Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grooming Report - Saturday, December 5, 2015

The work consisted of smoothing out the accumulated and driven on snow. The drags used do not have "true" cutting blades, but I was able to see and feel a couple of snow "bumps" - which I suspect were left from people "peeling out" with their mountain sled tracks on the trail - get "cut" down. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS - SPINNING YOUR TRACK ON THE TRAILS - PLEASE. This action causes those "snow bumps" to harden on the trail and makes it less enjoyable for those who follow you......not preaching, just asking.

If I can ask one thing it would be for the riders to spread out across the trail a bit more. we groom the trail as wide as we can and would appreciate if riders can use the width best they could. Many riders are following in a row down the middle and the trail is starting to pound out a bit. Please spread out a bit across the trail so wear is evened out across the trail.

Excellent points from a groomers point of view. If people would heed this advice it makes the trails much more enjoyable for all.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not think I have ever peeled-out on a trail... but it really has never occurred to me so I am glad you mentioned it. I will point it out to everyone in my family. I like this kind of info. You also mentioned earlier (or someone did) about not riding "single file" and to spread out ... that was also counter-intuitive to me, as I'd instinctively stick to the right. Any other etiquette type tips? I don't want to be "that guy" lol.

I am also a "travel on the right side" type of guy, but many - I find when going fast - seem to drift to/travel down the middle of the trail only. This action "pounds out" the middle of the trail. With the proper grooming equipment -used enough times - we can work this out, but currently we "have what we have, and can not groom enough" to counter this without getting more and more snow. If everyone "tries a little", it will go a long way.

Reaction score
I am also a "travel on the right side" type of guy, but many - I find when going fast - seem to drift to/travel down the middle of the trail only. This action "pounds out" the middle of the trail. With the proper grooming equipment -used enough times - we can work this out, but currently we "have what we have, and can not groom enough" to counter this without getting more and more snow. If everyone "tries a little", it will go a long way.

I mostly stick right when going over hills and then I suppose I do tend to "center it up" on long straight awlays. I actually thought the opposite and tried to stay in other tracks to have the least impact. I thought someone might give me **** if going left or right of the "main" trail. Glad to be corrected, and it makes sense.

Reaction score
What about hills? For example, when Etherington was moved back closer to the road (year before last I think), there were a couple little hills on either side of the trail. More like "berms". Provided we aren't running over tress and the obvious, is that okay to ride on? I do... never know if I am supposed to. lol...

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess when I was thinking about spreading out in mean stay to your side (right) but spread out across from the middle to the right of middle. When going over hills stay right and always watch for 2 way traffic. Slow for corners and always try to look ahead for oncoming traffic. I have experienced close calls coming around a corner on my side of the trail but another rider is cutting the corner sharp and we get to see one another up close.:eek::rant:

If you think of it as driving your vehicle we should have no problems. Keep to right over hills and on the trail slow down around corners stop at intersections and be a defensive driver you should have lots of fun. Just my 2 cents:twocents:

Enjoy, enjoy,enjoy

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, nice to see the effort that is going into the trails again. Almost sorry I am no longer close by in the winters to get out and experience them snow covered. Only ever hiked over them in the summer, but was always curious as to what they were like to sled on.

Sleder

Reaction score
We were down there on Sunday, the group with the 4 trail sleds that had the old Aritic Cat that kept bogging out on us when it got to hot (thanks to the group with the new Yam'es for offering your help, much appreciated) and we were very impressed with the trail markings and the great grooming job. Three in our group are newbies to the sport and had a awesome time. Thanks for all the effort you guys are putting in! Your efforts are noticed.

Trails were great at the beginning of the day but later on in the afternoon bouncing around on those humps with the trail type sled is about as bad as the NDP jumping on our energy industry lately. Got pretty rough by the end of the day if you know what I mean! It is a nice trail system so looking forward to the improvements in the coming years.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Here's the Bow Valley forecast and the snow is supposed to be heavier down south. Hoping for a good dump as I'd like to get my sled out with a bunch of mods just made to it this week. It's ready to go!

IMG_5235.jpg

Issued: 4:00 PM MST Tuesday 8 December 2015
Snowfall warning in effect.
DateDetailed Forecast
TonightPeriods of snow ending near midnight then cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Snow or periods of rain early this evening. Local snowfall amount 5 cm. Wind west 20 km/h becoming light early this evening. Low plus 3.
Wed, 9 DecMainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries early in the morning. Snow at times heavy beginning in the morning and ending late in the afternoon. Amount 10 to 15 cm. Wind becoming west 20 km/h late in the morning. High 6.
NightClearing early in the evening. Wind west 20 km/h becoming light after midnight. Low minus 3.
Thu, 10 DecIncreasing cloudiness. High plus 1.
NightCloudy periods. Low minus 7.
Fri, 11 DecA mix of sun and cloud. High minus 3.
NightCloudy periods. Low minus 10.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
This is the Canmore and K-Country forecast and the snow and the wind are supposed to spread south as well. Fingers crossed.

[h=2]Warnings[/h]4:29 PM CST Tuesday 08 December 2015
Snowfall warning in effect for:

• Kananaskis Improvement District near Highwood House
  • Kananaskis Improvement District near Kananaskis Village
  • M.D. of Bighorn near Canmore Exshaw and Ghost Lake
  • M.D. of Bighorn near Ghost River Wilderness
An approaching low pressure system is causing snowfall over western Alberta this afternoon. 10 to 20 cm of snowfall accumulation is expected by this evening, with up to 25 cm possible near the B.C. border. Snowfall will taper off this evening.

Another system will bring more snow to these regions on Wednesday, with another 10 to 20 cm expected.

Reaction score
This is the Canmore and K-Country forecast and the snow and the wind are supposed to spread south as well. Fingers crossed.

Warnings

4:29 PM CST Tuesday 08 December 2015
Snowfall warning in effect for:

• Kananaskis Improvement District near Highwood House
  • Kananaskis Improvement District near Kananaskis Village
  • M.D. of Bighorn near Canmore Exshaw and Ghost Lake
  • M.D. of Bighorn near Ghost River Wilderness
An approaching low pressure system is causing snowfall over western Alberta this afternoon. 10 to 20 cm of snowfall accumulation is expected by this evening, with up to 25 cm possible near the B.C. border. Snowfall will taper off this evening.

Another system will bring more snow to these regions on Wednesday, with another 10 to 20 cm expected.

When Global shows the map of the snowfall warnings, it sure APPEARS like it would include the Cataract Creek area, but the map is somewhat vague so I can't be positive.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently S.L.S. has indicated that they will be hauling out of Wilkinson Summit Trail/Highway 940 until January 15, 2016. As soon as I know different, I will publish here.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So there is no quick way to the southern tip of trail system for time being? I know guts use to hop on the black dotted lne(trunk road) in between oyster and skyline but it is being used for hauling logs as well.

is Cummings creek trail passable the entire way? I tried going down oyster from the north but didn't make it far, bridge washed out. I know last year when the creek was frozen you could get around but I wasn't chancing it this early in the season

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently, the best way south, is to go; Cataract Creek Trail (new flagged trail from Cataract Creek parking lot) to Cummings Trail - then south and take the "Cross-over Trail" to Skyline Trail, on to Pasque Trail and and then west to the very SW corner of the whole system where Oyster Excursion Trail Intersects Pasque Trail
So there is no quick way to the southern tip of trail system for time being? I know guts use to hop on the black dotted lne(trunk road) in between oyster and skyline but it is being used for hauling logs as well.

is Cummings creek trail passable the entire way? I tried going down oyster from the north but didn't make it far, bridge washed out. I know last year when the creek was frozen you could get around but I wasn't chancing it this early in the season

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
We used to take Cummings to the crossover and then peel off on the old road to get way south of the trail so we could play in the blocks and the meadows south of the trail system. I believe the last couple years it was OK to ride that old road if you stayed to the side and shared it with the logging trucks? Is that not the case anymore?

I was hoping to go out this weekend if the snow is decent from this past weeks snowfall and would like to head down south to the areas we used to play in? Are all the trails down to those open area blocked or lacking bridges now days?

Can anyone tell me what loops are open and which are impeded or closed now?

Thanks...Graeme

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We used to take Cummings to the crossover and then peel off on the old road to get way south of the trail so we could play in the blocks and the meadows south of the trail system. I believe the last couple years it was OK to ride that old road if you stayed to the side and shared it with the logging trucks? Is that not the case anymore?

I was hoping to go out this weekend if the snow is decent from this past weeks snowfall and would like to head down south to the areas we used to play in? Are all the trails down to those open area blocked or lacking bridges now days?

Can anyone tell me what loops are open and which are impeded or closed now?

Thanks...Graeme

Hi Graeme. Trails in the south a little screwed up right now still. Logging trucks and plowed roads still running. Please don't end up in a tangle with a logging truck. They are working on getting the logs out of there now and we could use the roads again. I know the locals had a way around to access but we couldn't get up there with the drags.
I'm getting back up there to set trail next week. Work still and trailwork at another snowmobile trail system this weekend.
Have a safe trip be careful.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Will do Glen,

Been off the sleds for a few years and busting at the seams to get out and try out this 2-stroke I just hopped up. Might be looking for someone to ride with this weekend so I can put a few miles on this SX Viper and see how it is after doing some mods. Might do a few loops if the snow from Wednesday has dropped some fresh stuff out there. Anyone been there this week to see if they got any snow?

Top Bottom