Canadian Investments In Solar Power Tanked For 2nd Straight Year(TAKE NOTE NOTELY!!)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The solar energy industry experienced a serious boom in both the U.S. and China last year, but for the second year in a row Canadian investments plummeted.
One in 50 new jobs created in the U.S. last year was in solar, according to The Solar Foundation — a 25 per cent increase from 2015.

But that's nothing compared to China, which officially became the world's biggest producer of solar energy after it doubled its photovoltaic capacity, bringing it to 77.42 gigawatts, Reuters reported on Saturday.
In December, the World Economic Forum released a report that showed in 30 countries, solar or wind has dropped below the price of coal.

In Canada however, solar isn't looking so bright. New investments dropped 46 per cent in 2016, bringing it to the lowest its been in a decade, according to data from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF),
AAmIFA1.img
© James MacDonald/Bloomberg via Getty Workers move a solar panel at an assembly plant in Toronto. Some industry voices attribute the decline to the fulfillment of provincial policies that promoted renewables in Quebec and Ontario.
"No other region in Canada will supplant Ontario and Quebec's recent build. The better way to look at it from Canada’s perspective is that the last couple of years have really been an anomaly, based essentially on a bunch of projects coming through the pipeline all at the same time," Amy Grace, a researcher at BNEF, told the National Observer.
However, others are hopeful that solar will experience major growth in the next few years, as more companies contemplate switching to greener energy sources.
“It is pretty easy to see this industry standing on its own two feet economically, without subsidy, in a five-year time frame,” Greg Payne, vice-president of a Toronto clean-tech investment firm, told The Globe and Mail.
Canada's federal government has also committed to supporting more clean energy, as have Alberta and Saskatchewan's governments.
Follow The Huffington Post Canada on , Twitter, and Instagram.

Kind

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it can't survive without a subsidy then it should die, just like Bombardier.

We should all technically have shares in that ****ty company.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So, with that logic the oil companies should die too? Or we should all be shareholders?

They make billions of dollars a year and still get subsidies. Why should they get handouts yet a company trying to make it work doesn't?

#letsgochamp

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, with that logic the oil companies should die too? Or we should all be shareholders?

They make billions of dollars a year and still get subsidies. Why should they get handouts yet a company trying to make it work doesn't?

#letsgochamp
Yup they should die too, no room for taxpayer money in publicly traded companies.

Or if we are going to do this how does my company apply for a $372 Million interest free loan?

#doyouknowhashtagsdontworkhere

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Solar energy has two challenges: Cost per watt (which has come down drastically) and storage of the power generated to get you through periods of low sunlight (November 1 through to March 1) in Alberta.

Some really interesting advances made on the panel side of things but it will be years before some will go into production. The battery technology is moving along but at a slower pace.

Karl Clark started oil sands research in 1927 and it took 50 years to make the process profitable and technology continues to evolve and improve. Solar, as we know it never really started until the 1970's so it is probably still about 10 years from break even but we will get there...eventually.

As to Bombardier, it is a bit of a sore point with me too. I suppose you have to weigh the current cost against abandoning this sector again Remember Avro? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada

When it was shut down, virtually all of the engineering talent went to NASA.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a scientist & don't work for nasa ... But Arizona and the Southern states get a tad more sunshine than northern Canada ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You also don't need to store power anymore. Most systems installed today are grid-tie. This means you are connected directly to Enmax or whoever your power company is. They will install a meter and basically you use the power you generate directly. You can reduce your power bill and if you create enough you receive a credit. The only time you need batteries is if your off-grid.
We also have Mr. Battery right here in Calgary who just won a million dollars for his research and development in batteries technology.

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to news today, numerous Albertan's are waiting to see what programs the gov is going to offer in March. I suspect solar will have a decent run after the announcements. Alberta has the highest number of sunny days out of all the provinces. It makes sense here. There are a couple Ontario based engineers that came up with a very simple solar panel adder that enhances the panel efficiency when snow covered. Apparently very effective.

Gov's announcements in March will be very interesting. Let's see if the programs are only good for those that can afford it...i.e. wealthy or good for the average joe.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a mixed system now , battery bank for back up ,and grid tie. The problem with grid tie is if the grid goes down , so does your solar system. They don't want you back feeding the grid and frying a lineman :). I am waiting to see as well. Panels are cheap right now so I might invest in ten more.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadian Investments In Solar Power Tanked For 2nd Straight Year(TAKE NOTE NO...

You also don't need to store power anymore. Most systems installed today are grid-tie. This means you are connected directly to Enmax or whoever your power company is. They will install a meter and basically you use the power you generate directly. You can reduce your power bill and if you create enough you receive a credit. The only time you need batteries is if your off-grid.
We also have Mr. Battery right here in Calgary who just won a million dollars for his research and development in batteries technology.

Lol ,what if you in the country and the nearest power is 4 miles away ?
Over the years have built a lot of homes in the country that initially went OFF grid to start ... All of them ended up on grid , sooner or later . With tens of thousands of $$ of solar equipment wasting away ...
Every one who did , said never again .

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty ridiculous! Solar equipment doesn't waste away. Buy a string inverter or some enphase micro inverters and tie into the grid. Anyone who would let it just waste away has a lot more money than brains lol. Pass along their phone numbers I'll gladly go collect their wasting away solar equipment!
My system is awesome !! I wouldn't trade it for the world. Of course this is from my own real world experience.
1260 amp hours of battery and 3000w inverter just in case.

And generator transfer switch just in case lol

You can never have enough back ups lol

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can see solar power and anyway you can produce power becoming a hot commodity when they phase out of coal generation takes effect. it's all about cost.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

#letsgochamp
Oil companies haven't received subsidies since the mid sixties. They get tax credits for certain projects or infrastructures. Big difference.
As for solar power, if you buy and install a solar system on anything but your RV, you're misguided and have wasted your money. It's a financially unsustainable power source, and the quotes regarding China and the US don't mention the HUGE subsidies from governments required to build and maintain the solar facilities.
If it was a financially viable source of power, the utility companies would be doing it.
Solar facilities don't run on the sun. They run on subsidies.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there has been any solar or wind farms that have ever come close to making money in north America. The peoples math sucks when they show profits -nobody counts all the real costs. Very expensive initial installation costs never see a return except with government hand outs . Maintenance is very expensive for both as well (no cheap labour works on windmills or large solar installations) . Coal ,gas and nuclear profit at todays prices with no handouts.Wind and solar produce less than 20% of the rated capacity in real life on average year and need to charge way more per kwh.New carbon taxes and other handouts blind people from seeing the truth.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadian Investments In Solar Power Tanked For 2nd Straight Year(TAKE NOTE NO...

Door .. Figure of speech lol..
But the fact is ... It does not pay for itself ... It won't when even the NDP rape us to subsidize it ...
Sorry , but those are the facts ... Lol

Do you have any idea what it costs to run power up to the "grid "in the country ?? While all the big technical talk sounds impressive , i don't really feel like subsidizing any more NDP green bright idea !!
Didn't think so ....!

Last edited:

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a mixed system now , battery bank for back up ,and grid tie. The problem with grid tie is if the grid goes down , so does your solar system. They don't want you back feeding the grid and frying a lineman :). I am waiting to see as well. Panels are cheap right now so I might invest in ten more.

let us know where and what name you can trust, lol

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Solar wholesaler has 265w polycrystalline PV panels for $239. Made by Canadian solar right here in Canada.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Canadian Investments In Solar Power Tanked For 2nd Straight Year(TAKE NOTE NO...

Door .. Figure of speech lol..
But the fact is ... It does not pay for itself ... It won't when even the NDP rape us to subsidize it ...
Sorry , but those are the facts ... Lol

Do you have any idea what it costs to run power up to the "grid "in the country ?? While all the big technical talk sounds impressive , i don't really feel like subsidizing any more NDP green bright idea !!
Didn't think so ....!

How much does it cost ? If they have switched back to the grid ?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new technology is really inexpensive. 1 PV unit plus 1 micro inverter will pay you back in 4-5 years. Add in wire, mounting system, permits and enmax fee for hook up of net metering your looking at 5-7. PV panel has a 30 year life expectancy, inverter 25 years. The enmax meter is their baby from what I understand. I haven't got that far yet. That's based on current electricity prices. If it goes up it's a win for you.

If you want super cheap and easy ( not code compliant yet :)) 1 PV panel and a $100 micro inverter that plugs into any 120v wall outlet and you are back feeding the grid with power. In other words creating the power you are using.
Example
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/140938704801

The government doesn't make it easy to go green though. I can pull a homeowner permit to completely wire my house and garage( done it) but a home owner can't pull a solar generator permit. Pretty ridiculous because the new systems create the 120v/240v right on the roof. From there it's basic 14/2 or whatever you are planning on running. The permit is based on the cost of the system.
Doing your own work can save thousands and the companies doing this work know that. Also don't pay for someone to "design" your system lol.
Another option is to lease a system. They supply everything it's a turn key operation. No money down or very little. What you save in utilities you pay to the leasing company. Then just like a car if you want to keep it you pay out the residual. Always a way for someone to make a buck lol
If you are interested in learning about solar there are lots of free and low cost seminars around

Last edited:
Top Bottom