Cariboo Heliski Study

deep blue

Reaction score
I remember when tobacco companies sponsored research and found that smoking is good for you. Its funny, I guess you really do get what you pay for.

What a joke

driller

Reaction score
was at the sled show in Edmonton and stopped to talk to the conservation officers the one guy was good to talk to but the other guy was aggressive right at the start. now it is not the wolves we are making a trail to the caribou they are concerned about it is the noise factor that is distressing the caribou. but i guess helicopters are quite. We have sledded in an area with caribou for years and guess what they are still there. it is a little unreasonable that you need millions of acres of land reserved for 500 caribou. we were sledding in an area where caribou were one day a few years ago and stopped for lunch and the caribou walked down where we had been sledding did not seem to scared of us as we keep our distance and left them alone
I am all for protecting the caribou but it would be nice if there was some honesty in all this

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was at the sled show in Edmonton and stopped to talk to the conservation officers the one guy was good to talk to but the other guy was aggressive right at the start. now it is not the wolves we are making a trail to the caribou they are concerned about it is the noise factor that is distressing the caribou. but i guess helicopters are quite. We have sledded in an area with caribou for years and guess what they are still there. it is a little unreasonable that you need millions of acres of land reserved for 500 caribou. we were sledding in an area where caribou were one day a few years ago and stopped for lunch and the caribou walked down where we had been sledding did not seem to scared of us as we keep our distance and left them alone
I am all for protecting the caribou but it would be nice if there was some honesty in all this[/QUOTE

wiggly was fighting with the edm snowmobile club when I was a kid. Our sleds were trampling a rare field stubble or something. Lol. Crazy old man with a agenda for anti sledding.

alpinestar636

Reaction score
Each one of those helicopters is equal to about 50 or more sleds when it comes to noise, and he has at least 7 of them going at once all over the mountain range. Seems like it would be pretty disruptful to the Caribou. It's pretty disrutpful for me when i'm trying to sleep in...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Helicopter is way louder than a sled. You can hear those things from miles away. That said there is nothing wrong with running quiet exhaust on your sled. You don't really need the loudest pipe on the market do you guys? It doesn't give you more power,, is super annoying and just adds fuel to the granolly fire.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think this should have been a joint venture with any of the possible affected parties.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two good things here.

1) They don't blame snowmobiling for caribou mortality.
2) If the noise from a helicopter is not a risk then the noise from a snowmobile is not either.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should come out with a "study" as well. Put it on VARDA letterhead and have it signed by some university somewhere.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should come out with a "study" as well. Put it on VARDA letterhead and have it signed by some university somewhere.

Exactly. This is just a thesis done by a student. There's a billion of 'em out there, and for the most part they get ignored. There's tons of credible science out there that's studied the effect of helicopters on various species, and I don't recall even one of them that says there's no effect. Quite the opposite in fact. Too bad really.....if it was an actual scientific conclusion it'd be easier to argue that the sound from sleds has no effect.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe wolf numbers should be looked at seeing as there is no cull anymore....takes a lot of meat to feed a large pack of wolves....less wolve=more cariboo, moose, deer, elk.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My studies have shown that while helicopters whump whump sound tends to scare the caribou the soothing buzz of the snowmobile engine actually encourages the caribou to mate and reproduce, sometimes frantically and with no shame on the side of the trail which can be a little disturbing to witness

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Mountain Caribou are not limited to 'remaining herds in BC and Idaho'. I recall shooting one last year in YT, and to my knowledge are not an endangered species. Many of them harvested every year.

I'm very impressed by this graduate students research. Probably never even seen one before. Probably not many in mom and dad's basement or the nearest Starbucks though.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Hmmm all mentions the skiing part not harmful to caribou nothing about the helicopters being harmful

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Weigle has deeper pockets than most of us, and can afford to "buy" all the studies he wants, and likely a few politicians as well. How can a bunch of unorganized sled heads compete with that? First step is to support the clubs that take a genuine interest in keeping some areas open for us. One day, maybe the big 4 will step up to the plate, and get a full time lobbyist on payroll to fight for our best interests as well as theirs.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
Ya, not really in North American culture. It's somewhat acceptable when directly translated from other languages into English.

But, as far as the actual study. I would like to think that any person with even a minuscule amount of common sense would see his actual agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using

bonecreek

Reaction score
LMAOOOO so the NWT & the Yukon are not part of Canada ?? Herds there are thriving & you can still hunt Barren land & Mountain Caribou on a sled.

Top Bottom