Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails offical thread 2016/17

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my sled. Tha is also apparently not a part of the trail system. Had we noticed the "Y" we should have gone right. Going right is basically doing a "U" around this creek crossing. there is a massive drop off at the creek, as I was heading down I noticed that this isn't good but at this point it was too late. I pinned the throttle, leaned back to try and get the front end up as much as possible. I was able to get my sled up enough that I didn't nose dive into the bank, but not up enough to have this not happen

image.jpeg

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This picture is me standing looking north. also where I'm standing is another "Y" intersection. If you went to my left in this picture you would come out at the other "Y" intersection I mentioned before
image.jpeg

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled started when it was on the edge of the creek bed but the Rpms would drop out and it would die. Fire it back up, same thing. I thought maybe it was flooded as it was on a pretty bad angle. A little bit of gas was leaking, I assumed it was coming out the vent due to the angle. Slamaha and I get my sled dug out and pointed in the right direction. I push the start button and nothing, it's trying to start but no start. Push start a few more time and nothing. Figured for sure it was flooded.

Waited awhile to try again and same thing, no start. Pulled the plugs, seemed good, hooked plug back up with plug in hand to see if I had a good spark, yep good spark. Put everything back together and tried to start until the battery went dead.

At at this point it's getting late and we decide to head out.

so two of us on one sled for the long ride out. We obivously took the "U" this time lol, it was only maybe 1 to 2 km to get back to where the logging road cut across the trail. We rode the logging road the entire way to the where it is gated at hiway 940, roughly 20km in total.

we get to the gate and run into a group of sledders. GLEN THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN LOL. This guy in a vehicle is driving towards the gate, off the 940, honking his horn. He stops and gets out and and does a slow run up to us. A couple of the guys in the group we ran into went to talk to this guy. We figured something was wrong or maybe he was looking for someone who was lost. Turns out it was Glen and being the nice guy he is he was warning us that bridges are out on Valley Bottom trail and not to go there.

so anyways, these guys we met want to go back help get my sled out. Great guys, they said us sledders stick together and we will not let your sled have a sleep over. Soooooo here we go, 20km on the back of Slamahas sled again. We get to my sled, they said holy $&@ we ain't pulling that out, a few laughs were had and we decide to head back, it's getting late, around 5 o'clock. Sooooooo another 20km on the back of Slamahas sled to the gate and the another 7km or so from the gate back to Etherington.

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
S now it's today. The fog from Drumheller to a little south of Strathmore was beyond pea soup thick and the hiway 541 west of Longview was like a skating rink.

we staged at Cataract, rode back up to my sled on the back of his sled. At this point in time I am sick and &$@ing tired of riding on the back of a one seater sled lol.

get to my sled and dump 15L of gas into it. Try and start and nothing happens again. When I tried to start this time gas starts leaking again. Chris starts digging around looking for fuel lines hoping maybe a line just popped off. NOPE no line off, the take off connector on the front of the tank is broken. every time I would push start it would pump finely but just spray it all over. This isn't something that is being fixed on the mountain. So after much much digging and many tugs with his sled we were finally able to get my sled up and up onto the real trail system.

We we get all the back to Cat Creek staging and I run into the group of guys I ran into yesterday. They were absolutely amazed that two of us got my sled. Had a few laughs, loaded up and now I'm home.

The pictures don't do justice as to how steep and deep that creek crossing was not do they show just how deep the snow was and the distance Chris and had to dig/pack snow to get my sled up to decent ground.

I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN TOMORROW!!!! Helluva time!!

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the group I met post here but thanks again for taking time out of your ride to help a complete stranger. Even though we accomplished nothing I greatly appreciate you guys wanting to help. The world needs more sledders!

Glen and Kaz,

just a fyi, there were a few us that made multiple runs up and down that logging road. We did talk to a few guys in pick up trucks on the road and we explained what we were doing and that we normally do not travel your road to get from point A to B. They were understanding. Just want to give you two guys a heads up in case someone else so us and reported us. I don't want you guys getting in sh1t.

im not sure if either of you know where on the trail my sled died but signage is needed at those "Ys" so someone else does not make the same mistake, it's a nasty creek crossing. Next time out I'm out I'll contact you guys, if don't have signs I'll gran a left hand and right hand turn sign from a hardware store and nail them to a tree

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if the group I met post here but thanks again for taking time out of your ride to help a complete stranger. Even though we accomplished nothing I greatly appreciate you guys wanting to help. The world needs more sledders!

Glen and Kaz,

just a fyi, there were a few us that made multiple runs up and down that logging road. We did talk to a few guys in pick up trucks on the road and we explained what we were doing and that we normally do not travel your road to get from point A to B. They were understanding. Just want to give you two guys a heads up in case someone else so us and reported us. I don't want you guys getting in sh1t.

im not sure if either of you know where on the trail my sled died but signage is needed at those "Ys" so someone else does not make the same mistake, it's a nasty creek crossing. Next time out I'm out I'll contact you guys, if don't have signs I'll gran a left hand and right hand turn sign from a hardware store and nail them to a tree

I know the spot for sure. Last year we put up cautions signs and this summer we rerouted the trail around. Signage is on the list to do on that section of trail. Was wondering how far loggers were going down that trail and it will get signed. I guess you were not puttering down the trail as it does have caution signs and a log to go around and a hole and creek is visible. Government has to come inspect that erosion cut before we can fix it. Good work.
That would of been a hard pull out. I think I need his sled to pull the little drags around. Sounds like it could.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK guys I'm off to Lethbridge to fight for our right to ride and might be back MONDAY or TUESDAY with the bigger ALL TRACK groomer. I know trails are ugly from the staging areas and I cant do much right now. Both sleds are in need of repair again now. Skag bent off to one side on one and electrical issue still on another.
We will get this snow smoothed out and try to get it all set to go again. Lots of our volunteers all heading out on winter holidays as well. We will try to get as much done as we can.

We need a big groomer. ALL TRACK or something else. That's our next mission for the area. We all need your help. Little steps guys. Big investment with a big responsibility with it. Give us some time. We are trying and 2-3 feet of snow sometimes gets in our way to get you better trails. We are all volunteers and give our all best we can. Just Saying!!

Thanks I hope you all understand.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the spot for sure. Last year we put up cautions signs and this summer we rerouted the trail around. Signage is on the list to do on that section of trail. Was wondering how far loggers were going down that trail and it will get signed. I guess you were not puttering down the trail as it does have caution signs and a log to go around and a hole and creek is visible. Government has to come inspect that erosion cut before we can fix it. Good work.
That would of been a hard pull out. I think I need his sled to pull the little drags around. Sounds like it could.

if we are talking about the same spot then are you talking about the log in the picture above(last picture I posted)? If so that log is on the south side of the creek. If a person was heading north on the trail then you would see the caution signs and then come up to the log before you hit the creek. We saw no visible signs heading south towards that creek.

For the record, the creek is not visible, there is that much snow filling it up.
Also for the record, there is no such thing as puttering when the snow is dam near windshield deep lol

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK I'm ready. How bad was it there today? Did you still find good snow? What happened today??? How many riders?? Staging areas packed??

Last edited:

signedge

Reaction score
It was awesome. Cataract lot had 20-30 units. Snow in some places was super deep. Lots of stuck moments. Overall great day

John8

Reaction score
I was out there with a buddy for the first time. That area is amazing. There was a ton of snow and we had a blast. We got stuck a few times but that's how you know you had a good time.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Always nice to get riders out there and also to meet some of those riders. The other day we meet a few out there. Just a note riders. We need to respect this area or it could come under the eyes of the wrong people. This area is seeing larger numbers than what the CSC can handle right now. To help please stay on designated trais in the approved areas. In the future we are looking to have better maintenence and will be needing your support. Enjoy the area and together we will keep it going.

zcool

Reaction score
Sorry didn't post conditions after ride, daughter got hurt, she hit a rock just on the side of the trail. Be aware just because it seems that there is lots of snow, there will be some hidden gems under the snow and its bottomless. We had a great ride until then and the snow was great, but was tracked out by the time we got back. Happy Sledding!!!
Zcool

Plattler

Reaction score
Had a great day on Saturday. Yes, the trails were rough, but we found some deep stuff going down Cummings.

Attachments

• IMGP5240.JPG
    IMGP5240.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMGP5175.jpg
    IMGP5175.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMGP5155.jpg
    IMGP5155.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 202

Cal_Doo

Reaction score
Sunday was good too. Trails are a bit pounded out, but soft stuff was still found on edges of trails. Conservation Officers out in full force on Sunday.

Reaction score
It was a pretty amazing weekend for sure.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 159
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 163
  • FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_9047.jpg
    IMG_9047.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_9064.jpg
    IMG_9064.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Kokanee9

Reaction score
Thanks for the invite.

I did manage to make it out there that day and parked at cataract creek area. I didn't see your posts until that morning and by then it was a bit too late to meet at the parking lot. Somewhere you had put down the time you planned on being there and it was 45 min after I was reading the posts.

Top Bottom