Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey JZ1. It was good meeting you and your wife today on the trails. Unless it has been changed the north end of the Valley Bottom trail is accessed through the Etherington campground. Take the trail to the left just as you leave the parking lot instead of going straight out to the open area by the group shelter. That will take you through the campground to get to the valley bottom trail. Not sure which loop you take within the campground though.

The Conservation Officer was opening the gates this evening.

Nice job on the trails Glen!

I knew your snow and mud name had Pop in it, couldn't remember anything else, I'm terrible with names. Maybe I'll run into you again down there or who knows maybe in the Crow. Hopefully heading back this Friday with a group of friends and then maybe Sunday with the daughter.

DoCDoo

Reaction score
Saw your red groomer leaning against the tree as well today. No idea what trail it was on, but we saw it. :)

Kind of missed the Etherington staging area so ended up parking at Cataract. We did find one trail that had been groomed but no other sled tracks which was kind of a surprise.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone been over to fording yet? Did the bridges get repaired? And does anyone have a map to get over? I've been there once and I'm sure I remember how but better safe than sorry

Reaction score
So... is it worth heading out? Snow on the trails? I'm hoping to go our for at least a few hours this weekend...... but wouldn't mind knowing if I'll just be turning around? I'm not experienced with that area, so I don't know how well conditions will maintain the snow from the pictures above.

Thoughts?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure how warm it was there but the wind around drumheller made the liitle snow we had disappear

RMKRookie

Reaction score
5 degres on my way in to work in Calgary at 6 am today - street bikes are coming back out, even a guy on a Ural getting a Christmas tree ( stuffed in side car )

Reaction score
5 degres on my way in to work in Calgary at 6 am today - street bikes are coming back out, even a guy on a Ural getting a Christmas tree ( stuffed in side car )

Yup I'm aware. Very nice here this morning, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything regarding Cataract Creek. I may just have to "risk it" and drive out.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone think it is worth going out tomorrow? I'm sure the snow is fine as you get further back, little worried about the trail out of etherington though

Reaction score
Anyone think it is worth going out tomorrow? I'm sure the snow is fine as you get further back, little worried about the trail out of etherington though

I'm going at some point this weekend.... for sure. I can't say if Saturday or Sunday (or hell... maybe both).... but I can't wait any f'n longer! I'm not a patient guy lol

How long does that take you from Drum? 2.5 hours? Isn't there closer places (when there's more snow?) I have gone sledding in Carbon near a buddies place.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wind and warm weather yesterday melted everything around, it looks and feels May. Before it all melted there wasn't close to enough snow anyway to ride around here. The storm that brought all the snow also brought the wind so nothing stuck around, it all blew away

yeah im 2 1/2 from etherington

Reaction score
The wind and warm weather yesterday melted everything around, it looks and feels May. Before it all melted there wasn't close to enough snow anyway to ride around here. The storm that brought all the snow also brought the wind so nothing stuck around, it all blew away

yeah im 2 1/2 from etherington

Well maybe some time down the road we could head out together. You could crash in our spare room the evening before and leave with us in the morning. Save an hour on the drive.... have a drinking practice maybe lol

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be in need of a partner to head over the divide with tomorrow for a look…. my buddy who I was going to go with is having some mechanical difficulty. I won’t be able to respond back till later tonight as I'm going to be away from the computer for a bit, so PM your cell # and I’ll txt you back when I can.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where is the trail head for valley bottom at the north end?

oh and Glen your groomer is still where you left it

Good its still there. I was a bit afraid to go up that hill by myself. When grooming alone it is always safe to be chicken. I hate being stuck under a 800 pound sled with drag attatched

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heading out again tommorow morning to gather up my gear and move it to Cataract Creek area.
Glad you all seem to like the set trail. Just a reminder that trailpass dollars pay for the fuel the groomer uses and all other things that go along with a organized trail system. Do you part and help the area.

Enjoy. Bring out the family

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be in need of a partner to head over the divide with tomorrow for a look…. my buddy who I was going to go with is having some mechanical difficulty. I won’t be able to respond back till later tonight as I'm going to be away from the computer for a bit, so PM your cell # and I’ll txt you back when I can.

No msg's, so nobody headed over the divide??

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day, good snow. Place was packed, must have been at least 20 plus trucks at etherington. Saw a ton of people on the trails. Was gonna go back tomorrow but I have a leak in my front exchanger

Top Bottom