Carb bolts Siezed - How to?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carb bolts Seized - How to?

Looking for input. I "thought" I read to hit them with a heat gun to get them out, but figured I'd check before hunting a heat gun down (they were just on sale.... :mad: ) Something I have always wanted to buy but figured "have I had to use one yet?"

Either way, the top and air side covers have a few bolts siezed pretty good. I'm worried about stripping them. Hoping somebody can lemme know what the trick is.

Thanks!

Quinn

--> All this while staying at home to avoid avy risk, only to come on here to see pics of deep snow and big smiles.. I need to get it back together this week! Also doing a leak test on the engine.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which bolts are they? This is the problem with steel bolts in an aluminum carb.

Sometimes soaking in solvent will help. I have an impact driver you can borrow if you need it. Let me guess - they are phillips heads? LOL

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Damn philips..

I'm going to try a T-handle with some heat. If that doesn't work I am going to look into different forms of impact.

My work has a air impact, but I was hoping to find a cordless drill with impact function. Something i can ease into it with. The only bonus of stripping these bolts is that the head sticks out enough that I think a vice grip will get it out, although it will make a mess of the bolt (last resort).

The bolts are the 4 top caps on each carb (covering the top of the slide) and the 4 bolts on the airbox side (front of slide). The bowl is held on with one small bolt and it came off super easy. The other ones all took a lot of pressure. Some loosened, some didn't.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Damn philips..

I'm going to try a T-handle with some heat. If that doesn't work I am going to look into different forms of impact.

My work has a air impact, but I was hoping to find a cordless drill with impact function. Something i can ease into it with. The only bonus of stripping these bolts is that the head sticks out enough that I think a vice grip will get it out, although it will make a mess of the bolt (last resort).

The bolts are the 4 top caps on each carb (covering the top of the slide) and the 4 bolts on the airbox side (front of slide). The bowl is held on with one small bolt and it came off super easy. The other ones all took a lot of pressure. Some loosened, some didn't.

Sorry - didn't mean air impact driver - meant impact screwdriver, the kind you hit with a hammer, no air involved. Really good for unsticking stuck screws.

Heat the surrounding metal up a few times and then let it cool down, sometimes the expansion and contraction will break the seizing. Also, if you hit it with some penetrating lube when it is hot then it might work its way down into the threads. Throw them in some penetrating lube or solvent overnight, might come right out tomorrow.

You can also cut a slot in the head of the screw if you can access it, this way if you strip the phillips, you can use a flathead to try and get it out. A dremel works great for cutting the slot.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good news! With a bit of liquid wrench and a T-handle, they came out pretty damn easily!

Carbs have been given the once over and re-assembled.

Engine pressure checked and seems within reason. No leaking carb boots, no leaking y-pipe, and no leaking bearings (thank god). Engine seems pretty good!

Time to re-assemble and hope for snow!!

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry - didn't mean air impact driver - meant impact screwdriver, the kind you hit with a hammer, no air involved. Really good for unsticking stuck screws.

Heat the surrounding metal up a few times and then let it cool down, sometimes the expansion and contraction will break the seizing. Also, if you hit it with some penetrating lube when it is hot then it might work its way down into the threads. Throw them in some penetrating lube or solvent overnight, might come right out tomorrow.

You can also cut a slot in the head of the screw if you can access it, this way if you strip the phillips, you can use a flathead to try and get it out. A dremel works great for cutting the slot.

I forgot about the good ole impack screw driver. My dad used to have one and we used it all of the time. Worked great! Where can you get one these days. It would be a good one to add to the tool crib.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the good ole impack screw driver. My dad used to have one and we used it all of the time. Worked great! Where can you get one these days. It would be a good one to add to the tool crib.

Princess auto carries them. I believe NAPA also carries them but more money than Princess.

Top Bottom