Canadian Household Debt at all-time high.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s the baby boomer inheritance funds kicking in. There’s gonna be a mad grab for all the easy money coming to these people. Generation scrimp and save is handing it too easy come easy go. We are definitely in the” live for the now “times. I must be doing something wrong though. All my toys are paid for, but I never have time to use them because I’m too busy working.

All I inherited was 5 funeral bills

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This... Child abuse is up, spousal abuse is up and sadly more families not feeding their kids.

yup, people finding their inflated lifestyle is coming to an end, wondering how they are going to pay it off? or why they can't get financed for the caddy and have to settle for the cavalier. lol.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am one of the people that live for now. We do pretty good with our wages and own a lot. Some stuff is financed. We don't a ton of cash in the bank. Some investments. I do not believe in the save for the future and only pay for things with cash. I have known a people that worked and worked for the future only to pass away before that time comes. Sorry but I want to enjoy life as it goes along and don't want to wait to "live". I don't want to end up in a car crash tomorrow, wind up paralyzed and wish I had done more with my life (but hey I have a big bank account).

Absolutely!!
Moderation between living and living past a persons means.
You can do just as much with a lot less invested if you don’t need the,
-$115000 dollar SUV
$100000 dollar diesel truck
$ mortgaged RV
$ huge mortgage payments
Buy what you can afford and go have fun as it doesn’t need to be the latest and greatest?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absolutely!!
Moderation between living and living past a persons means.
You can do just as much with a lot less invested if you don’t need the,
-$115000 dollar SUV
$100000 dollar diesel truck
$ mortgaged RV
$ huge mortgage payments
Buy what you can afford and go have fun as it doesn’t need to be the latest and greatest?

I wish I could afford the latest and greatest. I also wish I could afford to give away machines at what people think they are worth on Kijiji vs what I think they are worth lol

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well. Here’s something else that always got me fired up. I am a tradesmen. I did an apprenticeship and worked my way up to great money. I have three very close friends that all went to university. So basically 4 years of ramen noodles and extremely light beer. They all graduate and are now making over $100k/year. Boom. Get big houses and then reality and life hits them. They have no idea how to ha dale money, how it works etc etc. Massive mortgages and no clue how to cope and handle. More people are renting. Let the homeowner worry about that leaky water heater or the windows that need to be changed. Pricing on houses in city’s and suburbs were out of hand anyways.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well. Here’s something else that always got me fired up. I am a tradesmen. I did an apprenticeship and worked my way up to great money. I have three very close friends that all went to university. So basically 4 years of ramen noodles and extremely light beer. They all graduate and are now making over $100k/year. Boom. Get big houses and then reality and life hits them. They have no idea how to ha dale money, how it works etc etc. Massive mortgages and no clue how to cope and handle. More people are renting. Let the homeowner worry about that leaky water heater or the windows that need to be changed. Pricing on houses in city’s and suburbs were out of hand anyways.

This really bothers me too, so dam many dogooders making changes to the building codes add 20000 here and 30000 there. Needs to be reset so people can afford...."small" homes again.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it was easier for the average homebuyer to buy a home in the 50's , 60's , or 70's ? I mean home price relative to average income ? Gross debt and total debt service ratios have been very similar to what they are now for years. Do you remember your Dad telling you stories about the crazy bugger friends of theirs that were borrowing to buy that new camper/cabin/trailer/boat/motorcycle/Vette/big fancy house ........ Etc. not really sure if it's actually worse now or if our perception is different .

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This really bothers me too, so dam many dogooders making changes to the building codes add 20000 here and 30000 there. Needs to be reset so people can afford...."small" homes again.

Yea. House poor. Beautiful house. Can’t afford a Dairy Queen.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it was easier for the average homebuyer to buy a home in the 50's , 60's , or 70's ? I mean home price relative to average income ? Gross debt and total debt service ratios have been very similar to what they are now for years. Do you remember your Dad telling you stories about the crazy bugger friends of theirs that were borrowing to buy that new camper/cabin/trailer/boat/motorcycle/Vette/big fancy house ........ Etc. not really sure if it's actually worse now or if our perception is different .

I believe those were in hose were my dads exact words. Crazy buggers. What blows me away is that these students roll out of 4 years of poverty and have $100k worth of debt in education and get a mortgage. A $450k mortgage. Maybe that’s what’s changed.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better to have a mortgage over 30 years then to pay rent for 10 years and then get a mortgage for 30 years. Over that 10 years you paid rent that money could have went into your pocket instead of someone else’s

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
To the OP I think the reason we don't see any fire sales is that they are trying to sell higher for what the owe to get some equity out of it OR that is what they owe on it cause they financed over such a long period. I keep trolling kijiji as well for smoking deals the ones i usually find is for something i don't want.
He is an example of a 23 yr old millennial I work with he make good money bought a house a yr ago (good on him) with his parents help. Owes 90k and a 3 yr old lifted chev duramax he thinks is worth 60k he wanted to get a loan for 30k to pay down his truck to where he can sell it so he will only have a 30K loan payment. Or sell his house to get the equity out to pay down the truck to sell it. He also has a big sport bike thats parked that he cannot sell bought it 2 years ago for 8K insurance was for him was 6K for the summer took out a loan next summer another 6k and another loan so he is not riding this year so far he owes 20k on a bike thats worth less than 5k he also owns an older corvette he keeps sinking money into as well as 2 dirt bikes a quad and an older sled sure he owes money on all.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Different up bringing I guess as we had food and shelter and lots of work . Lol
Very small house , one vehicle and tools to feed livestock that we used for food .
Wood heat ,big garden and wild meat .
Don’t remember Mom and dad having next to nothing for dept as we didn’t need much and wants where something that was useful and a tool.
Traps for trapping , old tractor , saddle horse or farm equipment etc.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If people are really struggling, it would only been a matter of time before it catches up and things are sold, or taken. Unless they can pull equity out of house, etc, the late payments would pile up.

I will admit I built a massive house on spec and overdid it, and coupled with the downturn the timing with awful, and fed up with the massive mortgage payments and moving back into one of my rental houses this year. A single guy doesn't need a 5000 sq/ft house.

I do remember in my early 20's buying my first place and not having a lot of disposable income after mortgage, truck payment, etc. But if you're responsible it's worth it for the short term for having that stuff. Then again I sold the sled and lifted truck before I bought the house. I don't buy the whole ratio's though, they are so skewed. They don't factor things in like kids, etc. A single person needs a lot less to live well then people with kids.

Rent instead of own? Awesome I love that. I just got a $500 bill for fixing 2 appliances, big deal. I've had one for 4 years, another for 3, and another for 2. In all that time this is the first repair that's cost me money. My rentals are combined cash flow negative of $800/month, but pay off over $30k in the mortgages a year. With no rise in property value i'm making $20k a year. In it for the long term where they will end up all paid off. And hopefully rents will go up this year and cut the negative cash flow in half or better.

I fondly remember the times of only having $8k in monthly payments :( More like $18k now. All the payments can get somewhat stressful, but overall not bad. Renters are pretty good as the rentals are a decent chunk.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^
And now the good old Gov. will want a big chunk when you decide to sell at later date.
Cash is king and just making enough to pay payment. Lol

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^
And now the good old Gov. will want a big chunk when you decide to sell at later date.
Cash is king and just making enough to pay payment. Lol

If they do change, it the end still won't pay much if anything in taxes. I claim the income every year so the sale is tax free. If they changed it, I would have the benefit of the bit of income i've claimed the whole time. Plus I lived in each one for a bit, so you can skew the initial price a bit. On top of it all, I have no intention of selling any of them. Keep them till the mortgages are paid off.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am one of the people that live for now. We do pretty good with our wages and own a lot. Some stuff is financed. We don't a ton of cash in the bank. Some investments. I do not believe in the save for the future and only pay for things with cash. I have known a people that worked and worked for the future only to pass away before that time comes. Sorry but I want to enjoy life as it goes along and don't want to wait to "live". I don't want to end up in a car crash tomorrow, wind up paralyzed and wish I had done more with my life (but hey I have a big bank account).

“Live for today with an eye for the future,” a wise man once said

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Exactly!!!

I was not part of the Pierre Trudeau interest rate era, but I remember lots of stories about double digit mortgage rates. Guys throwing their keys on the desk etc, could I have the latest and greatest every year??? Oh yah! But I chose not to.
I dont think the perception has changed, but maybe it got worse, due to the low interest rates on borrowing. How many new trucks and sleds would be sold if the interest rate was at 10%......

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 81 my dad built his house. He paid 60000. 20000 down and the remaining 40000 was mortgaged at 18%. That 40000 was at like 20 years at 800 a month. Crazy.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 81 my dad built his house. He paid 60000. 20000 down and the remaining 40000 was mortgaged at 18%. That 40000 was at like 20 years at 800 a month. Crazy.

What's it worth today ?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife was a receptionist at a bank in Fort Mac back in the mid 80 when Suncor went out on strike and she had guys throwing keys on her desk and walking away. She figured having all the new toys and new truck with a big house and TONS on debt was too much for these guys. After that time if I needed a new whatever I needed to work more overtime and save for the new toy. If I didn't have most of the cash I didn't get it. Sure was tough back then but sure is sweeeet now.
Exactly!!!

I was not part of the Pierre Trudeau interest rate era, but I remember lots of stories about double digit mortgage rates. Guys throwing their keys on the desk etc, could I have the latest and greatest every year??? Oh yah! But I chose not to.
I dont think the perception has changed, but maybe it got worse, due to the low interest rates on borrowing. How many new trucks and sleds would be sold if the interest rate was at 10%......

Top Bottom