Can ride with confidence finally.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2004 Polaris Vertical edge 151" 800 two years ago. It had 234 miles on it when I bought it. I knew full well of the issues the 800s had in the bottom ends but thought I'd roll the dice due to it's insanely low miles. Last year I could hear something I didn't like. Kind of a metallic rattling sound. So I gave Indy Dan a call at Indy Specialty and crated up my engine and sent it off.
Just got the call, it's done and will be on a truck on its way home. What he figures the noise was I was hearing was the exhaust valves rattling. I was keeping the valves WAY to clean. When he checked the bottom end the PTO side was out of tolerance and the case bores were loose so I think I made the right call by getting it looked at.
He went through the entire engine. Replaced the water pump belt while it was apart. New rings, shortened up the exhaust valves and went to the orange exhaust valve diaphragms, re freshened up my clutch. I now have a Torque Master TMX bottom end with 3 year warranty. He also did something to the rods as a preventative measure. I basically told him to do his magic on it, anything he recommended to keep this motor alive for a long time do it. Cant wait to get it back in and get it ready to go!! I also upgraded my seat last year to a skinz set up with mountain addiction gas cans. Got out with it twice after adding the seat and cans..... The snow can't come soon enough.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love the color scheme on those sleds! Have fun riding it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daniump

Reaction score
Nice sled,have pretty much the same one with 1700 miles. If you don't mind me asking,what did this work cost. Wondering if I should be doing the same thing with mine. It's running fine but for how long with the bottom end issues.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 03 vertical escape. I had Ralph from split second do porting and case porting. Ran crank shop twins. That sled was a rocket back in the day. Put 2000 miles on it and no problems ever.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Daniump, Wasn't cheap but I figured the sled was worth putting the money into as it now has 800 miles on it. Was $2,840.00 including freight back to me.

I'm really enjoying this sled. It's more than I need with the skill level I'm at. Every year getting better..... Last year I rode it with out the sway bar... HUGE difference, loved it. The new seat raised me up and is making it even easier to lay over in a seated position.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I would add.... If the bottom end does go you will more than liking need to replace the case which will add more to the rebuild. I had the clutch balanced by Dan before last season as a precautionary measure. He told me if I heard or felt anything weird shut it down immediately and tow it back to the truck to save the case.

Nice sled,have pretty much the same one with 1700 miles. If you don't mind me asking,what did this work cost. Wondering if I should be doing the same thing with mine. It's running fine but for how long with the bottom end issues.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Conragts big guy! I am a ski doo fan but always like those sleds .
My buddies and brother rode them and and my nephew has the hand me down with over 8000km,
Happy sleeding.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Conragts big guy! I am a ski doo fan but always like those sleds .
My buddies and brother rode them and and my nephew has the hand me down with over 8000km, rides the tevy hills with us every winter with minor wrenching.
No differnt from the rest of us.
Happy sleeding.

kimrick, this is what I want to hear. Dans got a pretty good reputation for building wicked engines so if I can get that kind of life out of it I will be pleased.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sharp lookin sled Highfly. I love the yellow and black. I am a cat man but have always liked the look of the vertical escape. Enjoy your new motor...

daniump

Reaction score
Cool,thanks for the reply. Feel like mine is more than what I need as well! Glad to hear about the sway bar,was thinking of doin that also. Happy sledding!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sharp lookin sled Highfly. I love the yellow and black. I am a cat man but have always liked the look of the vertical escape. Enjoy your new motor...

Hey thanks. I had the same sled in red, a 600 141" (now my daughters). I was out on that and a yellow 800 crested a hill in front of me. I thought to myself man that is a cool looking sled and a 800 to boot. I made the mistake of looking on Kijiji and low and behold I find this one in Okotoks with 234 miles on it. Long story short went and looked at it and brought it home.

Daniump, The sway bar can be removed with out cutting it. Drill out the three pop rivets on either side. You will need to drop the suspension off one side and she pops right out. At first I thought it had to be cut so wasn't willing to risk it as I wouldn't be able to put it back on. Give it a try! I also removed it on my daughters 600 and she likes it as well.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question.... I'm tracking my engine. It left Winnipeg yesterday so should be here soon.

Do I need to be aware of anything when I put this back in?? Bleed the oil system so I have no air in it or anything crazy like that. Do I need to burp the antifreeze (will it air lock)?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the oil system, you could always run premix the first tank just to make sure the oil systems working. Coolant will probably need to be burped just get your sled as vertical as you can (front end of sled on a ramp of some sort) and let it idle. Massage the coolant lines too to force any bubbles out. You should notice a change in coolant level when you bring it down off the ramp.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of issues that would be specific to that motor or chassis but yes when you install it you should bleed the oil pump if it has a bleed screw also hook a wire around the oil pump lever and hold it full open while letting the sled idle until up to operating temp (10-20 minutes). To get the air out of the cooling system drive it up on a ramp or something steep and let it idle for 15-20 minutes and it should cycle all the air out of the system.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Got it back and found in the crate install instructions. Was pretty much what you said. Bleed fuel injector pump and run 50:1 for first tank. Also wanted me to heat soak the engine a few times which was perfect for getting coolant worked through the system. I've spin it up a few times and the clutch doesn't seem to want to take anymore torque so he either ran it or didn't remove it when he freshened it up.

Had to laugh at the break in instructions. Says "During break in give it full throttle from time to time but no extended full throttle pulls for at least 300 miles. After 300 miles ride it like a rental". LMAO.

All polished up and no place to go......

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Got it back and found in the crate install instructions. Was pretty much what you said. Bleed fuel injector pump and run 50:1 for first tank. Also wanted me to heat soak the engine a few times which was perfect for getting coolant worked through the system. I've spin it up a few times and the clutch doesn't seem to want to take anymore torque so he either ran it or didn't remove it when he freshened it up.

Had to laugh at the break in instructions. Says "During break in give it full throttle from time to time but no extended full throttle pulls for at least 300 miles. After 300 miles ride it like a rental". LMAO.

All polished up and no place to go......

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/800/20141_zps2e44ad30.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/800/20142_zpsc60100fe.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/800/20144_zps87dc8cf1.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/800/20143_zps3b9cb420.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/800/20145_zpsb217243f.jpg
The clutch typically won't get loose or take additional torqueing after its been run. Its good insurance to check it now and then but I've never had one that sucked in after installation and then took any amount of noticeable additional torque after. He would have had to remove it to do the crank work, no way around it. Once you tighten them down then they usually don't move at all.

Top Bottom