Calgary area sledder dies on test drive

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THIS ARTICLE WAS IN THE EDMONTON SUN TODAY:(

CALGARY -- Testing out a snowmobile on a Calgary acreage killed a rider who plowed into a barbed wire fence.

Sam Mitchell O'Brien, 47, was riding a snowmobile on a northeast acreage when he crashed about 2:50 p.m. yesterday.

Chad Tapper, who was selling the machine to his housemate, watched the fatal collision unfold from their front porch.

"He couldn't stop in time, he was going too fast," said Tapper, who also employed O'Brien at his roofing company.

"His neck got cut in the barbed wire fence - there was nothing you could do."

O'Brien's mother, Sharon Sobus of Edmonton, said the family is stunned by the "freak accident" that claimed his life.

"This is a tremendous shock to me," said Sobus. "There's been a lot of tragic accidents on these things and unfortunately he was one of them."

Traffic police are investigating the collision to determine whether speed or alcohol were factors.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to be a lot of barbed wire accidents in the 60's when I started to ride. Not so many now. It still is sad to see another lost life this year.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen the sled at the north services investigation yard last night while dropping a rig that was rear ended by a drunk woman. looked to be about a 95 mach z or there abouts, certainly not worth dieing for. cops told me the fellow was decapitated. not cool.

lisajensen

Reaction score
The snowmobiler who dies in this accident was my brother Sam "I AM" O'Brien. He was NOT test driving the machine he owned it.He was not drinking they believe that the throttle stuck and he could not stop. We believe he tried to hit the post in hopes of being simply hurt. The fact that the barbed wire slit his throat was a simple fluck. He was a great man and will be greatly missed. :(

KingCatz

Reaction score
Why not bail? or was he already pretty much on the fence when he seen the throttle was stuck?

lisajensen

Reaction score
We believe from the scene that he must have relized to late that he could not stop and probebly did panic. He did not ride all the time and it is possable he just was scared. I wonder at times when I see all the things people keep writting about him and the situation why people say anything at all. Do people not relize that accidents hapen in a spilt second and not everyone can "bail" out on the drop of a dime. If you are experienced anough great. But until you are in the situation then how would you know if you even could bail or kill the switch? He lived on that property and did know the fence was there.. so really do you not think if he did not panic or could,he would have bailed or killed it? He would have, I know he would have......
I hate this information age. It used to be in the old days people would pass and you would sit aound people would debate and argue or whatever but the family could not find it. The rude comments, the questions we have gotten I'll tell you it is ripping me apart each day, yet I feel like I have to defend and answer those who question him as he would never have wanted people to think ill of him. Accidents happen all the time and it was his time. There was nothing he could have done and we will never know what his final moments held. So please just remember him in your hearts and thoughts and let it lay in peace.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Agreed. A simple sorry for your loss would sufice here guys. Do you really think someone who just lost a brother needs to sit here and listen to you morons ask things like "why didnt he jump off". Were you on the machine?? were you watching what happened? did you see weather or not he hit a bump or something and couldnt carve out in time. Show some respect!

---Condolinces and sorry for your loss

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. A simple sorry for your loss would sufice here guys. Do you really think someone who just lost a brother needs to sit here and listen to you morons ask things like "why didnt he jump off". Were you on the machine?? were you watching what happened? did you see weather or not he hit a bump or something and couldnt carve out in time. Show some respect!

---Condolinces and sorry for your loss

Took the words right out of my mouth...........

Please Direct your posts to giving condolences to the family and have some respect.

My deepest condolences

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We believe from the scene that he must have relized to late that he could not stop and probebly did panic. He did not ride all the time and it is possable he just was scared. I wonder at times when I see all the things people keep writting about him and the situation why people say anything at all. Do people not relize that accidents hapen in a spilt second and not everyone can "bail" out on the drop of a dime. If you are experienced anough great. But until you are in the situation then how would you know if you even could bail or kill the switch? He lived on that property and did know the fence was there.. so really do you not think if he did not panic or could,he would have bailed or killed it? He would have, I know he would have......
I hate this information age. It used to be in the old days people would pass and you would sit aound people would debate and argue or whatever but the family could not find it. The rude comments, the questions we have gotten I'll tell you it is ripping me apart each day, yet I feel like I have to defend and answer those who question him as he would never have wanted people to think ill of him. Accidents happen all the time and it was his time. There was nothing he could have done and we will never know what his final moments held. So please just remember him in your hearts and thoughts and let it lay in peace.

Sorry for your loss, don't let a few people upset you more, remember the good times and don't worry about what other people think.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, don't let a few people upset you more, remember the good times and don't worry about what other people think.

X2...From my family to yours deepest condolances, remember the good times and disregard the rest....RIP

loganlakesnowqueen

Reaction score
I am deeply sorry for your loss. I am sure no one on these blogs intended to 'hurt' anyones feelings, and maybe feeling scared themselves, that it could have just as easily been them. My thoughts are with you, and your families.

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been a rough year in the sledding communty. Too many loses and one big question...why??? God bless you and your family in this time of tragedy and loss. I feel for you.

Barton

Top Bottom