carls cut?

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys what exactly is the carls cut, what are the benefits from it, and also have people been doing this to the stock ski's as well as aftermarket ones?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You cut a strip off the rear outside edge of the ski, about 6" x 1". It is supposed to make it easier to counter steer when you're sidehilling. It can be done to any ski.

1badhusky

Reaction score
I just did this to my 09 M1000 stock skis. Definitely makes it lay over and stay over easier in all conditions. In many sidehills I now only need to lean into it vs jumping into wrong foot forward.

It makes it very sketchy on the trails though - wants to flop over - doesn't bother me much as I only ride trails to get to the steep and deep - but you'll defs notice it both places. I'd do it again.

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did this for the girlfriends M7 and wow! she said best mod we have done to her sled no questions asked. She flops it over much easier and has wayh more control on sidehills. I cut her skis almost up to the bolt. I bet close to 10 inches

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone has done this and can post a pic it would be much appreciated, been thinking of doing it for a while. It already sidehills pretty good but would be nicer to be able to counter steer a little easier

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this is crazy to do? Cut your skiis? I just put 8 inch sly dogs on and can sidehill and counter steer with ease. Last thing I would do is now cut out a chunck of them.. Just saying..

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen Chris Brown and Bret Rasmussen both running their skis with them cut... The cut starts on the outside of the ski-slightly to the rear of where the spindle meets and bolts into the saddle of the ski. It then forms a diagonal line that runs to the back tip of the ski and intercepts it in the exact middle of the back ski edge. Does that make sense?

Chris runs Sly Dogs and still cuts them this way. I tried Bret's and it definitely helps on slow and steep sidehills. One of these days I will be doing mine too :)

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
photo poached from the snowest link I posted above. The idea totally makes sense to me I'm thinking of buying some beater skis to try it.

Attachments

• Powder%20Cut.jpg
    Powder%20Cut.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 300

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not even take that much off to start with I only did the outside 1 inch to start with, I was going to take off a bit more for the next ride.

1badhusky

Reaction score
photo poached from the snowest link I posted above. The idea totally makes sense to me I'm thinking of buying some beater skis to try it.

That's a much more aggressive cut than I did and more aggressive than most I've seen - typically you just take about an inch off the outer edge following the outside edge line to the back - with as easy as it is on mine to sidehill - I would recommend you start with a modest cut and go more aggressive from there. I definitely wouldn't start with what's shown here!

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah good point I did choose the most dramatic picture out of several variations on this. If I do it I'll start small rather than cut 1/2 the ski off :)

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This photo is more like the true Carl's Cut modification. Also poached from that SW thread. The angle cut makes more sense to me than the straight offset cut. Only negative comments seem to be around bump steer type effect when landing jumps a little off kilter on the outer edge of the ski.

Attachments

• P1000082(1).JPG
    P1000082(1).JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 194

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could see doing this if you have those huge skis the yammy guys are using. You still have 3 acres of ski for flotation.

Top Bottom