Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails offical thread 2016/17

cammont

Reaction score
We are thinking of heading to Cataract Creek at the end of the month. We have never been there before. Thank you for the map! Would you be able to recommend hotel accommodations for around there. I checked Longview but it seems to be about 1hr 45 mins away. Is there any where else closer to stay?

As others have posted, Cataract Creek is likely closer than the maps maybe tell you. From the south side of Calgary it is only about 90 minutes (roads & weather pending).

Something to be aware of though on the Forestry Trunk Road is that they are very active with logging right now. A lot of trucks in and out of there. That road is a good road, but a logging truck can surprise you on one of the many curves down to the staging area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
wiener water soup .... is usually the day after ... if thats all you guys forgot for all the work that was done you guys did pretty damn good

We try hard to not let anyone see our mistakes. Some are hard to hide like no condiments.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any info looking at taking the GF out for her first Ride tomorrow to Cataract and wondering how wooped up the trails will be after the rally i read through someone said Baril Loop would be best? i have never rode this area so not to sure what to expect. Any info would be great. I just don't want her first trip being her last lol

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This hot dog stop Tyler would not even come close to my Snow and Mud campout standards. I may have to school Scott on how to lay out a mid trail lunch
Yah, yah, yah,.........whatever........LOL!

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of heading to Cataract Creek at the end of the month. We have never been there before. Thank you for the map! Would you be able to recommend hotel accommodations for around there. I checked Longview but it seems to be about 1hr 45 mins away. Is there any where else closer to stay?
Two hotels in Longview, which is only 45 minutes away, and closest. Recommend not to stay in the Longview Hotel - unless you are up for a party - as the bar and band can keep you up on a weekend night, if you get a room over the bar. Next is Black Diamond or High River, and High River has a great choice of hotels/motels. High River is just over 1 hour away, Black Diamond is just under 1 hour away. Next would be Okotoks, at 1 hour, 15 minutes away, approximately.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any info looking at taking the GF out for her first Ride tomorrow to Cataract and wondering how wooped up the trails will be after the rally i read through someone said Baril Loop would be best? i have never rode this area so not to sure what to expect. Any info would be great. I just don't want her first trip being her last lol

Hi. To be gentle on your girlfriend I would go to Cataract Creek staging area and head south from there. The south trails will be better condition as they were snowcat groomed before. Baril trail is probally one of the most used trails out there. This trail leads riders to a area not recommended for riders starting out. Go slow and don't push her to much and she will enjoy it more. go on Alberta Parks website on download and print the map. I have written trail names on some red trail signs to help riders know what trail they are on. Its a start of our plan to designate and mark the names on all trails in the future. Good luck. Go slow and pace yourself and don't push her and she should enjoy her ride.
That kind of sounds way to personal me telling you how to ride out nthere nwith your ggirlfriend

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I came out of the Poker Run on Cummings Trails, and it was "whooped up" pretty good. I will be honest with you here, most of the trails are beat up pretty bad after the poker run. If this is her first ride, and you are committed to Cataract, go very slow.

With this warm weather, we will not be grooming at this time - it is how we broke one of snowmobile drags last year, and we do not have access to the All-Tracks unit and drag yet this season. The All-Tracks unit would be great, as it is heavy, and can cut and pack the snow better, and operate way better in these warm, slushy condition.

So I recommend waiting to go to Cataract if you can, for a first ride, as the trails are not in great shape after all the activity of this past weekend.

cammont

Reaction score
I came out of the Poker Run on Cummings Trails, and it was "whooped up" pretty good. I will be honest with you here, most of the trails are beat up pretty bad after the poker run. If this is her first ride, and you are committed to Cataract, go very slow.

With this warm weather, we will not be grooming at this time - it is how we broke one of snowmobile drags last year, and we do not have access to the All-Tracks unit and drag yet this season. The All-Tracks unit would be great, as it is heavy, and can cut and pack the snow better, and operate way better in these warm, slushy condition.

So I recommend waiting to go to Cataract if you can, for a first ride, as the trails are not in great shape after all the activity of this past weekend.

And I was one of the last riders in on Sunday after the poker run. Cataract trail is also a bit rough in places. As mentioned above, go slow, but that can make it tough for her to get a feel for the machine in how it handles and throttles.

Good luck.

If you are willing to wait it out for some fresh snow, Scott (Kaz Dog) and/or I would be willing to meet you out there and possibly be able to take you on a tour and show you the spots and sights if you aren't familiar with the area.

TTRC

Reaction score
There was a place called the Highwood River Inn, only 15 min. from the staging areas.
Had 9 rooms, meals avail.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi. To be gentle on your girlfriend I would go to Cataract Creek staging area and head south from there. The south trails will be better condition as they were snowcat groomed before. Baril trail is probally one of the most used trails out there. This trail leads riders to a area not recommended for riders starting out. Go slow and don't push her to much and she will enjoy it more. go on Alberta Parks website on download and print the map. I have written trail names on some red trail signs to help riders know what trail they are on. Its a start of our plan to designate and mark the names on all trails in the future. Good luck. Go slow and pace yourself and don't push her and she should enjoy her ride.
That kind of sounds way to personal me telling you how to ride out nthere nwith your ggirlfriend

Thanks for the tips Glen and everyone else i did print off trial maps last night we are going to attempt it today. Ill report back later and let you know how we make out.

tucker_98

Reaction score
Anyone been out since the warm weather hit to give an update on how the trails are holding up?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went out today to gather up all the poker run signs and posts. Snow still all there. Had some wind out there but no real melting./ Drifting up on skyline as usual. be cautious. Trails are still a bit beat up. I will be scratching them up next week. Family thing this week so I stayed home till today.
Go slow and enjoy the area maybe the bumps will feel less.
Cross your fingers and do the groomer dance. Maybe the All Track groomer will show up.
Thanks enjoy

GrumpyGuy

Reaction score
I meant to post these pictures a while ago, but never had the time. My ex-step-daughter and I went out Christmas day and we had the entire place to ourselves. It was awesome. It was also the first time I had ever staged at Cataract, as opposed to Etherington. With no one being there, there were no tracks, and I really didn't know where to go initially. It was a great day, with perfect weather and all fresh snow everywhere we went. We then went back out New Years day. The weather wasn't as nice and the roads were horrible going in, but we had a great time again. The roads had been plowed before we left and driving out was much better.

GrumpyGuy

Reaction score
Apparently I can't upload pictures? hmmmm Resized them all now.

IMG_20161225_1321036.jpg IMG_20161225_1337559.jpg IMG_20161225_1338088.jpg IMG_20161225_1509207.jpg

Does anyone recognize the view in the first picture? Could they tell me the name of that trail?

Last edited:

GrumpyGuy

Reaction score
I missed the club ride and poker rally, but from what I've read above, it sounds like it was a great time. I usually go out there to avoid people, but I'll have to try it out one day. Someone mentioned the Atlas ride coming up, but I can't seem to find any details. I've never ridden there. I recently got divorced and now I have two sleds and I'm only one rider, does anyone have room for an extra rider that might be going down to the Atlas ride?

cammont

Reaction score
I missed the club ride and poker rally, but from what I've read above, it sounds like it was a great time. I usually go out there to avoid people, but I'll have to try it out one day. Someone mentioned the Atlas ride coming up, but I can't seem to find any details. I've never ridden there. I recently got divorced and now I have two sleds and I'm only one rider, does anyone have room for an extra rider that might be going down to the Atlas ride?

I'm not headed down myself for this one, but there will be a few riders headed out.

If you're on Facebook, the Crow Snow Riders and the Calgary Snowmobile Club both have full details posted on their profiles.

Top Bottom