Camping Gear Reviews

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice grill arff:beer::d

Seriously tho anything Campchef is money well spent. I have a 2 burner gas stove (11yrs old), and a new 3 burner (new yesterday), plus 2 griddles, 3 dutch ovens, 2 cast iron skillets, and other odds and ends from them. Good stuff!!!!!!! The Coleman stuff is ok, but I find that it tends to not last as long, but will save you $$ if you don't use it all that much.
No help on the air bed since we use Cabelas cots when tent camping.

Good thread btw!!!!:beer:

I agree with you bullfrog. great site.

I saw a three burner with the dutch oven and gridddles and cast iron frying pans at Cosco a couple of years ago. regret now for not buying it. I beleive it was on for $300.00. Is that a good price? do they still carry them.

If any one knows Please RSVP

Thanks

bullfrog123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you bullfrog. great site.

I saw a three burner with the dutch oven and gridddles and cast iron frying pans at Cosco a couple of years ago. regret now for not buying it. I beleive it was on for $300.00. Is that a good price? do they still carry them.

If any one knows Please RSVP

Thanks

Holy shat!!!! For that price I woulda bought 2 sets!! My 3 burner I just got cost $210.00 US. Other stuff has been purchased over the last 10-12 yrs;)

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After years of buying air mattresses i have deicided most all of them are garbage. Cheap or top of the line with leak warranties etc. , after some time they all seem to lose a small amount of air over night and need a top up the next evening. Meanwhile your back is sore from sagging into the low mattress.
I have since found the best bed, a camp cot, make sure to get an extra large size one. They are easy to set up, no leaks, no pumping, and very comfy day after day. They are easy on the wallet as well, found mine at Can-Tire this spring for $50.00, but normally expect to pay closer to $100.00 . For a little added comfort add a small foamy under your sleeping bag.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anybody still tents out there, the wife and I bought Therma-Rest mattresses a few years back and they are great. No pumps required, and no sore back in the morning. They also insulate b/w you and the ground. Best camping item purchase ever for us.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2, I have one of those therma-rest mats too that I take with on fire with me, night and day difference and would easily spend the money on that setup again.

My camping looks a little different than yours haha, my gear is usually packed in a small backpack on my kayak or backpacking/biking in the badlands here, no campers usually and have to pack LIGHT!

The MSR PocketRocket stove. Really compact, only weighs like 3 ounces, and uses any brand butane canister. Boils water in only a few minutes, perfect for cooking on small pots and really quick cooking spam.

Picked up the North Face tadpole 23 tent a few years back and it is by far the lightest, easiest to put up, most durable backpacking tent I have ever had. Weight is under 3 lbs and has held up to a few really wild thunderstorms. Has a nice low profile for windy locations, and a nice little overhang by the entrance to keep all your gear "inside" over the night, no morning dew on your gear :beer:

Lots of other cool stuff I pack on me, but those are the few things you guys might like if you need light-weight.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice double pie iron SumX, gotta get me one.

I like to bring along shredded spuds (thru a cheese grater) and put some in the iron for breakfast....just like Mickey D's hash browns! lol....

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is my newly discovered camping utility. A friend of mine gave me one and I cook with it all the time now in camp. Everything from Pies to Grill Cheeses, you name it. I just cooked shrimp in it tonight Yummmm. Smores work great in them to :d

They do work great just dont buy the cheap ones,If they are not cast iron they burn every thing.Barbeque Country sell the good ones!
catmando!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
This is my newly discovered camping utility. A friend of mine gave me one and I cook with it all the time now in camp. Everything from Pies to Grill Cheeses, you name it. I just cooked shrimp in it tonight Yummmm. Smores work great in them to :d

there's something wrong with that one though.. its got them shrimp things in it.... totally ruined now!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cosco had the Expedition 3X triple burner camp chef 2 months ago it came with a frying pan.
I purchased a griddle after.
I think it was 260.00 or something.
Peeve mart has them as well.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do people still actually still eat Spam Rob?man that stuff is rude.Just my opinion though.lol

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do people still actually still eat Spam Rob?man that stuff is rude.Just my opinion though.lol
Have you ever had hotdogs? If yes, then you can eat spam. Really isn't all that bad...

There are different ways to cook it to make it a better. I take it with out firefighting because it packs well, doesn't really go bad haha, and is a good meal besides MRE's. I use the little kool-aid packets in the MRE's to cook in the spam (single mix kool-aid's work too). I prefer grape, but any will work haha. Pour it in the top, cover the top again, cook till its done, and enjoy, tastes like a glazed ham!!! lol

dirtygirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.safetybuilders.com
Yes! That is one sweet camp stove!:p
I'm sorry we bought the coleman now!:eek:

Rob - Spam and Koolaide - hmmmm sounds like a 9 year old boy cooked that one up!:eek:

I'm not sure we'll put that in the S&M cookbook!

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes! That is one sweet camp stove!:p
I'm sorry we bought the coleman now!:eek:

Rob - Spam and Koolaide - hmmmm sounds like a 9 year old boy cooked that one up!:eek:

I'm not sure we'll put that in the S&M cookbook!
HAHA, learned it from a smoke jumper out of MT, thought it looked like a 3rd grade idea too, but after eating it, using what you get in a MRE and bringing a little fo your own at least gives ya a chance to eat something not freeze dried.

Looking for some other foods that you ca pack in and not have to worry about spoiling, any other ideas out there? Granola bars get old on day 2.... haha

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some other foods that you ca pack in and not have to worry about spoiling, any other ideas out there? Granola bars get old on day 2.... haha

Trail mix is always a treat. I tend to buy bulk olympic mix, as well as bulk smarties to spice it up and make it extra delicious. There is something about smarties when you have been hiking for two or three days that makes them ever so tasty.

Top Bottom