but our track were already covered. You could see the snow sluffing off of the rocks already it was coming down so hard and was so windy.

Oh, and I found some stuff on the trail, like sombodies bag was open. I left it (one mit, a couple straps, a ziplock with survival gear in it, and a snobungie) at the big sign by gates in the parking lot. Hope whoever lost it got it back!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Summit X.

One of the riders in our group accidentally left his tunnel bag open and lost everything in his bag. We found most of his stuff back at the trail head, but someone must have helped themselves to the snowbungie as it was not there.

Thanks for returning everything you found. I was greatly appreciated.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets hope the person(s) that took the snowbungie frequents this page and will be courteous enough to post and return it to it's owner.They are not cheap and I use mine often.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Summit X.

One of the riders in our group accidentally left his tunnel bag open and lost everything in his bag. We found most of his stuff back at the trail head, but someone must have helped themselves to the snowbungie as it was not there.

Thanks for returning everything you found. I was greatly appreciated.

No worries!! Pretty crappy about the snobungie. I thought everyone who rode out there was part of a pretty small circle and thought it would be safe. Sorry to hear it was gone. By chance did it fall and get buried where I left it? I'm sure you guys kicked the snow around a bit just in case some something had fallen from where the other stuff was?? Hopefully he still had one mitt in his bag too, thought it was strange that I only found one!!

Reaction score
I think he gave it a pretty good look, but I am not totally sure. Its possible it fell down and just got buried. Let's hope that's what happened and not a case of equipment looting. He found one glove on the way back to match the one that you left behind, but the thing that pissed him off the most was he lost his thermos with his lunch in it. He said he could have used that on the other side of the divide as it was pretty nasty over there as you know. It was pretty much zero vis when we got out of there and rode bumper to bumper the whole way out.

Titan

Reaction score
A few shots from yesterday
29019_10151266569352251_249113157_n.jpg 72425_10151266569467251_1567899403_n.jpg 426419_10151266566752251_518709215_n.jpg 540951_10151266569597251_1774701193_n.jpg

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like a good time. Hope all is well.
Is there anyone who can elaborate on this situation.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering the same thing.Hope someone can post what happened and if they are alright.

katealim

Reaction score
They are fine. They were equiped to spend several nights out there but were unable to recover their sleds after being diverted from their original course due to avalanches in the area. Alpine air lifted them out of a 60ft. ravine after they set of flares to notify of their position. A Delorme Inreach system was used to send their coordinates to searchers. They were able to establish shelter and a fire overnight and used jerry cans and first aid kits to help them crawl/float over the snow without sinking in to a clearing where they could be evacuated. Dressed for the weather they have no signs of hypothermia, frost bite, etc... and are already eager to replace their sleds and hit the mountain again soon! Will post pics as soon as I can.

Last edited:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Glad to here they are fine and eager to get back at it. Where did this happen? I know it said buy Mt Bolten. Are the Sleds a write off or still out there? Im sure we could get a group together to get them out if there still there.

katealim

Reaction score
Glad to here they are fine and eager to get back at it. Where did this happen? I know it said buy Mt Bolten. Are the Sleds a write off or still out there? Im sure we could get a group together to get them out if there still there.

They are still out there and they are rideable, (after much digging out) but not reachable. If anyone knows of a helicopter company that does sled recovery that's the only way they're getting out of there. Let me know if you've heard of a company. The RCMP mentioned that there was one based out of Golden but didn't catch the name.

Last edited:

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The chopper outta fernie is likely closer... Are you sure they are not retrievable??? There are some pretty good riders/people on here that would likely be up for the challenge... Pics would help!!!

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is unretrievable any other way, you might want to call Spray Lakes Saw Mills and find out who they would recommend for helicopter services, or the helocopter base in Canmore.

katealim

Reaction score
The chopper outta fernie is likely closer... Are you sure they are not retrievable??? There are some pretty good riders/people on here that would likely be up for the challenge... Pics would help!!!

I'll ask the hubby when he wakes up, (he's still kinda recovering from lack of sleep) and see what he thinks. I know he'd love, love, his sled back but pretty sure it's stuck there. He does have the cordinates as to where it is and we are able to see on the delorme exactly where it is sitting.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Helicopter in fernie is bighorn. Likely one in crowsnest pass too. Just not sure if they can all long line or not. That will be pricey. Hope you can round some troopers up and go get them. Don't wanna leave them there.. That's for sure!! Keep us posted!!

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am glad to hear they are ok.
Choppers are gonna be really pricey out there. You can do quite a bit with some snow shoes and a chainsaw winch.

katealim

Reaction score
Helicopter in fernie is bighorn. Likely one in crowsnest pass too. Just not sure if they can all long line or not. That will be pricey. Hope you can round some troopers up and go get them. Don't wanna leave them there.. That's for sure!! Keep us posted!!

Will be making calls Monday to see what we can do and will keep you all posted. Definately un-retrievable any other way as they are at the bottom of a gorge with 60ft. rock walls up either side. Can't go back up the way they got in, (up river and over small waterfalls) and the gorge runs nw funneling to a river, (so not getting them out that way either). The only reason they made it in there in the first place was to avoid avalanches occuring in one of the bowls. There was no bill for the air rescue and the insurance company will replace the sleds in this case but damn it...we love THOSE sleds! Hoping the insurance company will cover the cost of recovering them if it's cheaper than replacing them.
\

Last edited:
Top Bottom