Can anyone help with my Polaris clutching issue???

crowsfeet

Reaction score
Ok,last year I replaced the primary on a 2006 rmk 600 because of stress cracking on the sheaves.Now this year the new clutch is sticking and not disengaging as quick as it should. I pulled the spring cover off and the spring out.The spider is not sliding smoothly back and forth on the shaft as it should,is there a bushing in between that needs to be replaced? It feels like there is a little play between the two.And how hard would would it be for a "backyard mech" like myself to change this bushing or should I take it to the dealer? I have a Coquihalla trip planned in a couple of days so I'm also questioning whether it's safe to ride the sled the way it is? I don't think that it will really damage anything or can it? Any thoughts you guys???

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride yamaha and have played with the clutch and theirs no bushing on that part of the clutch. I would use some fine mechanics sandpaper and clean the shaft and the hole u may have a bur on it good luck

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is probably a small nick on the bushing that slides along the shaft. if you have the tools to get it that far apart you are far beyond most backyardy techs lol.
clean it up with some emery cloth and see how it gos. the wifes 800 was doing the same thing last year but only after the clutch got hot, everything expands, bushing gets really tight. ended up seizing in the engaged position was a fun ride out of the bush that day.
good luck

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride yamaha and have played with the clutch and theirs no bushing on that part of the clutch. I would use some fine mechanics sandpaper and clean the shaft and the hole u may have a bur on it good luck

There is a bushing on the sliding sheave on a Yamaha.

If the Polaris is anything like a yamaha to replace, they're kind of a pain to do ( not to be mistaken with hard to do). You need a vice, a special holder to bolt the clutch too, another special tool plus a snipe to spin off the fixed Sheave, and LOTS of heat. I'm not familiar with the Polaris set up but I would think of it to be along the same line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To get at the bushing on a Polaris clutch you need special tools. If you want it rebuilt take it to someone who has the tools. I would pull your weights and pins out and clean them up with some brake clean, also I would spray the main shaft to clean it. My clutch was doing this last year and it will act worst in higher elevations but I just cleaned mine up and it works great.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To get at the bushing on a Polaris clutch you need special tools. If you want it rebuilt take it to someone who has the tools. I would pull your weights and pins out and clean them up with some brake clean, also I would spray the main shaft to clean it. My clutch was doing this last year and it will act worst in higher elevations but I just cleaned mine up and it works great.
Dont forget to

Last edited by a moderator:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont lube it. It will get on belt and slip. Longhair again has false info. Dont believe all that gets said on the internet
I wonder why Polaris makes clutch lube? Having said that if you run your sled till your clutches stick you need to rethink your maintenance program. I service mine after each weekend and use Polaris clutch lube with pride. Oh ya bad clutching causes belt dust.

Last edited:

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok,last year I replaced the primary on a 2006 rmk 600 because of stress cracking on the sheaves.Now this year the new clutch is sticking and not disengaging as quick as it should. I pulled the spring cover off and the spring out.The spider is not sliding smoothly back and forth on the shaft as it should,is there a bushing in between that needs to be replaced? It feels like there is a little play between the two.And how hard would would it be for a "backyard mech" like myself to change this bushing or should I take it to the dealer? I have a Coquihalla trip planned in a couple of days so I'm also questioning whether it's safe to ride the sled the way it is? I don't think that it will really damage anything or can it? Any thoughts you guys???
I would take it to a dealer.They should have whatever parts you need and the proper tools!You'll need a puller to get it off the sled and a good vise and a wrench to split it anyways.Cheaper to fix it now than when it piles up completely in some bad spot in the mountains and you have a hell of a time getting a dead sled out!

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what my 2012 manual said about lubricating you rollers and weights. It said do not lubricant! See photo.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325227397.004582.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325227397.004582.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 53
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325227417.914504.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325227417.914504.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 58

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what my 2012 manual said about lubricating you rollers and weights. It said do not lubricant! See photo.
It says they MAY become damaged. Ive been using Polaris clutch lube since 2004 and will continue to do so. Never had a sticky clutch or a bushing issue and I dont think I ever will.

Top Bottom