Camping and Sledding

Rufer19

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been covered before or not, but I was wondering if it is possible to pull a toyhauler up to a Staging Area/Camping area and be able to ride your sleds out to the trail from there? Looking at somewhere in that Fernie, Crowsnest Area. Looking at doing it for Easter Weekend? My Parents were wanting to take their toyhauler and try it out, and I was looking to get one last ride in. It's not a big deal if they can't camp close to the trail as I would be taking my own truck and sled deck. But they were looking for "free camping". Keep in mind their toyhauler is a triple axle with a 2 wheel drive freightliner, so options for parking are a bit limited. But definately let me know what's out there as we were thinking to bring out the whole family and possibly even rent a few sleds.
Thanks.
CR

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow you are pulling a lot of weight with a 2 wheel drive, around snow and iced parking lots and forestry roads. i think chains are needed. good luck may be an adventure.

Rufer19

Reaction score
Yeah they've got chains for the truck. Wasn't sure how bad the logging roads and staging areas were still. Here in S/W Saskatchewan it's gotten up to +10` the last couple of days pretty much no snow left. But if it's still going to Icey and ugly on the roads they'll probably just stay in town. Know of any camp gounds in town or any that have easy access?
Thanks.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the snow line in fernie area is still quite low. normally this time of the year we are driving probably another 3 miles down the road.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You could doo it with lots of planning. Where's the snow line on the road, where's a big enough turn around, how much dirt doo we have to ride, etc.

In my eyes, the big problem is navigating the road on the ice/mud surface inbetween the deep ditches. It would be quite costly to get a big tow truck into some of those places.

A great idea and worth exploring:beer::beer::beer:

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there still snow on The INN on The Boarder Trail at Easter, you could park in there lot and stage from there. When i drove by there couple days ago it still had lots of snow.

Rufer19

Reaction score
Right on, thanks guys. Has anyone camped before at the INN? Do they allow this sort of thing? How is the riding on that side of the divide? Just checked the avalanche report, and looks like conditions have gotten much better than last week, anybody have any reports on conditions out there?
Thanks again.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on, thanks guys. Has anyone camped before at the INN? Do they allow this sort of thing? How is the riding on that side of the divide? Just checked the avalanche report, and looks like conditions have gotten much better than last week, anybody have any reports on conditions out there?
Thanks again.

Phone and talk to the owners Curtis or Verlee, both great peeps!

Phone: (403) 563-3101

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't just rely on the avy reports for your assessment of the snow, do some snow science when you are out there as well. The avy condition may be "low" overall, but that will change with solar radiation and heating in the afternoons. What may be good at 10 am might be a death trap at 2 pm when the snow has some moisture to it and is no longer bonded well.

For parking and camping, not a lot of areas to do it. Need to find a plowed road that still has snow in the ditches so that you can find a nice big pull out and camp there, then sled from your camping spot. Sleds are not meant for dirt and keep in mind that what might be snow in the morning could be dirt by the afternoon if there is only thin coverage in the AM to begin with!!! I know a guy that wound up riding 8 kms of dirt years ago because he forgot this rule.....

You'll need a very firm road base for a rig that large, keep in mind that you'll want to be pulling that unit in and out first thing in the mornings, this time of year you absolutely do not want to be on the logging roads in the afternoon on a warm day while the frost and wet spots are thawing. All it will take is one soft spot and that thing could be on its side in the ditch.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Park right in the staging area at corbin. big lot with snow right from the camper still. That will be you easiest place to camp and ride in that area. I talked with George the other day and he was talking about grooming for Easter so trail should be super nice. Cheers.

Rufer19

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Turns out we're just going to stay at the bed and breakfast in town. I think it's called Blackstone Lodge possibly? Hopefully be able to ride right from the cabin there? Anyone familiar with that area, never ridden from there before? Does it join up with coal creek? Any information on where to go from there would be great.
Thanks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Turns out we're just going to stay at the bed and breakfast in town. I think it's called Blackstone Lodge possibly? Hopefully be able to ride right from the cabin there? Anyone familiar with that area, never ridden from there before? Does it join up with coal creek? Any information on where to go from there would be great.
Thanks.

Ask the guy two pointed questions, "Does the trail still have snow on it all the way to the green bridge?" and "What were the conditions like on the trail yesterday?"

I'm thinking it will be a little dirt and rock from the B&B to the Coal Creek trail and I know it is getting black from the staging area to the green bridge.

Rufer19

Reaction score
So.... just to be clear?? Should would a fella be better off trailering to somewhere else or is riding from there going to be alright? Anyone going to be out this weekend in the area??
Thanks again.

Top Bottom