Cant believe the quality of my warn winch from Yamaha 2007 grizzly.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this being the 4th time this winch has seized up on me i decide that hell its not even in warranty anymore so im gona do it myself.
I crack it open with full intentions of when this thing is back together its gona be sealed hell or highwater.

well it seems it cant be. first off ive got about 500km on this quad. the winch was used maybe 20 or so times total.

this thing was rusted solid seized beyond belief. Hardly any grease in it. and even the motor had rusted solid yes the motor.

ive got all the parts soaking in parts cleaner it took me over a hr to get all the gears turning again and the motor is working once i broke it loose with a wrench.

I honestly cant believe these winches are completely unsealed like this i would have liked to see some sealed bearings atleast or something but no.

personaly after doing this i will never EVER buy a warn winch again and if my new bike comes with one i want them to take it off and discount me the $.

my old mans honda has a viper i got him off E-bay for 120$ thats seen everything mines seen and never has it once seized on him.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So this being the 4th time this winch has seized up on me i decide that hell its not even in warranty anymore so im gona do it myself.
I crack it open with full intentions of when this thing is back together its gona be sealed hell or highwater.

well it seems it cant be. first off ive got about 500km on this quad. the winch was used maybe 20 or so times total.

this thing was rusted solid seized beyond belief. Hardly any grease in it. and even the motor had rusted solid yes the motor.

ive got all the parts soaking in parts cleaner it took me over a hr to get all the gears turning again and the motor is working once i broke it loose with a wrench.

I honestly cant believe these winches are completely unsealed like this i would have liked to see some sealed bearings atleast or something but no.

personaly after doing this i will never EVER buy a warn winch again and if my new bike comes with one i want them to take it off and discount me the $.

my old mans honda has a viper i got him off E-bay for 120$ thats seen everything mines seen and never has it once seized on him.

Luck of the draw,you likely have a lemon.They are proven over and over!I've got two and one is one a utv and still works problem free after three years of pulling Ron out of the mud!
catmando!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just think they stuck junk on my bike tbh..

i see no way to seal this lol. its always going to get mud and water in it somehow.

its a damn good thing i never need to winch out of holes *LOL*

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There you go!Ride it like you stole it.No wonder you winch siezed up,you gotta use it once in a while!
catmando!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Thats is funny in a way because Warn advertises that they are sealed.I did have bad luck with the2000# winches went through 2 of them but who is easy on there winch?the new 2500 & 3000# ones seem to be allright as far as i know

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have the 2500 Warns on both of my 650I Kawaski's and I guess I got 2 piles of junk.Both where siezed this spring.Took both of them apart and used a half of tube grease in each one.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Wow good to know I have a 6 year old 2000# that has taken it fair share of abuse it has been overheated and stalled out so many times yet I refuse to open it cause I don't wanna know....but the ol girl keeps working away :d

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I just helped a buddy rebuild his last night. And I rebuild mine at least once or twice a year. You can rebuild a warn for next to nothing. Drum seals $5, bushings $9, 2 cans of brake clean $6 and it only takes about 45 min. total and thats including cleaning the parts and re-installing it. Every time I have pulled mine apart it had some sort of skeg or muck inside of it but thats par. Warn has proved to me that their reliable. Never had one fail to the point of no return. Maintenance is the key. Pull them apart and clean them once and a while pack them with new grease (wheel grease). Good luck here is a linky to the breakdown of the winch. As you can see there is not much to them.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I had the same issue with the warn on my 400 outtie, I ended up replacing the motor as could not get it to work. That must be the older style warn winch. The new late 07 and up warn winches are totally sealed and have all metal gears and have alot of upgrades to them, also include a quick switch to go between freewheel and lock. Very happy with the new XT30, with lifetime warranty

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
leonard man i feel your pain lol
i have the same quad and the same winch, i hate when you break through the ice and fill the thing full of water then let it sit outside for the night, go to use it the next day and wow what a surprise she dont work

the thing that pisses me off is that winch cant be relied on if i go by myself, i have to take a comealong for a back up

i have also had problems with the free wheel not clicking in,god i hate that zipp sound :rant:

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well exactly dean.

here is how this winch has been in the past.. MY FIRST trip out it started klinking. there was a recall on one of the splines and they replaced it it was fixed.

my next trip out i was just rippin around in a Clean creek not really all that deep.

the next time i went out this was all within like a week or so. 3rd trip winch seized.

took it in to the shop they fixed it for free.

2 weeks pass i take it out .. the usual stuff .. go home take it out the next day .. free spool dont work seized (LOL) this time they charged me i think 75 bucks at the shop to fix it ya a week after they just had it in.

fall comes ect spring comes winch is siezed again lmao. srsly wth right. take it in.. 150$........... works ..

3 trips later seized again and here we are.. this thing is just full of junk like its hard to even belive they ship these out with 0 ability to keep mud or water out. i mean it would prob be better if i just freaking drilled a hole in it for the water to drain out lmao.. and the biggest kicker for me was the non sealed motor i mean srsly lol thats the last thing that should be getting water in it.

oh and btw.. when cleaning the motor there was grease in it . is that suposed to be greased because any motors ive ever worked on in the past had 0 grease in them.

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey ya thats a good idea drill some drain/speed holes in it :d

last time i took mine apart i just pumped everything full of grease and said screw it

i am so sick of taking it apart and i know its full of crap again,but what the hell i will use it till she dies then that gives me an excuse to buy a new sealed one :cool:

hey does anyone know if those cheeeep champion ones from costco are sealed? might have to get one for a back up :lol2:

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, muddin' costs money. So do winches, so do wenches.
lol ya and so does quads with cheap warn winches on them. /spit

anyways its working i packed it so full of grease that it was basically squishing out. free spool isnt all that easy to use now but it works and if it keeps the water out hopefully it will keep working. i used water resistant grease so hopefully it doesn't mix like the old CRAP did .

the last thing that should break down on you in the mud is your winch imho and warn should know better tbh.

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha today i just broke my cable looks like i have to take my winch out again, might as well clean it while i have it out :p

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hehe.. hey buy the synthetic rope and tell me how it does. i think im gona switch over to that sooner or later. ill have to buff the guide smooth though first no rollers on this and the cable chewed the guide up some.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of Warn 2500 winches. Completely open to the elements, hard to believe a company like this would mass produce such a cheap POS for quad use. I have to take my 2500 apart at least 2 or 3 times a season for the same reasons , fortunately it just needs to have the mud and crap scooped out and then regreased, and should it need parts they are readily available. But who knew, it came on my Outtie XT from the dealer, guess I am stuck with it till it dies.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, is there a place for a grease nipple so you can pump the crud out? Sure would be a pain if winch not working and your stuck

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, is there a place for a grease nipple
nope and the fact that the casing is a gear i don't think putting one in is a good idea either.

Top Bottom