Castle Ski Hill Closed. Garbage Winter!

Skyhigh

Reaction score
[h=1][/h]
February 15, 2015 - Pincher Creek, AB - We regretfully announce that Castle Mountain Resort will be unable to continue its winter operations at this time. Following the temporary closure last week temperatures have remained high and no new snow have forced this closure. Monday February 16[SUP]th[/SUP] will be our last day of operation. We will make every effort to re-open if conditions permit.
The mountain's snowpack, especially at lower elevations, is too lean to continue with alpine operations. The contrast in snowfall from an average full season Winter snowfall is 910cm. Currently to date for the 14/15 season we have received 264cm.
"The resort staff have all been working hard, moving lots of snow to rebuild the lower mountain." says Brad Brush, General Manager. "Unfortunately the weather has been against us, delivering warm, wet conditions that has eroded our snow base in these areas".
This season has been extremely challenging and Mother Nature has unfortunately not delivered this season. Our customers, the community and our staff have been very patient this Winter Season. Please keep snow dancing!

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bottom of Fernie is in really bad shape also. Upper mountain is OK but it is rock hard in most places and spring skiing in a few. Rumor had it Fernie was also closing, but a friend of mine was assured by management that the rumor was not true. Worst season on memory and Ive been skiing for 42 years.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty bad to be losing ski hills in the middle of February....

Think positive Ken, the risk of flooding might be lower this year.

And with all the drilling rigs shut down, there should be no shortage of volunteers to help fight fire this summer...

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let's hope so....Imagine how dry it's gonna be this spring....

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard from a Fernie ski hill employee that they are very close to closing down as well. Sounds like it could be as early as next week if they don't get any snow....

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard from a Fernie ski hill employee that they are very close to closing down as well. Sounds like it could be as early as next week if they don't get any snow....

I received an email from FAR management saying the hill closure rumor was not true...they are still planning on a mid April closure. Key word is planning...

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I received an email from FAR management saying the hill closure rumor was not true...they are still planning on a mid April closure. Key word is planning...

Ya who knows. I've seen pics and it don't look good....

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All it takes is a few March and arpril dumps, seen carbon dale in early arpril with tons of snow, our snow has all need going to Boston, and we are stuck in a low pressure system all winter.. Hopfully it stays away for a few years... Not really my type of winter

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm loving this winter, we've had good snow for most of the season, ski hill is in great shape, sucks for any ski hill to have a season like castle mountains getting. Hopefully next year makes up for this one for them.

Top Bottom