Loose and lost y pipe bolts

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I would never thought brp still had this issue on my XM. After all the hassles on the XP I had I figured they would have it fixed. Wrong was I. Both our XM lost bolts and this after the break-in inspection by the dealer. Was told it's my responsibility to check them by brp customer service. This after it was taken to the dealer under warranty to be fixed and they just happened to forget to tell me I was paying. Well 150 dollars later and A very heated discussion with the dealer and brp I now understand that this is not a known issue ( right!) and they do not check it on the break-in inspection. End of story.....so everyone with a skidoo better be checking these little buggers before theirs fall out. If you have a good dealer your story may be different.

They can can build airplanes but can't get those bolts to stay tight. Wonder how the 850's are doing?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All our XM's had loose bolts after a few rides.
Re torqued and used thread locker and have not had a single one back out again.
I was told a good re torque was all that was needed.
Seemed to work well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All our XM's had loose bolts after a few rides.
Re torqued and used thread locker and have not had a single one back out again.
I was told a good re torque was all that was needed.
Seemed to work well for us.

I might be missing the obvious but don't you damage the thread locking compound by retorquing?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Technically, probably. But it has worked for us on several sleds. Maybe re torquing takes up the gasket squish and that's all that is required?
When the Y pipe has to come off, its clean the threads, re apply locker and re torque after awhile.
Never an issue.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never even checked mine in 8000 km, mind you 5000 km had pistons done warranty and 8000 km crank done warranty

sent while drinking tea's

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never even checked mine in 8000 km, mind you 5000 km had pistons done warranty and 8000 km crank done warranty

Its likely more of an issue on sleds that get past half throttle

The larger diameter bolt did reduce the chance of backing off but after a few break in rides it is still good to retorque them and go over the entire sleds suspension components as well.

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is this an issue with cats or polaris's ? and my point is the dealer does not check it nor mention it as a issue. Oh and not everyone is a snowmobile mechanic so why would the dealer not mention it on the inspection and give me the option for them to be checked. My fault I thought skidoo would have this resolved on the XM. That's my issue....and I will not be doing a dealer service again.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The larger diameter bolt did reduce the chance of backing off but after a few break in rides it is still good to retorque them and go over the entire sleds suspension components as well.

Oh boy, that's like 2 1/2 cranks and 2 sets of piston's under my use. I have never ever had any 2stroke snowmobile exceed 3000k under my use without major engine repairs needed, no matter what make it was. Its either, piston time and more piston time and today its crank time LOL.
Now on the other hand my wife seems to get them big kilometer numbers on her sled's no matter what the make it is and actually all her sled's. hhmm
Most be the flipper on the bar causing the problem LOL.

The Y pipe screws need to be retorque after break in, if not your likely to run into the loosening of the screws. Like mentioned above your sled should go through a thorough inspection and bolt retorque after it has broken in. Yes loc-tite can be used on the screws with no ill effect, the biggest issue we find is guys will over tighten the screw and strip the threads. Use the torque spec and loc-tite and your golden.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is this an issue with cats or polaris's ? and my point is the dealer does not check it nor mention it as a issue. Oh and not everyone is a snowmobile mechanic so why would the dealer not mention it on the inspection and give me the option for them to be checked. My fault I thought skidoo would have this resolved on the XM. That's my issue....and I will not be doing a dealer service again.

This has been an on going problem with Rotax since 1999 with the intro of the first series 3 motor. Some have issues some don't.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An engine builder that used to maintain the fleet of doo rentals in Golden told me to use Teflon tape on them. Said that blue lock tite can't take the heat.

orly

Reaction score
Oh boy, that's like 2 1/2 cranks and 2 sets of piston's under my use. I have never ever had any 2stroke snowmobile exceed 3000k under my use without major engine repairs needed, no matter what make it was. Its either, piston time and more piston time and today its crank time LOL.
Now on the other hand my wife seems to get them big kilometer numbers on her sled's no matter what the make it is and actually all her sled's. hhmm
Most be the flipper on the bar causing the problem LOL.

The Y pipe screws need to be retorque after break in, if not your likely to run into the loosening of the screws. Like mentioned above your sled should go through a thorough inspection and bolt retorque after it has broken in. Yes loc-tite can be used on the screws with no ill effect, the biggest issue we find is guys will over tighten the screw and strip the threads. Use the torque spec and loc-tite and your golden.

I am about to check mine, what should these be torqued to?
Thanks!

stevex76

Reaction score
Just lost two of mine on a 2015, went to dealer 4 new bolts, two new gaskets, no charge, warranty covered it.

roadlinur113

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Usually 1/2 throttle is all you need to pull past the Poo......you know the old saying......just unzip and pull out enough to win the turkey lol

Top Bottom