cat guy just got a apex turbo 310 hp. HELP

D Morgan

Reaction score
New to the 4 stroke thing, new to the turbo thing.
The sled appears to be stock other than mcx rear mount kit rods, low comp and .060 head shim @ 310 hp. Is there any thing you yami guys think this thing will need or I should look for. Only rode it in my alley so far and probably 1.2 km of smoke shows in the shop. Im sure the power will be pretty fun, but are they decent handling compared to my M chassis.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All around, pretty good sled/turbo. Not sure what you are meaning, low comp & 60thou shim. Are you meaning the engine has low compression pistons & a head shim? There would be no reason to put a head shim in with low comp pisotns. Guessing that it just got a head shim to lower the compression dow. One thing that does give problems is the exhaust system. In 06, the apex got Ti exhaust. For some reason, with boost, cold snow hitting it. It likes to collaspe. A fix is getting a exhaust of a RX1 as its SS. Need the 4 bellows off the engine, then the center section extend as the RX1 exhaust is abit shorter. Have fun with the sled, you wouldnt be able it get that $hit eating grin off your face when you hit the throttle in the deep snow.

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a lot you can do to make that beast better. Start with a tunnel and rear skid. You'll lose over 70lbs.

tapex

Reaction score
All around, pretty good sled/turbo. Not sure what you are meaning, low comp & 60thou shim. Are you meaning the engine has low compression pistons & a head shim? There would be no reason to put a head shim in with low comp pisotns. Guessing that it just got a head shim to lower the compression dow. One thing that does give problems is the exhaust system. In 06, the apex got Ti exhaust. For some reason, with boost, cold snow hitting it. It likes to collaspe. A fix is getting a exhaust of a RX1 as its SS. Need the 4 bellows off the engine, then the center section extend as the RX1 exhaust is abit shorter. Have fun with the sled, you wouldnt be able it get that $hit eating grin off your face when you hit the throttle in the deep snow.

Yamaha has an optional part # for ss header pipes. If needed they will fit right in there with no mods and are well priced.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats great news, will let buddy with turbo apex know. I still have the RX1ton, the outdated sled.

Top Bottom