Capital punishment

Dwishl

Reaction score
Alright folks I was in class this morning and we are having a huge talk on capital punishment. What's your take on this ?

Dwishl

Reaction score
Lethal injection , firing squad, gas chamber, electric chair etc and of we agree with the punishment. And if it would be smart to bring it back or not .

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard that in the states, a capital punishment case costs more than locking them up for life, due to appeals and all that process.

If that is true, I say we lock em up, let them waste the rest of their lives in a hole somewhere. I also dislike the un-reversible nature of capital punishment. If we can prove 100% that someone raped a child or killed someone else, I might be for it, if it's cheaper than the alternative.

Just my opinion.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's for real. Also heard about hospitals needing the beds for other people.....that situation

Dwishl

Reaction score
I have heard that in the states, a capital punishment case costs more than locking them up for life, due to appeals and all that process.

If that is true, I say we lock em up, let them waste the rest of their lives in a hole somewhere. I also dislike the un-reversible nature of capital punishment. If we can prove 100% that someone raped a child or killed someone else, I might be for it, if it's cheaper than the alternative.

Just my opinion.

That's the only bad thing about it, is that if the person is wrongfully accused then what? He's dead and the government looks like a idiot. Which leads to waisting more money on lawsuits.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Waste of money. There have been too many people pulled off of death row in the past 20 years as a result of new evidence. If an error is made, there is no correcting it. What they need to do is put rapists,child killers and molesters in general population in prison and see how that goes.

Dwishl

Reaction score
Waste of money. There have been too many people pulled off of death row in the past 20 years as a result of new evidence. If an error is made, there is no correcting it. What they need to do is put rapists,child killers and molesters in general population in prison and see how that goes.

Ya people don't take to lightly to rapists in there.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should cut off the right hand of thieves or something then everyone would know there a thief and if they get caught again off with the left and then no more stealing!

Sent from a iPhone

Dwishl

Reaction score
They should cut off the right hand of thieves or something then everyone would know there a thief and if they get caught again off with the left and then no more stealing!

Sent from a iPhone

That's not the only downside to losing a right hand either!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be willing to wager that there has never been a case of someone on the verge of killing another person stop and say "Oh! I could get executed for this, I better not kill this person".
Most murders are done in the heat of the moment or by people with nothing to lose. As a deterrent the death penalty is useless.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It costs more and is not a deterrant. In the US states with the death penalty still have higher murder rates than states without. The US really is great model of what not to do. They have the most prisons and the most inmates and some of the longest sentances and yet still have some of the highest crime rates in the world. I used to think it was all about more punishment but it's clear that model doesn't work. It's about treating the underlying issues. A hell of a lot easier said than done!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Some people are just broken and can't be fixed.... put them down....

We release repeat offender rapists and child predators back into society then warn the citizens and communities. Our prisons are full of career criminals rotating through the system in/out/in/out etc...

You know what life isn't fair PERIOD.... inocent people get sick and die from disease, drunk drivers, plane crashes, floods, fires etc... every day. In the grand scheme of things the possibility of a few wrongful convictions sucks but not enough to hinder society as a whole. There are many criminals in prison right now who have been convicted of horrible crimes based on undeniable DNA evidence and/or multiple eye witnesses... no grounds for appeal... put them down.

The penal/justice system is another one of our wasteful social safety nets that in it's current state can not be sustained for the long term.

We need to explore creative sentencing for non-violent crimes where the procecuted are forced to repay thier debt to society constructively. Violent criminals need rehabilitation and if that doesn't work they are broken...put them down.

Our society seems to take pride in keeping the stupid and lazy alive.

At one point in time you worked or you starved, if your choice of work was of the criminal nature thieving from hard working people you were hanged or shot. In our society there is no excuse for criminal activity other than greed, if you don't want to work the govenment will make sure your fed, clothed, with a roof over your head, a pack of smokes a day and enough booze to keep you numb... Drug addiction sucks but so does cancer and drug users much like cancer patients often die, if I get to pick where my tax dollars are spent I'd prefer to concentrate on the diseases that are not self inflicted...

Just sayin....

Last edited:

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take away the crazy plea, no more plea bargains, add capital punishment for any circumstance where that person committed the crime beyond the shawdow of a doubt (ie colorado shooting type scenario, or that travis baumgartner guy) where people witnessed the event, or they get caught red handed. if theres any doubt, then just give them life.

aside from just prison, i say implant them with gps trackers, chain them up, and put em in work camps or something. at least let them do something useful rather than just costing money sitting in a cage.

heres my example. Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo, two of the most renowned serial killers in canada. From my home town, they killed two girls who went to school with friends (and family) of mine. Karla turns over on Paul, puts him away for life, she gets 11 years, within a year of her release, a quebec judge lifts all her restrictions, and now whe lives in Barbados, or Turks and Caicos or somewhere raising a few kids married to some rich guy. how is that justice? she is an absolute monster who should have been shot. period. dont even try to argue that fact.

Last edited:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aside from just prison, i say implant them with gps trackers, chain them up, and put em in work camps or something. at least let them do something useful rather than just costing money sitting in a cage.

heres my example. Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo, two of the most renowned serial killers in canada. From my home town, they killed two girls who went to school with friends (and family) of mine. Karla turns over on Paul, puts him away for life, she gets 11 years, within a year of her release, a quebec judge lifts all her restrictions, and now whe lives in Barbados, or Turks and Caicos or somewhere raising a few kids married to some rich guy. how is that justice? she is an absolute monster who should have been shot. period. dont even try to argue that fact.

As for putting inmates to work, I disagree. That can take away jobs from Canadians who are trying to pay their own bills at home.

AS far as Karla Homolka goes, she shouldn't have been shot, but rather painfully and slowly executed. Pure and genuine evil.
Flies in the face of my general approach to the subject, but those two are scum.

Reactions: RXN

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda on the fence. Seems a bit uncivilized, but I've been pizzed off enough at quite a few cases to say just shoot him for fuggs sake.

For sure I'd like to see life sentences actually be life. Die in prison.....no parole!

Top Bottom