Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have got my scanner working and I am going to post a series of "printable", hand marked maps for the area, for trail users to use. I attached these maps last year and met a number of people on the trails with them. I trust this will help people.

First one: Spray Lakes Sawmill Active Use "roads" in the system - The black lines on the attached scanned map are the currently active roads use by the sawmill to haul out cut logs. The active cutting is finished, but they have a large volume of logs to move. They operate primarily from Monday, to Friday, but depending on availablity of trucks, may operate on a few weekends. THE KEY HERE IS - STAY OFF THESE ROADS, IF THEY ARE PLOUGHED. If the road is not ploughed, that means the trucks are not running. If ploughed, do not drive on as a fully loaded logging truck does not know you are there, and can not stop in time on a "bad corner".
Spray Lakes Sawmill Active to Jan 15 2016.jpg

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This map represents the "open" snowmobile trails, until futher notice. Once S.L.S. is finished hauling logs, I will post an update. It is probable that the Wilkinson Summit Trail/Hwy 940 will not be open for some time as S.L.S is also hauling logs from south of the Wilkinson Pass north through Longview.

With this representation, I have used pink and green, hopefulling showing access best out of Etheringon and Cataract. Cataract Creek Trail is fully open east-west and flagged from the parking lot. Just remember - until we can get signs up - that you will be crossing S.L.S.'s "Lost Creek (lease) Road" before the bridge and to stop before doing so to make sure there are no logging trucks passing the trail crossing.
Active Trails CCST as of Dec 11 2015.jpg

Hirmkin

Reaction score
On Sunday when we were there on the Cummings trail there's route we found through the trees, back onto the creek up a small hill back onto the trial.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On Sunday when we were there on the Cummings trail there's route we found through the trees, back onto the creek up a small hill back onto the trial.
I am aware of this "re-route". Personally I am not a big fan of it - I would like to see a bridge put in. BUT.......although I can not stop anyone from going to this trail, I just try and recommend to all that they avoid the "southern part" of Cummings Trail until all the logs are hauled off and the trucks don't come back. Once they stop ploughing the road, we can use their bridges and road to access this part of the system.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out today

I believe oyster is impassable currently. If you start North and head south and come to the first washed out bridge the creek is not frozen enough to get around.

skyline has a fallen tree that you can get under.....if you dig enough so your sled will go under. I would have sawed it out but I left my shovel with saw handle in the truck.

cummings trail is a confusing SOB. That logging road really did a number on it. Started at North end and headed south, was fine until you hit the first logging road, didn't have a clue if I should go right or left to try and find the trail again.

it is a real pain in the azz to get to cut blocks on south end, took us the better part of the day to do it.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out today

I believe oyster is impassable currently. If you start North and head south and come to the first washed out bridge the creek is not frozen enough to get around.

skyline has a fallen tree that you can get under.....if you dig enough so your sled will go under. I would have sawed it out but I left my shovel with saw handle in the truck.

cummings trail is a confusing SOB. That logging road really did a number on it. Started at North end and headed south, was fine until you hit the first logging road, didn't have a clue if I should go right or left to try and find the trail again.

it is a real pain in the azz to get to cut blocks on south end, took us the better part of the day to do it.

Any new snow??

1972vega

Reaction score
Hi JamMasta I believe that picture was taking in Don Getty park and from my understanding we are only allowed to pass through it on the main trail not allowed to play there please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Looks good! I too am curious as to where the pictures are from.

On the one hand, no Alberta Government Employee takes ownership to properly sign the snowmobile trail through the Don Getty Wildland Provincial Park, to keep recreational snowmobilers on the proper route/trail.

On the other hand, the Calgary Snowmobile Club has been given a Temporary Forestry Allowance (T.F.A.) to maintain and groom the Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails on Alberta Public Lands - this does not include any "Parks" responsible area.

To "get the job done", the club's trails committee will attempt to sign the trail over Fording pass, above tree line, by Christmas. We have just received signage supplied by the Alberta Snowmobile Association, and will use some to indicate a trial - some how. I would rather beg for forgiveness for doing something long overdue done, then wait any longer. All signage set up will be seasonal, and removed at the end of April.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the don Getty before the ride over to fording? Curious how the trail over to fording is

edit - didn't notice don Getty on Kaz's map.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry my first time out there, was just following the tracks.

No problem, signage is bad/none existent. Check out the map, and try and stay on the indicated trail across Fording Pass to points west.

Reaction score
We got out for a couple hours on Sunday. Not nearly long enough and we didn't explore very far, sadly. The snow was "okay"... I mean I was happy, but I'm easily pleased lol. I'd seriously like to go again and follow a group. I see a staging area full of vehicles, and yet never see anyone on the trails... so they must be going places I am not. All in good time I suppose.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are avalanche beacons needed for all or any trails at Cataract Creek?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are avalanche beacons needed for all or any trails at Cataract Creek?

dont think they are necessary, i have yet to wear mine.

i think the only place you need to worry is over at Fording Pass.

someone correct me if im wrong.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont think they are necessary, i have yet to wear mine.

i think the only place you need to worry is over at Fording Pass.

someone correct me if im wrong.

You are correct.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Fording relatively safe if you are not high marking and just stick to the trees?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Fording relatively safe if you are not high marking and just stick to the trees?
DO NOT GO OVER FORDING PASS (or up Baril Creek Trail for that matter) WITHOUT A TRANSCIEVER, SHOVEL, AND PROBE - OR ALONE. I would even go as far to say do not even go there if you do not take a GPS with you, activated with a bread crumb trail. If the area get socked in, it is really hard to find your way out if you are not super familiar with the area.

Top Bottom