Canadian Investments In Solar Power Tanked For 2nd Straight Year(TAKE NOTE NOTELY!!)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, with that logic the oil companies should die too? Or we should all be shareholders?

They make billions of dollars a year and still get subsidies. Why should they get handouts yet a company trying to make it work doesn't?

#letsgochamp

When has a oil company got a bail out from the Government?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My solar calcs show a payout of around 15 years for my place without any rebates (waiting to see what comes out). If I can get that down in half I'll install some, but for now not touching it. Poor payout rather spend money elsewhere... Glad you're able to jerry rig it to make it work and payout quick.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My solar calcs show a payout of around 15 years for my place without any rebates (waiting to see what comes out). If I can get that down in half I'll install some, but for now not touching it. Poor payout rather spend money elsewhere... Glad you're able to jerry rig it to make it work and payout quick.

String inverters or micro inverters with anti-islanding? What type of mounting system? I'm using kinetic roof mount. Ground mount? What price per kw/h are your calcs based on? Auto tracking or fixed? 95% efficiency rating?
How many hours of direct sunlight? Poly ,monocrystalline or amorphous panels? Etc. like I said earlier if you have to pay someone to do everything it drives the costs way up. I'm lucky and have great friends:)

25 year warranty on the micro inverters and price is way down.
https://www.wholesalesolar.com/2930488/enphase/inverters/enphase-m250-with-mc4-micro-inverter
64dc735e6659aaed41ece21e006bd904.jpg

No jerry rigging sorry

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
door, how does a person start buying from this site? Do they require big yearly dollar spending?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have only purchased from the solar wholesaler , and they will sell you a piece of wire if you want. Of course I'm sure prices would go down the more you buy. If you watch eBay and Amazon you can get some amazing deals. That's what I'm doing ,just build it up over time.

Last edited:

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can you show us this calculation. No one has shown actual costs (parts and labour)of the entire system. Most people only show select parts of it. We pay .06 /KWH . Takes a lot of paid solar energy KWH to pay for itself without government handouts. Cool...if it really does payout.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here it comes: Province unveils $36-million solar rebate plan for homes and businesses | Edmont

An unsustainable industry propped up by gov't money (Read: OUR money. Read: higher power bills). These clowns will never learn. There will be three out of town companies that get rich and three relatives of NDP minsters that just happen to be solar experts that get rich....then they will be gone....with the $$$$.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a awesome set up, my cousins both in Northern Ontario have solar set ups like that in away. Back- diesel gen-set too boot.

There solar pannels are on a rotating system that follow the sun, they built all the big stuff them selves as they have the funds and human power.

House insurance is normal for them as the only thing coming from the out door system is the wires.

All by code since its easy too have friends come over too do it with a BBQ supper, and they return the favour by doing things for them. All win win.

Stove, furnace, hot water tank all run off propane, electricity powers up lights, tunes, ceiling fans and Internet.

Both places are off grid as it cost to much to get power brought in.

They only use it for 200 days a year, the rest of the time they are in the USA or other countries around the world.

They bought an island last year and are putting a self contained system on it too.
Cost is not a factor when you need to turn on a light or go on the Internet in their world.

The island comes with a old time chemical system that makes a gas too power up gas lamps, it's being re-installed too since there's no gas boat too bring propane too the island.

Make your own has always been their plan when off grid.

I'm lucky as my 1000 Watt gen-set that is very good on fuel, or ideas put solar pannels on my live in truck.

Awesome ideas for sure.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
USA solar pannel builders that took place in the Dick Chainey yesrs of the US slow down in the economy.

One solar power plant was on the East Coast as the other was on the West. They were just getting moved into the factories and the robottic arms showed up about that same time as it was big USA news about the jobs it was going to create.

The Chinese caught wind of this, so they cut the solar powers pannel market by 1/2,,, USA building opertunity was broke the next morning before getting off the ground too build the pannels in the home land.

But on companies broken dreams become the next companies expansion.
$0.35 on the dollar when it was par a few years ago.

LOL, funny thing about this is that all the West Coast robottic arms too make these solar pannels got bought up by my cousin.

They have all been turned into welders now as he's not into pop rivit stuff

The USA solar power pannel company had 3 kinda of robottic arms that never went into service, so the units still in the boxes he kept, the others he sold around the world.

One man's loss is another man's gain.
At least the solar pannel stuff is becoming more affordable as time goes by.

Always glad too share on building ideas that keep things moving along.

Pal Lem

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here it comes: Province unveils $36-million solar rebate plan for homes and businesses | Edmont

An unsustainable industry propped up by gov't money (Read: OUR money. Read: higher power bills). These clowns will never learn. There will be three out of town companies that get rich and three relatives of NDP minsters that just happen to be solar experts that get rich....then they will be gone....with the $$$$.

Typical NDP wealth redistribution. As I said throughout the thread .. Taxpayer founded nonsense that is totally unsustainable!
If it is so great , why does it need taxpayer funding ?
Lot of people getting rich of of taxpayer $$$ with this government!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typical NDP wealth redistribution. As I said throughout the thread .. Taxpayer founded nonsense that is totally unsustainable!
If it is so great , why does it need taxpayer funding ?
Lot of people getting rich of of taxpayer $$$ with this government!

Pretty much sums it up. I feel sorry for all the fools that get sucked into this.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know they are selling, but the payback on investment is closer to what I found when I looked at it for the new house. 16-19 Year payback.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know they are selling, but the payback on investment is closer to what I found when I looked at it for the new house. 16-19 Year payback.

Only because it is supplemented by funds from the gov't.....taxpayers....money from charging higher rates on other utilities.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our premier is building a Dam, you should hear all the bitching about that one. Even drunken azz David Suzuki is there protesting, probably on tax payers to boot. Once this Dam is completed we will see what works better, a modern dam, bird slicers or solar power. I am betting your sorry province will be needing our power.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our premier is building a Dam, you should hear all the bitching about that one. Even drunken azz David Suzuki is there protesting, probably on tax payers to boot. Once this Dam is completed we will see what works better, a modern dam, bird slicers or solar power. I am betting your sorry province will be needing our power.

Nope. By the time that dam is built, the conservatives/wild rose will be back in power and we will be back to burning coal like a mo-fo....cheap power for years to come....
Plus there's no way the Indians are gonna let that dam be built....or anything else in BC....they have the last word on anything now in BC...more likely your sorry province will need our electricity to power all the high rises and mega mansions the Chinese are gonna build in Vancouver....

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you show us this calculation. No one has shown actual costs (parts and labour)of the entire system. Most people only show select parts of it. We pay .06 /KWH . Takes a lot of paid solar energy KWH to pay for itself without government handouts. Cool...if it really does payout.

Take his payout timeline and double it. All calculations I've seen are based on 100% output of the solar cells installed.... not possible at this lattitude. Also, any excess is bought back at less than 2cents/KwH....and it's not bought back immediately. The amount is recorded and put into a "pool" where companies can buy it as part of a green initiative should they feel the need, sometime down the road. If nobody wants it, it just sits there. Its totally a feel good thing for all the tree huggers.... an absolute farce.
The only time a solar array is of any practical use is for someone out in the sticks off the grid, and then only for lighting....

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dam is being build as we speak

https://www.sitecproject.com/sites/default/files/site-c-employment-numbers-december-2016.pdf

Nope. By the time that dam is built, the conservatives/wild rose will be back in power and we will be back to burning coal like a mo-fo....cheap power for years to come....
Plus there's no way the Indians are gonna let that dam be built....or anything else in BC....they have the last word on anything now in BC...more likely your sorry province will need our electricity to power all the high rises and mega mansions the Chinese are gonna build in Vancouver....

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as you are connected to the grid would you still not have to pay all the absurd monthly surcharges that make up most of a monthly power bill? If so where is the incentive to go green? The actual cost of power is relatively cheap, it's all those surcharges that push the bill through the roof

Top Bottom