Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

Titan

Reaction score
Never having been out here, does anyone have any directions? I think I can figure it out but would be nice to be put in the right direction.
Myself and a Buddy are heading out tomorrow morning to burn some gas through these machines we picked up that have been sitting for at least 5 years.

If anyone is out there come by and say hi...we'll be driving a Silver Dodge 3500 4x4 pulling a small utility trailer.
sleds are a 2001 600 RMK and a 2000 550 RMK.
We'll be the two guys smiling alot looking like we have no clue what we're doing

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head to Longview, west on hwy 40, go down til about the closure, turn left on hwy 940. Parking lot is a few km in on 940. Sorry these aren't more specific, but it's fairly straight forward.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning on going next weekend? Have a trip to Revy planned for the following week and would like to break in the sled before heading to the deep pow

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you cant screw it up. Go till the gate across hwy 40 you have no option but to turn left. Follow and you will see the Etherington sign first on the right. You can play in that area or continue on to Cataract. The sled trails join both parking lots. The road dead ends (another gate) at the cataract parking lot.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning on going next weekend? Have a trip to Revy planned for the following week and would like to break in the sled before heading to the deep pow

When are you heading to Revi? I was thinking of heading that way as well, if you were looking for someone to join you.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the gates are closed yet. Dec.1st I think. Watch out for cattle and mountain sheep on hyw.40 in the kaninaskis boundry. Let us know how the snow is:beer:

bennito

Reaction score
I'm in Denver until afternoon of the 3rd, so I may stick with Cataract until the week after, hoping to head to Golden or Revy. Let us know how the snow is in Cataract, and if Fording is passable.
I head out there all the time! I got buddies in revy and the shwap I run a snow removal biz in calgary and if it's not snow here i try to ride, Always looking for peeps to ride with so if your ever looking for someone to go with send me a pm.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I head out there all the time! I got buddies in revy and the shwap I run a snow removal biz in calgary and if it's not snow here i try to ride, Always looking for peeps to ride with so if your ever looking for someone to go with send me a pm.

Cheers, Thanks. Will do for sure, since most of my riding buddies have to work that Monday-Friday thing.

toyz

Reaction score
I was there also. down low there was not much as Titan says. We braved damage and went back toward the pass, we made it to the first creek crossing. I was not brave enought to try to cross it. The water was about a 1" deep and 10 feet across. There was about 8" of snow there though. I will not go back until there is alot more snow. Gotta go to revy I guess.

Titan

Reaction score
I was there also. down low there was not much as Titan says. We braved damage and went back toward the pass, we made it to the first creek crossing. I was not brave enought to try to cross it. The water was about a 1" deep and 10 feet across. There was about 8" of snow there though. I will not go back until there is alot more snow. Gotta go to revy I guess.

we didn't even unload....we did do a tiny bit of ripping around further south right where the road splits to Nanton or Colman on a suncor lease....
I will also not go back until there is at least one or two more good solid dumps..

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That would be the first of 4 creeks. If that one is open, it is for sure the other 3 will be open too. All 4 were still open when we went out a couple weeks ago too. I would love to know what is on the other side, but it looks like it may need to wait another week yet...

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there today too. As mentioned a huge waste of time. Seemed like there was more snow on the roads than in the trails.

Needs a lot more

Top Bottom