Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
need more snow! lol.....the Elkford guys are saying lots of snow in their neck of the woods.....that means Fording must be primed and ready for sleds.... :)..... we just can't get there.....

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this next system pans out it might be ready. Wait and see I guess. Everybody put your dancin shoes on!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
need more snow! lol.....the Elkford guys are saying lots of snow in their neck of the woods.....that means Fording must be primed and ready for sleds.... :)..... we just can't get there.....

The east side (Fording) doesn't get the snow the west side of the Elk Valley gets and that is where we were riding. Also the wind does a pretty good job of clearing out Fording and depositing on your side. The best snow on the east side is in Alexander.

M5-

Reaction score
So we went out to Cataract yesterday to test out a couple of snow bikes. Down low the snow is basically non existent and up at 6900' feet on the Etherington trail there was about 18" up there. It needs more but if you are desperate to test something I'd say head towards the south end and stay high.

M5

snowdragons

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the early season postings on how it is out there!!! We defently have the bug set in for sure! but does any one know if there will be grooming this year out there or has it been pushed under the rug again by the governement?? either way its goign to be a fun season!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is this area officially open now? For some reason I thought it didn't open until December 1st?

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So ya right on...
Anyone heading out this weekend?
I'm heading to Golden tomo and Friday, if I don't wreck anything I might try a little sneak peek on Sunday.

unkle dirrt

Reaction score
Going out on Saturday. Gonna head south from cataract and hunt around for some snow a bit higher maybe by skyline. I know conditions are marginal so maybe I'll clear some fallen trees and get my boondocker tuned at least. I'll let u guys know where the snow is that is if there is any lol

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lets not go down this road again, or if it needs to be done, lets do it in another thread so we don't pollute this one.

Not picking side here but he has a valid question. If this area is closed till December 1 and there is riding going on now this will have a negative effect on the future of this area. I have been involved with many government access plans and they are looking and watching. You would be best to support the timelines and after December 1 post your snow findings. Please we are all iching to get out and try our sleds but sometimes our excitment gets us in trouble.
The Calgary Club uses the area but they need to step up and better manage the area.JMHO The Government has no internal drive to look after this area any longer because K-Country sking trails are #1 to them and always will be. After they scraped the last groomer that serviced this area they have done no more grooming. This I have heard from a Calgary club member.
Thanks

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ooops so it is open Dec 1st. Officially open this Saturday

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK this bothered me so I Facebooked a buddy of mine who works in the forestry office in Calgary.....

His responce.... " There is no opening date,if there's snow its open. The gate is the only thing thats closes December 1st. So I would not worry."

The gate he is referring to is I believe the main road gate at the Cataract parking lot.

So in the future if you get busted you can "politely" say we checked into this and the info we got out of your office was the above statement.

Next time I'm in the area I'll look for posted signs, just to cover our butts.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so we are going down this road again.....

First of all, your snowmobile conditions report says it is not open for the 2011/2012 season until Dec. 1st, so it is a whole year out of date. Likley these things don't change from year to year, however everytime i have been out there and the conservation officier see us, he checks out our paper work and then asks how our day was. Never once have we had any issues with them. As long as there is snow, it is open. When the gate is open, it is open.

It is open.

Top Bottom